Author Topic: Pint of Science talk across Europe in May  (Read 529 times)

Offline elena

• Brand New
Pint of Science talk across Europe in May
« on: April 30, 2017, 06:17:21 AM »
Hello SGU peeps,

I just wanted to let know anyone interested about the PoS events happening next month. Researchers from local universities come out of their caves and talk about the science they do in the pub. Topics are diverse this year from Social Science to Physics and Maths. I'm leaving a link for the UK one here if anyone is interested in having a look.
https://pintofscience.co.uk/

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
Re: Pint of Science talk across Europe in May
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:09:12 AM »
Thanks for the hint.

On a related note, ECSO (the European Council of Skeptical Organisations, a European-level umbrella group of skeptical organizations) has skeptical news from around Europe as well as a calendar of events related to skepticism and science taking place around in Europe.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 12:34:30 PM »
That looks awesome! Im hopping across the water in the next while and Im always looking for skeptical events when I do!

Offline elena

• Brand New
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2017, 08:21:39 AM »
Didn't know about the ECSO calendar. Thanks for that! ;D

Also, I didn't realise until recently but Pint of Science started picking up in Canada, Australia and Japan as well. It has to do a lot with grant agencies beginning to require the researchers to do more public engagement work. So is not all selfless. But regardless...
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 08:34:20 AM by elena »

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 08:24:57 AM »
Sounds like fun, but I'm a vast ocean away.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 04:35:19 PM »
If you are interested in European skepticism, there is also the European Skeptics Podcast. They are actually the ones curating the ECSO calendar (the calendar is available on their site too). It is hosted by three European skeptics, one from Sweden, one from Hungary, and one from Latvia (but apart from the introductory greetings, the podcast is in English). They tend to focus on European skepticism, but not strictly so. For example, they have interviewed Jay Novella.
"Large skepticism leads to large understanding. Small skepticism leads to small understanding. No skepticism leads to no understanding." - Xi Zhi

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 11:18:01 PM »
Sounds like fun, but I'm a vast ocean away.

'tis just a pond

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 11:25:54 PM »
As a recovering alcoholic I'd like to see more skeptic events in places that aren't pubs.

Online Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »
As a recovering alcoholic I'd like to see more skeptic events in places that aren't pubs.

I'm not an alcoholic, but I would like that too.

Offline elena

• Brand New
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 05:28:24 AM »

That is a very good point, one that we are also very concerned about. As the whole thing started in UK and really the main social infrastructure available are pubs, this was the obvious path.
Coffee shops are slowly catching up in offering spaces for informal meeting. Also, bigger book shops. But tradition is hard to budge...

Online Harry Black

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 05:53:14 AM »
It is actually really tough to find businesses that are open after work hours offering (enough) space in a convenient location.
Coffee shops in the UK usually shut at 5:30-6.
Even the ironically named 'insomnia' coffee company.

Ive been thinking about trying to do something at my local library regarding fake news but without the skeptics label. Struggling to think of a format though.

Offline elena

• Brand New
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 06:57:21 AM »
I know exactly what you mean by no available venues after 6.

Ive been thinking about trying to do something at my local library regarding fake news but without the skeptics label. Struggling to think of a format though.

That sounds awesome. If it helps in any way Glasgow has a cafe Scientifique event which takes place in a book shop (Waterstones). [http://www.gla.ac.uk/events/cafescientifique/ for inspiration] The event is free and I think the venue just gets the publicity and the fluff title of helping the community. The organisers brings speakers which are expert on chosen topics. There is a talk followed by Q&A, then a break and then more discussion type interaction. The crowd is pretty mixed which is quite nice.

Online Harry Black

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 10:08:35 AM »
I'll check that out! Thanks!

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 10:42:21 AM »
Other regions, like Australia (though it's a country, is also a continent) or wider Oceania, maybe could benefit from having similar calendars as ECSO, outlining skeptical events in the region.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2017, 02:54:16 AM »
Australia also has a tiny population for its size. We have approximately the same land area as the contiguous United States, and 10% of the population.

personate-rain