Author Topic: American Gods  (Read 1882 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: American Gods
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2017, 09:57:22 AM »
I like the book very much.  My son got me to read it a few years ago, and I'm reading the new, expanded version on my Kindle right now.  I want to watch the show, but I don't have Starz.  Is it available elsewhere?
It's on HULU.

FYI, not everything on Hulu is included under a Hulu subscription; some shows require a service provider login (such as last year's American Crime Story) or additional subscriptions to other services. It's the latest reason why I don't use them.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2017, 10:00:06 AM »
This has the most erections I have ever seen on a tv show.
Two thumbs up.
So to speak.

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2017, 11:14:09 AM »
I like the book very much.  My son got me to read it a few years ago, and I'm reading the new, expanded version on my Kindle right now.  I want to watch the show, but I don't have Starz.  Is it available elsewhere?
It's on HULU.

Right on, that's good news.   :laugh: 
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »
It's on HULU.

FYI, not everything on Hulu is included under a Hulu subscription; some shows require a service provider login (such as last year's American Crime Story) or additional subscriptions to other services. It's the latest reason why I don't use them.

Bummer, it's always something.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2017, 01:41:57 PM »
It's on HULU.

Bummer, it's always something.
Boss Lady says it was on DVR. Apologies. I blame some extremely nice Speyside.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2017, 01:45:04 PM »
I'm thinking I may cancel HULU and sign up for STARZ.  That's about an even trade, around 8-9 bucks a month.  I don't watch HULU much, anyway.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2017, 01:34:16 AM »
Love the book, I've read it a handful of times, and also listened to the audiobook (which is quite well done).

First episode was excellent. I love how much ground they covered; I'd so prefer to wish they spent more time in places than feel that they dwelled too long. Ian McShane is great and I could listen with great enthusiasm to him speak about literally anything; great acting ability paired with a unique voice is such a wonderful thing. I like the actor playing Shadow a lot, nice job there. Tech boy is weird and different from the book and fun, and I like that too. So far, I feel like the show is both true to the book, yet also taking liberties and making the most of the visual media.

I likey.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2017, 10:59:05 AM »
Love the book, I've read it a handful of times, and also listened to the audiobook (which is quite well done).

First episode was excellent. I love how much ground they covered; I'd so prefer to wish they spent more time in places than feel that they dwelled too long. Ian McShane is great and I could listen with great enthusiasm to him speak about literally anything; great acting ability paired with a unique voice is such a wonderful thing. I like the actor playing Shadow a lot, nice job there. Tech boy is weird and different from the book and fun, and I like that too. So far, I feel like the show is both true to the book, yet also taking liberties and making the most of the visual media.

I likey.
Is McShane still operating out of the Continental?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2017, 11:13:40 AM »
I am digging it so far, but not the stylized violence.  I wonder how it would land for someone who doesn't know what the end game is.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2017, 01:46:06 PM »
I am digging it so far, but not the stylized violence.  I wonder how it would land for someone who doesn't know what the end game is.
I haven't read the book. Boss Lady has. Tension...

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2017, 01:59:11 PM »

So - is it as confusing as fuck?  Or are you steeped enough in what you need to be steeped in to have figured out whats going on?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »

Haven't read anything about the books and have only sparingly been reading up on the real world mythology as the show goes on.  The style, the acting, and the presumed premise has me interested thus far, but it's also really, really weird and hard to feel too attached to, and I loved Hannibal. At this point, my opinion will rest mostly on how the show delivers on its setup. Poor delivery will make me find everything thus far annoying and frivolous.

Online Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2017, 03:03:13 PM »
IMO they are *nailing* the casting so far, I love that dude who plays Czernobog.

Haven't read anything about the books and have only sparingly been reading up on the real world mythology as the show goes on.  The style, the acting, and the presumed premise has me interested thus far, but it's also really, really weird and hard to feel too attached to, and I loved Hannibal. At this point, my opinion will rest mostly on how the show delivers on its setup. Poor delivery will make me find everything thus far annoying and frivolous.

I believe you're going to get a good payoff. It's fun to read the thoughts of somebody unfamiliar with the source, keep us posted!
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 03:34:49 PM »
You betcha! I will say this, I don't think I've ever watched a show I could think of fewer people to recommend it to. This is NOT a show for passive viewing, that's for sure.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2017, 04:41:36 PM »

So - is it as confusing as fuck?  Or are you steeped enough in what you need to be steeped in to have figured out whats going on?
I've only watched one epi so far, but I'm tweaking on various breadcrumbs. Boss Lady answers no question, bless her.

personate-rain