Author Topic: American Gods  (Read 5203 times)

Offline moj

• beer snob
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: American Gods
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 01:24:34 PM »
I read it awhile ago but was not as big a fan as most. My wife never read it, I forgot much of it but a lot is coming back as I see it. I have been explaining some things to her as we go, she will probably read it at some point, only on ep2.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2017, 04:34:39 PM »
I really liked the last episode, even if it did seem like it was pretty dismissive of atheists as a group since their treatment of them at least makes sense, in universe. Back to the episode though, Laura was a really compelling character and I loved how she just dealt so non-chalantly with her belief system being being completely overturned, not to mention her life. I'm really interested to see where it goes from here now that it's clear Shadow's perception of his relationship was completely wrong. Also, I'm glad they explained she was calling him "puppy," since I thought she'd been calling him "Papi," and she did NOT seem Hispanic at all. Really confused me.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 04:25:07 AM »
I really liked the last episode, even if it did seem like it was pretty dismissive of atheists as a group since their treatment of them at least makes sense, in universe. Back to the episode though, Laura was a really compelling character and I loved how she just dealt so non-chalantly with her belief system being being completely overturned, not to mention her life. I'm really interested to see where it goes from here now that it's clear Shadow's perception of his relationship was completely wrong. Also, I'm glad they explained she was calling him "puppy," since I thought she'd been calling him "Papi," and she did NOT seem Hispanic at all. Really confused me.

This was fantastic. Gaiman talked about having to remove elements he liked for the betterment of the book (per editors and such), and I feel like we just watched a huge chapter which he was forced to edit out. Laura was ancillary and mysterious in the book... none of the content of this was surprising, but experiencing her say the words and perform the actions that I only imagined or assumed while reading the book means so much now.

I liked the show a lot already, I'm starting to love it.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 03:42:03 AM »
I'm glad it's finally starting to come together a bit.  The vague mystery of it all was starting to get to me given the brevity of this first season.  I'm glad we finally have an antagonist (and god damn, Crispin Glover is freaking spectacular in this role so far) and a better idea of the board on which this game is being played.  I'm also glad some of the more confusing aspects of the show thus far have been cleared up a bit.  There's still a lot of confusing stuff, but what I like most about this show is that there is a LOT of depth to be found and discussed about when you dive into what you just watched.  Also, it be a crime if I overlooked just how amazing Gillian Anderson is in this show; she chews scenery like a boss and I am loving every second of it!

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 09:51:01 AM »

This was fantastic. Gaiman talked about having to remove elements he liked for the betterment of the book (per editors and such), and I feel like we just watched a huge chapter which he was forced to edit out. Laura was ancillary and mysterious in the book... none of the content of this was surprising, but experiencing her say the words and perform the actions that I only imagined or assumed while reading the book means so much now.

I read the 'unedited' version of the book and I realised it really was edited for a reason!

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 01:27:05 PM »
I'm appreciating the visual stuff you just can't do in a book. It's been a decade since I read it, so there are still some moments I don't remember.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 01:13:18 AM »

I read the 'unedited' version of the book and I realised it really was edited for a reason!

Yeah, Gaiman said he feels that way too--that he really liked the decisions made by the editor once he had a finished product.

You'll have to keep us updated if you notice elements in the show that appeared in the edited-out text, I think it's really interesting.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2017, 06:28:47 AM »

Yeah, Gaiman said he feels that way too--that he really liked the decisions made by the editor once he had a finished product.

You'll have to keep us updated if you notice elements in the show that appeared in the edited-out text, I think it's really interesting.
I'll do my best! Its 13 years since I read it but I seem to recall it mostly being in the last third? But you know, memory and all that!

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2017, 06:04:12 AM »
I really enjoyed the latest episode.
A difference from the book however-
(click to show/hide)

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2017, 06:18:45 AM »
I liked the episode well enough, but I wonder why they chose to do a mostly self-contained episode the week before the season finale.  I also wonder what, if any, the significance was of casting Browning as the Irish woman was to Laura's relationship with Mad Sweeney.  I guess perhaps it explains a little of why his conscience wins him over if she reminds him of one of the last people to really believe in him.

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2017, 06:36:46 PM »
To clarify for people asking where they can watch it, you can add Starz to your Amazon Prime account, if you have one.  It's $8 / month.  It's a double whammy for me, as I can also watch Evil Dead.

For others who have read the book, what do you guys think of the somewhat less stoic Shadow?  I recall in the book, he didn't opening question what was going on so much at this point, and just kind of rolled with it.  Without the internal dialog you can get in a novel, I can see how having him as more of an audience surrogate would be needed, but I feel like at this point, he should be with the program.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2017, 09:07:13 PM »
I do think the format requires a different approach.
He is almost too blasé in the book.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2017, 09:39:20 PM »
I still really like it but the two backstory episodes feel like filler.  Looks like this is how they'll pad the episode/season count.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2017, 10:10:28 AM »
Still a few behind but it's amazing how well they visualize so much of how it felt. So much of it I forgot about but a lot comes back as the scene is unfolding. Although much if it as it gets further on is not ringing a bell at all? I'm wondering how much of it they changed for TV or am I just drawing a blank cause I read it well over a decade ago? Don't want to get into spoilers yet but will soon once caught up.

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2017, 03:51:50 PM »
Now that the season is over, I am slightly confused. Maybe I am wired wrong, but I am a LOT more interested and invested in the Dead Wife-Sweeney duo (with little gay Jinn as a bonus) and their story than whatever the main plot is. For me, the best episode was definitely the penultimate one, where the main characters didn't even show up for any meaningful period of time.

Am I watching it all wrong?