Author Topic: American Gods  (Read 4820 times)

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
Re: American Gods
« Reply #45 on: July 08, 2017, 10:59:04 PM »
Now that the season is over, I am slightly confused. Maybe I am wired wrong, but I am a LOT more interested and invested in the Dead Wife-Sweeney duo (with little gay Jinn as a bonus) and their story than whatever the main plot is. For me, the best episode was definitely the penultimate one, where the main characters didn't even show up for any meaningful period of time.

Am I watching it all wrong?

I don't think so... it's just a bit different from the text, and I'm super ok with this because I love almost all of the decisions which have been made so far. I feel like I got to watch a "director's cut" with extra backstory that I've always wanted to see.

I'm now very keenly interested in how this show is received by those unfamiliar with the text.

I really enjoyed the latest episode.
A difference from the book however-
(click to show/hide)

Good to know, because I never would have had you not said so.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #46 on: July 08, 2017, 11:01:42 PM »
Also, separate post to say that I attended "An Evening With Neil Gaiman" at the opera house in Dallas last night, and it was fucking awesome. Gaiman is a hell of an orator and storyteller, and wonderfully genuine and personable in his talks, even to giant audiences.

His surprise to the live audience was reading a few pages of "edited out" scenes from the upcoming Good Omens series which is produced by the BBC and will appear on Amazon Prime. I couldn't be more excited!
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2019, 08:21:50 PM »
Anyone else watching this? I liked the War Of The Worlds reference this week.

And I have to say, this is one of the most visually stunning TV series I've seen. It's a real delight watching it on my new projector.
Mooohn!

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2019, 08:31:12 PM »
I loved the first season.  Ditched Starz when they cancelled counterpart, as that was great TV, and I am not paying ~$200 for 1 show every other year.  But I will catch it eventually.  Maybe this summer if Amazon offers a free month.

How is it without GA as Media.  She kicked so much ass in that role it was amazing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:34:01 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2019, 08:39:50 PM »
TBH I should probably have re-watched S1 because it took me an episode or two to remember what happened the first season. As for Media:
(click to show/hide)

I still very much like the show. Very surreal and almost abstract at times.
Mooohn!

Offline moj

• beer snob
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2019, 11:10:13 AM »
We watched a bunch of season 2 this weekend. We are not totally caught up but 2 away. I think I'm enjoying more now that I'm like "OK, this is a separate thing from the book". Not perfect but enjoying the ride.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2019, 06:29:16 PM »
I liked season 2 a lot more than season 1.

personate-rain