Author Topic: Lesbian couple forced to flee family, end up in Turkish jail  (Read 337 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
No, not the United States at least. .  . . .At least it has a reasonably happy ending
Edit: I am thinking that this would make a good movie actually.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39791610

Less than a month ago, Spaniard Jimena Rico, and Egyptian-born Shaza Ismail were just like any other young, gay couple in London, the city where their romance blossomed.

But after a call from Ms Ismail's father, the two set out on on a trip which they say involved death threats, escape across international borders, and a spell in a Turkish jail where, Ms Ismail says, the treatment was "unexpected, inhumane and horrible".
'Tricked'

Safe in Ms Rico's Spanish hometown of Torrox, the couple faced the cameras to reveal a nightmarish three-week ordeal which, according to Ms Rico, began after her partner's family in Dubai had tried to separate them by force.

"I really want to tell our story because I think it could help many people who live in a situation of repression for being homosexual," Ms Rico told reporters who had gathered in the room to hear their story.

It had all started innocently enough. According to the 28-year-old, the couple flew from London to Dubai on 14 April because Ms Ismail's father had said that her mother was ill in hospital.

"But it was a trick," said Jimena Rico. "He threatened to kill us and said we could go to jail for being lesbians.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 05:22:17 AM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline albator

• Off to a Start

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
Re: Lesbian couple forced to flee family, end up in Turkish jail
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 10:04:25 AM »
Man.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 10:27:46 AM »
That sucks but I'm not surprised, gay folks should not go to Dubai, or women, or drunks, or well anyone really. 

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 01:56:53 PM »
That sucks but I'm not surprised, gay folks should not go to Dubai, or women, or drunks, or well anyone really.

When you think there is a family emergency . . . .Hard to make a good judgement call in that situation.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 02:02:36 PM »

When you think there is a family emergency . . . .Hard to make a good judgement call in that situation.
Fair point, I suppose what surprises me is that she didn't know her father was that kind of asshole. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 09:16:22 PM »
I'm a white, straight, cis, teetotal man and I have absolutely no desire to visit Dubai.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 01:41:07 AM »
I'm a white, straight, cis, teetotal man and I have absolutely no desire to visit Dubai.

Well, your religious views are likely a problem there.  Hey, I have to be blunt, I don't have any interest in Dubai however I would like to visit Egypt and see some of the lesser visited ancient Egyptian sites but not with as fucked up as it is. 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 09:33:29 AM »
I know lots of folks who see the shiny new buildlngs and think "Cool" and Dubai has put a lot of effort in seeming like the "liberal" Gulf state but its just PR, they've just shined a turd.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 09:17:51 PM »

Well, your religious views are likely a problem there.  Hey, I have to be blunt, I don't have any interest in Dubai however I would like to visit Egypt and see some of the lesser visited ancient Egyptian sites but not with as fucked up as it is.

Yeah, I'd love to see Egypt and Syria and all those ancient sites. But I probably won't ever get to.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 08:18:33 AM »

Yeah, I'd love to see Egypt and Syria and all those ancient sites. But I probably won't ever get to.

I regret not having scheduled extra time to visit Egypt with my traveling companions following my trip to Greece in 2001.  I doubt now that I shall ever have the chance.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell