Author Topic: 2017 US Solar Eclipse  (Read 4075 times)

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
2017 US Solar Eclipse
« on: May 05, 2017, 05:48:41 PM »
So who's going to watch? Where are you going?

I'm considering taking a 5 hour drive to southern Illinois, and watching in Giant City State Park. There's a lodge and cabins down there but I'm pretty sure the'll be booked by now. So I'm probably going to have to make it a day trip. which shouldn't be too bad.

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: 2017 US Solar Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 06:50:44 PM »
I really want to go, but it's a much farther drive for me and I don't think I could drag my wife and kids along.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 08:05:40 PM »
I'm planning on coming over, thinking somewhere Nebraska way...  ;D

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 08:48:01 PM »
We'll be around Crab Orchard Lake, far from the madding crowd.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 11:32:44 PM »
Damn, just looked at a map. . . .Too far away to be practical to see
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2017, 04:16:38 AM »

Now you know what living in Australia is like.

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2017, 07:58:31 AM »

I'm thinking of travelling ~4,500 miles (as the crow flies), so, how far is too far??  ;)

admittedly, it is going to be my main holiday of the year...

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2017, 12:26:23 PM »

I'm thinking of travelling ~4,500 miles (as the crow flies), so, how far is too far??  ;)

admittedly, it is going to be my main holiday of the year...
Be sure to visit the floating catfish restaurant on the Ohio River.

And the St. Louis Zoo. Given that the hotels are already booked up in Carbondale you might want to stay the night in St. Louis.

It's easy to find, just look for the arch:

"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 01:38:29 PM »
You can try staying in Mt Vernon or Mattoon. This will get you about 2-3 hours away from C'dale. I'm going to play it by ear. If it looks to be overcast in C`dale I will look farther west. Otherwise if the weather is going to be clear then I will make the drive from Chicago to southern Illinois. It's a 120 eclipse time so I'm going to leave very early in the morning and then drive back the same day. I'm hoping the traffic isn't to bad.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 03:09:13 PM »
I haven't thought of a contingency plan if the weather is bad. but if you're driving from Chicago I feel like I shouldn't have an excuse not to do my drive.

We need to have a meet-up, Noisy do you really think that Crab Orchard Lake won't have the crowds? do they have like a picnic area or something?  I just picked Giant city because I've been there in the past, my brother went to SIU.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 09:58:09 PM »
I haven't thought of a contingency plan if the weather is bad. but if you're driving from Chicago I feel like I shouldn't have an excuse not to do my drive.

We need to have a meet-up, Noisy do you really think that Crab Orchard Lake won't have the crowds? do they have like a picnic area or something?  I just picked Giant city because I've been there in the past, my brother went to SIU.
I'm going to day-trip down there to see what's what with the locales. I'll report back. The thing about the Lake is there's no central focus spot, so you can spread out, at least as Google Earth shows it. Mark One eyeball will be applied.

Offline st3class

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 11:51:28 PM »
It goes right over my parents' house in Dallas, OR, so I'll be making the hour-long drive there to see it.
It's always more complicated than that.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
Derp.

Offline BaryonicMan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 05:19:48 AM »
I'm going on a road trip with my (72 year old) father. We're going to see the eclipse from Wyoming. It was already hard to find a hotel in the path of totality there, but we found a good motel an hour's drive from Riverton. It's the third time I travel to see an eclipse and hopefully the first time there are no clouds in front of it. Previous attempts: Cornwall in 1999 (rain) and Kruger Park in South Africa in 2002 (clouds). I went through Weather Underground several times this time to make sure I'm at a spot where on August 21st cloud cover is unlikely. Wish me luck   8) (smiley with eclipse glasses).

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 11:59:09 AM »
If it looks to be overcast in C`dale I will look farther west.

Looking at it again, yeah, going south-west into MO actually cuts about 45 min of drive time. Looking for places around Jefferson City.

personate-rain