Author Topic: 2017 US Solar Eclipse  (Read 1322 times)

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: 2017 US Solar Eclipse
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2017, 10:58:50 PM »
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Nemmzy

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2017, 10:42:50 AM »
We rented a vacation home in Kentucky. Kids first trip on a plane :/

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2017, 11:28:38 AM »
The epic keeps building. Try to get them to St. Louis for the Zoo and the Gateway Arch. (Meramec Caverns optional.)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline c60Unit

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 03:11:17 AM »
NASA main site: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/
Interactive map: https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/interactive_map/index.html
Historical cloud cover: http://www.eclipse2017.org/2017/weather/2017_clouds.htm

I will not know where I'll be going until the weekend before, as weather forecasts come into focus with respect to clouds.  With luck, I'll simply be able to make a day trip down I-75 into the area midway between Knoxville & Chattanooga, TN.  If the weather is not expected to be good there, I guess I'll try to catch it over towards Nashville or on into Missouri.  I figure hotels will be impossible, so I'm prepared to just sleep in the van.  I've had a vacation request in for two years on this one.  I want to see the stars come out in the daytime and be able to look across the solar system!  Jupiter, Mercury, Venus & Mars will be visible.

http://heavens-above.com/SolarEclipseAnimation.aspx?jdmax=2457987.2685213 nicely shows the Moon's shadow moving across the Earth.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 03:14:57 AM by c60Unit »

Offline Ambious

• Frequent Poster
  • Up the Irons!
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 04:36:18 PM »
I'm gonna be flying to St. Louis (all the way from Israel) to watch it with the good people from the Weekly Space Hangout.
Gonna be a fun weekend, after which I'll be flying to New York for a week with my niece.
"Teach thy tongue to say “I do not know”, and thous shalt progress."
–Maimonides

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2017, 07:56:51 PM »
I'm gonna be flying to St. Louis (all the way from Israel) to watch it with the good people from the Weekly Space Hangout.
Gonna be a fun weekend, after which I'll be flying to New York for a week with my niece.
I met a sabra yesterday here in St. Louis.

Offline Fast Eddie B

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2017, 09:25:44 PM »
We have property on an airstrip in Lenoir City, TN - x marks the spot:

Have room for camping or even a couple RV's if that would make a good base of operations.
"And what it all boils down to is that no one's really got it figured out just yet" - Alanis Morisette
• • •
"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Offline c60Unit

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2017, 03:18:32 PM »
So has anyone gone to a total solar eclipse in the US or other developed country before?  Looks like the last US good shot was up the east coast in 1970.
* How many people try to go?  (How much of the US will try to take the day off?  August 21 is a Monday.)
* Does it get crowded around the centerline?  I'd hate to get stuck in traffic more than a few miles from the centerline?
* It's tempting to try to get out between towns, just find a small parking lot somewhere or nice place along the side of the road.
* How far ahead of time should I try to get into the region?

I'm not going to try to take much equipment.  Might tripod mount some cameras, but otherwise will concentrate on experiencing the event with my eyes and not worry much about recordings.   I still have my Transit of Venus glasses.   8)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:54:47 PM by c60Unit »

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »
There will be a lot of people at the points identified as 'peak' this or that.  I expect to see a LOT in Kentucky and other places.  Watch the weather closely. 

I'm lucky enough that I can pretty much travel anywhere in the US quickly and cheaply, so my plan is to go wherever I expect the viewing conditions are the best.
#notarealskeptic

Offline John Albert

• Off to a Start
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2017, 02:41:37 AM »
The epic keeps building. Try to get them to St. Louis for the Zoo and the Gateway Arch. (Meramec Caverns optional.)
If you do go to St. Louis, be sure to visit the City Museum!

http://www.citymuseum.org/

Offline John Albert

• Off to a Start
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2017, 02:42:26 AM »
Any of you guys want to organize a meetup somewhere?

Offline Nemmzy

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2017, 07:50:19 AM »

This is the sort of place that would make my husband just as giddy as the kids.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2017, 09:38:28 AM »

Second that.

And for epic, hit the Flying Saucer bar down by the Stadium.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2017, 09:40:16 AM »
Did I mention the Endangered Wolf Center? If I did I'll mention it again.

Offline c60Unit

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2017, 12:33:10 PM »
My biggest fear, congestion, is discussed in this article which I haven't fully read yet, but wanted to post before I forget:
http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/traffic-congestion-predictions-maps-eclipse-august-21-2017

personate-rain