Author Topic: Breaking2: Scientifically-optimized Attempt to Break 2-hr Marathon Falls Short  (Read 127 times)

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
I hadn't heard about this project, but apparently Nike just held an attempt to break the 2-hour marathon mark.  The attempt was run on a level, oval track; the runners were specifically chosen based on physiological tests, they wore specially-designed Nike marathon shoes, etc.  They also were not racing against a mob of other competitors; indeed, they were paced by rotating teams of fresh runners.  At 2:00:24, the best finisher Eliud Kipchoge fell less than a second short of a 2-hr pace and beat the world record by 2:34.

All of this, of course, leads to the question: should this result count toward the marathon world record?

CNN Article on the Attempt

Information from Nike on the Attempt
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
as they don't count the Paula Radcliffe 2hr 15min as the women's WR as she used male pacemakers (it's given a separate category) I can't see them acknowledging the Breaking2 record as an "official" WR*. I know Adidas are also planning an attempt at the sub-2hr record, but they're planning on doing it at an official race to claim the WR. If I recall, it's not just a case of running the distance in the time (that could be done in practice after all), but doing it at a race that has the correct credentials.

In archery, a world record can only be claimed at a shoot that has been awards 'World Record Status', because this means that certain conditions have been obtained and checked  before the shooting starts.

* though Guinness World Record will probably accept it for their purposes as the fastest time over a marathon distance.

Offline Alex Simmons

• Seasoned Contributor
I did this chart to show the impact of the technology and strategies used in this attempt relative to the IAAF world record trend line:

personate-rain
personate-rain