Author Topic: Recollection errors  (Read 97 times)

Offline DamoET

• Off to a Start
Recollection errors
« on: May 06, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »
  I know this has been spoken about multiple times in the past by Steve and the rouges, but I can't remember whether it has been discussed in this context.  I am well aware that when accessing memories, they become altered, changed, amalgamated, exagerated ect ect, but what happens when we remember something for what seems like the first time in decades.  If for example I remember seemingly for the first time, a memory from primary school (some 30 years ago), would that definitavely be more 'true' a memory than a memory I have had from that same time but had recalled multiple times in my past?  And how would we know?

After learning about 'our' fallible memories , I decided to do a little experiment of my own, and deliberately recalled memories from my families past which I had a destinct memory of happening a particular way.  When asking my siblings of their memories of the events in question, the details were similar, but location was slightly different (for one), and year was different (for another).  So the question would be, if I had primed my siblings to recall a specific memory from our past which I had reflected on multiple times before hand, would their take on their memory statistically be more accurate than mine if they had not though about the event and had not been given cues to the detail?

Damo
Do not fear God, fear ignorance.  For ignorance will lead you to fearing 'God' (and a whole bunch of other whacky shit!)