Author Topic: Second world war wrecks illegally scavenged for scrap  (Read 570 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Second world war wrecks illegally scavenged for scrap
« on: May 08, 2017, 05:10:43 AM »
This was a pretty weird one and at first a bit skeptical it could happen

https://www.outsideonline.com/2168646/how-does-entire-shipwreck-disappear-bolts-and-all

Decided to go look for other sources though and found one from the Guardian which I believe is suppose to be pretty reliable
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/16/british-second-world-war-ships-illegal-scavenging-java-sea

The operation to completely haul away 6,000 to 8,000 ton cruisers is pretty impressive.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Second world war wrecks illegally scavenged for scrap
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 05:24:11 AM »
This is a topic that gets even more fascinating the deeper you dig.

One of the main reasons why people are doing it is the value of so-called low-background steel, which I have never even heard about before the stolen wrecks hit the news.

Basically, all the nuclear tests since the end of WWII have contaminated all steel that was produced and is being produced since, making it unusable for producing stuff that are sensitive to radionuclides.

The best source of such steel: WWII shipwrecks. You can get a LOT of money for a cruisers' worth of low-background steel, which makes mounting an illegal salvage operation very lucrative.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 09:41:53 AM »
Curious

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 10:13:45 AM »
I think they've found a way to float the wrecks without too much work.

Maybe ping pong balls?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 10:40:21 AM »

Maybe ping pong balls?
I believe with new wrecks they can inflate balloons inside the hull, I'd think that would be problematic with a ship exposed to salt water for 70+ years.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »

Maybe ping pong balls?
I believe with new wrecks they can inflate balloons inside the hull, I'd think that would be problematic with a ship exposed to salt water for 70+ years.
True, but the ones that don't are worth it, apparently.

Flipside: If we find wrecks dislocated and with the main decks blown out we might be more inclined to believe this is what's causing the movement/damage. Until we do, however, it's just a SWAG.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »

One of the main reasons why people are doing it is the value of so-called low-background steel, which I have never even heard about before the stolen wrecks hit the news.

Basically, all the nuclear tests since the end of WWII have contaminated all steel that was produced and is being produced since, making it unusable for producing stuff that are sensitive to radionuclides.

The best source of such steel: WWII shipwrecks. You can get a LOT of money for a cruisers' worth of low-background steel, which makes mounting an illegal salvage operation very lucrative.

That's really interesting, but I'm not sure I understand why processing scrap wouldn't introduce as much radioactive contamination as the initial processing of ore.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 12:24:42 PM »

That's really interesting, but I'm not sure I understand why processing scrap wouldn't introduce as much radioactive contamination as the initial processing of ore.
The ore is open to the air for longer periods of time than during processing.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 02:16:26 PM »

My understanding is that the primary source of radioisotope contamination in modern steel is the use of atmosphere-derived oxygen with traces of cobalt-60 to feed the blast furnace itself.  That process should be very similar for recycled iron, shouldn't it?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 03:08:25 PM »

My understanding is that the primary source of radioisotope contamination in modern steel is the use of atmosphere-derived oxygen with traces of cobalt-60 to feed the blast furnace itself.  That process should be very similar for recycled iron, shouldn't it?
Refining the ore is significantly more energy intensive. So recycled iron doesn't have to be heated so much. After that you're going to have to ask my Ozzie friend, he's a geologist in Western Australia.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 03:29:43 PM »
I have read that they have new processes that minimize the amount of radiation even in newly smelted iron / steel.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Shibboleth

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2017, 11:36:14 AM »

I don't understand. You would think that ore miles underground is just as protected from radiation from nuclear weapons as WWII ships.

edit:: sorry I should have read further.
common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 01:04:31 PM »
I have read that they have new processes that minimize the amount of radiation even in newly smelted iron / steel.
That would hopefully reduce the desecration of war graves.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 02:29:02 PM »

The German WW1 Scapa Flow warship are not war graves. They were sunk as a protest with the crew abandoning the ships.
There is the weird kind of corruption in East Asia which makes me think that just because there is a process to make low radiation steel, they would still be salvaging these ships. What hit me was just how difficult it is to salvage these ships and that nobody noticed it at the time.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2017, 12:05:50 PM »

The German WW1 Scapa Flow warship are not war graves. They were sunk as a protest with the crew abandoning the ships.
There is the weird kind of corruption in East Asia which makes me think that just because there is a process to make low radiation steel, they would still be salvaging these ships. What hit me was just how difficult it is to salvage these ships and that nobody noticed it at the time.
I never said anything about Scapa Flow. Obviously if there's are no dead on the ships it's not a war grave site.

personate-rain
personate-rain