Author Topic: Deer caught munching on human carcass  (Read 453 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Deer caught munching on human carcass
« on: May 08, 2017, 05:17:44 AM »
Don't know if this is best in science section but went ahead and posted it here

http://www.popsci.com/deer-eating-human-remains?src=SOC&dom=tw

Forensic scientists have to do a lot of weird things in order to solve crimes and identify bodies. Sometimes that involves leaving corpses outside to rot, to better understand what happens during and after decomposition. In fact, there are entire facilities devoted to studying the decay of donated human remains, like the 26-acre Forensic Anthropology Research Facility (FARF) in San Marcos, Texas.

In July 2014, researchers left a body in a wooded part of FARF. They wanted to learn about how different scavengers leave their marks on human remains, so they set up a motion-sensitive camera to see who would stop by. In this part of Texas, it’s not unusual to see foxes, turkey vultures, raccoons, coyotes, and other carrion-gobblers picking at a corpse. But after a few months, someone new came to the table.

On January 5, 2015, the camera caught a glimpse of a young white-tailed deer standing near the skeleton with a human rib bone in its mouth. Then it happened again on January 13—the camera caught a deer with another rib sticking out of its mouth like a cigar. It’s not clear whether it was the same deer in both cases, but it's certainly possible first one came back for seconds.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
Re: Deer caught munching on human carcass
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 06:40:18 AM »
Not all that surprising.

There aren't any 'obligate herbivores' out there and most animals that are traditionally seen as herbivores often consume animals, or bits of animals.

This is especially true for deer, who need a LOT of calcium to re-grow their antlers every year, so they will munch on anything that has bones.

The always reliable Tetrapod Zoology blog has a good article about the matter.

I do love this video:

HE ATE A BURRD!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:20:31 AM »
I had the ... privilege ... of helping Purdue set up their "corpse garden". It was educational.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 09:40:39 AM »
There is something much more disturbing about a deer eating a human than say a bear. 

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 10:33:01 AM »
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:40:13 AM »
We have these little rodents here, we call them Ground Squirrels, and they are quite happy to chow down on their brethren (or sistren) after they've been hit by a car, so, I'm not surprised.  It's a ready, concentrated source of high quality nutrition.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 03:12:48 PM »
I think a lot of people underestimate the degree of omnivorous behavior in what we usually think of as herbivores. 
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »
There is a scene in the horror movie Jennifer's Body where a deer is licking a human corpse. People think it is goof but actually legitimate. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 03:39:58 PM »
OK omnivores - would you eat venison from a deer that had eaten a human?
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 03:44:53 PM »
I'd skip the middle man.  >:D

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »
I don't think the humanity of the meat survives the digestion process. At some point, it's just proteins, and they are even broken down further than that. I would still eat that deer.

In fact, I would eat it harder, in retaliation. I AM TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN, ASSHOLE!
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
Maybe have to be careful of prion diseases?
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2017, 06:39:30 PM »
Yeah, the only concern I'd have would be prion diseases, but my understanding is that as long as you avoid nervous tissue you're thought to be relatively safe.

I don't think the humanity of the meat survives the digestion process.

I don't think the humanity of the meat survives the dying process.

Online superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2017, 07:07:05 PM »
this is a step up from killing us with germ warfare.  Just heard about this today...https://www.cdc.gov/powassan/