Author Topic: Your super villain rant  (Read 369 times)

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Your super villain rant
« on: May 09, 2017, 05:50:23 PM »
Inspired by this post:

Sure. At times I try to avoid using the "to be" verbs for the same reason. I rarely use the words  you mention myself except when playing games such as D&D. I still do not think that we need to anathematize the words or enforce writing entirely in E-prime.

Even when I run a fantasy game, my "Bad Guys" are rarely evil for evil's sake.

Imagine that you're a villain.  Give us some background maybe, a hypothetical situation, and then write up your "I'm not evil, good is stupid!" super villain rant.  This could be fun  >:D
(click to show/hide)

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
  • My name is not dave.
Re: Your super villain rant
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 05:52:28 PM »
bookmarked for later.
In highschool I wrote a play where the main character was a super villain trying to complete his death ray with bodega supplies.

Online arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 09:54:59 PM »
D&D Nerd Alert

I'm currently playing a character who is a Lawful Evil Tiefling War Cleric of Asmodeus.

Allow me to break those words down for those unfamiliar with D&D. "Lawful" means that I believe society benefits from top-down authority and order. It means that I believe in hierarchy and structure. Evil means that my goals do not take into account the welfare of those who are disadvantaged by those goals. If my goals mean that people are killed, then that is entirely appropriate. A Lawful Evil society is a tyranny, where the powerful tread the less powerful underfoot in order to advance in the hierarchy.

Tieflings are humanlike, but have literal devil blood somewhere in their ancestry. Devils are real and are the inhabitants of Hell, which is also real. I am descended from a devil. A Cleric is a powerful follower of a deity. My particular domain is War, which means that I strongly believe that battle and victory are the most appropriate means of exerting my will and therefore the will of my god. My god is Asmodeus, who is literally Satan. Asmodeus is the ruler of Hell.

Now. This character's goals are to advance Asmodeus' will in the world, aka the Prime Material Plane. Asmodeus desires power above all else, so that is my character's religious motivation. I am a follower of an evil god. As an evil god, Asmodeus demands that I perform acts that are evil, up to and including ritual sacrifice of sentient beings. I don't do these acts because they are evil, I do them because my god demands them. He gains power via these acts, and he grants me power in return, which I use to perform his will.

My goal in the current game is to start by gaining power over the village I have found myself in - probably by killing the current mayor and terrorising the villagers - and use that as a base of operations to raise an army with which I will take over other towns, cities and empires. By this method my god's hold over the world will be solidified and he will be grateful to me.

In actual fact I expect to be killed very quickly. And if it's my own party that does it, I won't even be mad. I've already made backup characters.

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2017, 10:14:56 PM »
I've always preferred villains who do evil because they think it's good. Current campaign features an anarchist cult that wants to unmake reality in order to reforge it into a new Utopia. Previous villains have done stuff like rationalize a militaristic dictatorship in the name of safety or declare that drastic measures were needed to address a perceived problem.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2017, 11:20:57 PM »
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 07:59:08 AM »
I have come to restore your personal liberty! I will make us strong! I will make America great again!
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 09:49:03 AM »
I have come to restore your personal liberty! I will make us strong! I will make America great again!

It's not the same without the hand gestures.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 10:55:57 AM »

I couldn't find a Donald Duck having a fit smiley.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 11:08:08 AM »

I couldn't find a Donald Duck having a fit smiley.

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 12:36:23 PM »

That's the best "Manos, Hands of Fate" remake pitch ever.

HIISSSSSSSS

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 03:40:13 PM »
"Manos, Hands of Fate" remake

Sacrilege! }|:oO
Mooohn!

personate-rain