Author Topic: webmd and liver detox  (Read 509 times)

Offline csdave

• Off to a Start
webmd and liver detox
« on: May 10, 2017, 05:20:36 PM »
Hi all,
I've always been convinced that all the liver detox and cleansing stuff is basically bullshit, but today I wanted to confirm my belief and I ended up on this page from WebMD:

http://www.webmd.com/men/features/liver-detoxification----fact-fad

where I read the following:

Toxins lurk in prescription medications, food additives, and air pollutants, and these may be impossible to avoid completely.

Here's where "liver detoxification" might come in. When the liver is working double-duty to protect you from an onslaught of bad diet, bad judgment, and unavoidable insults, it could benefit from a little extra help.

Antioxidant vitamins such as C, E, and beta-carotene; minerals such as zinc and selenium; B-vitamins that aid alcohol metabolism; and herbs said to "cleanse" the liver such as milk thistle, dandelion root, and schizandra, might help protect liver cells while ridding our body of poisons.

"There is a lot of experimental work in the laboratory and in animals suggesting the beneficial effect of milk thistle extract," Raman Venkataramanan, PhD, FCP, tells WebMD. He is a professor of pharmaceutical sciences and pathology at the University of Pittsburgh.

What do fellow skeptics think?
Is WebMD a reputable source in this respect?

Offline superdave

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: webmd and liver detox
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 08:35:25 PM »
It sounds like WebMD is trying to have its cake and eat it too by using the phrase liver detox both in the bullshit pop science sense but also in the more scientific sense concerning the role of liver.  It is plausible that some foods or herbs could aid in reducing the toxic load to the liver, which could be useful for people with liver issues.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline csdave

• Off to a Start
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 04:43:50 AM »
I should have done this before posting. But I search for "homeopathy" on WebMD: it states
Research is mixed. Some studies show that homeopathic remedies are helpful, while others don’t.
I probably shouldn't even have bothered reading the text on WebMD.

Apart from this and back to the original topic, I agree, some herbs might be useful for the liver, but is there really any convincing evidence they are?

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 07:13:36 AM »
I had become dubious of webmd due to a couple of things I looked at on it in the last year and my impression was that their standards arent that high, but I didnt realise they were 'mixed' on homeopathy.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 08:26:08 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of WebMD.  I find the Mayo Clinic website a consistently quality resource for most things medical.

Compare their take on liver detox: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/detox-diets/faq-20058040

I will say, though, that this appears to be an archived 15 year old article rather than information they endorse.  WebMD's current info on detox is here: http://www.webmd.com/diet/a-z/detox-diets
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:32:30 AM by The Latinist »
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell