Author Topic: Minnesota Anti-vaxx activists spark worst measles outbreak in decades  (Read 342 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Isn't this wonderful?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/measles-outbreak-sickens-dozens-of-minnesota-somalis/2017/05/03/6b3be752-3029-11e7-a335-fa0ae1940305_story.html?tid=a_inl&utm_term=.39159a0f0092

MINNEAPOLIS — An outbreak of measles in Minnesota has sickened more than 30 children in recent weeks, primarily in the state’s large Somali-American community, where many parents avoid the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine because of unfounded fears that it causes autism.

Somalis are just the latest example of a tight-knit community in which the highly contagious disease has gained a foothold in the U.S. in recent years.

Medical professionals and state health officials are working to contain the virus, but they expect more measles cases in coming weeks. A look at the situation:

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Nemmzy

• Keeps Priorities Straight
 :rant: for fucks sake

Offline richm78

• Off to a Start
Is there any study that actually shows that un-vaccinated people have a lower rate of autism?  From vaxxers or non-vaxxers?  Wouldn't that be an easy study to test out or am I missing something that throws a wrench in testing that out?  Why couldn't that study be done and just slammed in the face of anti-vax to totally end this conversation?

BTW, I'm for vaccinations.  Less disease spreading is good, m'kay.

Online SkeptiQueer

• Stopped Going Outside
  • DEEZ NUTZ
  Why couldn't that study be done and just slammed in the face of anti-vax to totally end this conversation?

Because anti-vax is predicated on the conspiracy that all of medicine wants to poison your child. No study contradicting that will work. Wakefield's research was discredited, anti-vax propaganda is routinely discredited, but it persists because the movement is not predicated on seeking truth, but promoting the agenda.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline richm78

• Off to a Start
  Why couldn't that study be done and just slammed in the face of anti-vax to totally end this conversation?

Because anti-vax is predicated on the conspiracy that all of medicine wants to poison your child. No study contradicting that will work. Wakefield's research was discredited, anti-vax propaganda is routinely discredited, but it persists because the movement is not predicated on seeking truth, but promoting the agenda.

But, are there studies that show that the rate of autism is the same in both vaccinated and unvaccinated people?  Google doesn't show me any results that answer that question.  All I get are results from anti-vaxxers claiming there are almost no unvaccinated people with autism.  Can someone point me at the studies?  What is the website that has consolidated skeptical info and studies to contradict pseudoscience?  I've heard Steve talk about it on the pod.

What website do you guys go to for looking at actual studies with raw data?  I always end up at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov, but have not been able to click through to any actual data.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 04:13:05 PM by richm78 »

Offline albator

• Off to a Start
If Steve was referencing a post he wrote it was probably on one of those site, https://sciencebasedmedicine.org or http://theness.com/neurologicablog/.
I don't much about the subject, but I would imagine it's very hard to have reliable medical data from a group who lost faith in the medical profession.
Also, the way the group is self selected, the rate of autism should be higher in anti-vaxx group (if the vaccine have no impact).

From what I read, the counter argument was more showing that the increase in vaccination didn't cause more autism, and that the component of vaccine highlight by anti-vax were indeed safe.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 05:11:58 PM by albator »

personate-rain