Author Topic: The Coffee Thread  (Read 1927 times)

Offline teethering

• 37% better than Slick
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The Coffee Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2017, 04:49:21 PM »
I can't drink dark roasts at all.  So much gets hidden by the burnt taste, it's all I can taste in every single dark roast I've ever tried.

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2017, 05:08:40 PM »
I have an ultra-unrefined palate, for which I am thankful.  I can drink any swill and don't mind the taste.

I do enjoy the occasional excellent cup of coffee, but generally, I drink it solely for the utility, and to feed my addiction.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2017, 05:52:49 PM »
At home, I use a french press and the strongest bean I can find. Currently, this: https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/coffee/kick-ass-whole-bean

But usually it'll be from the free espresso machine at work, which is barely drinkable. But free.
I got a travel french press mug for work because I just cant stand the machine stuff and I just like to have something to sip on.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2017, 06:02:15 PM »
I have a drip maker at home.  I buy decent quality coffee, usually based on a price/taste trade off.  On the whole, I'm pretty utilitarian. At work, I use a coffee grinder and we have a little more consistent bean quality than at home.  I'm not too fussy, tough, as long as it's fresh.  I hate stale coffee.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Nemmzy

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2017, 09:32:44 PM »
At home, I use a french press and the strongest bean I can find. Currently, this: https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/en/coffee/kick-ass-whole-bean

But usually it'll be from the free espresso machine at work, which is barely drinkable. But free.
I got a travel french press mug for work because I just cant stand the machine stuff and I just like to have something to sip on.

I did not know this was a thing. -Heads off to Amazon.........

Offline seamas

• Well Established
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2017, 10:44:59 AM »
I have a drip coffee make which I use most of the time. I occasionally do pour over.

I have a travel french press for camping.

I get my beans ground where I buy them, I can't pull the trigger on buying a burr grinder.

I always went for the deepest roasts for my French press - I just figured lighter roasts were for people who don't like "real" coffee.

Brother gave me some Ethiopian medium roast for my birthday, and I really love it.  So many other flavors in there that don't get covered up by the burned taste.

Yeah, for a long time I kept guying dark roasts and wondering why I wasn't all that satisfied by the results.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2017, 05:41:20 PM »
I just got an Aeropress.  I love it.

Jed's (NZ) makes a passable coffee bag.  Good on a hike.
"The home of the brave and the land of the free; the less you know, the better off you'll be"

Warren Zevon

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
I used to prefer those octagonal Italian stove-top espresso machines. The water goes in the bottom, the ground coffee in the middle (freshly ground, very dark roast, from a burr grinder), the thing goes on the stove, and the brewed coffee spills up into the top section.

But I had to give up all caffeine due to my heart arrythmia, even the small amount in brewed decaf. So now I drink instant Folgers decaf. Instant decaf (except Starbucks!!!) has so little caffeine even I don't notice it.

A dessert drink I enjoy: Fat-free, lactose-free milk, diluted with about 1 part in ten water, heated in the microwave, then add two packets of Sucralose, a heaping tablespoon of Folgers instant decaf, and a big squirt of sugar-free Hershey's syrup. Stir well. Non-fat decaf mocha latte.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Crash

• Dogspeed John Glenn.
    • What I do for fun
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 07:43:44 PM »
  I used to buy coffee at the original Peet's on Hearst St in Berkeley since circa 1969.  I used to like dark roasts but I prefer the beans to roast until just before the oil forms on the surface now.  I buy almost forty pounds at a time of green beans from Costco online.  It's about four dollars a pound exactly.  Many of my friends are also hard core coffee achievers.  My home roasted coffee is the shit.  When I built my new house I installed a range hood that blows about 1200 cfs.  There is a ten inch diameter exhaust pipe vent through the roof. The smell of coffee roasting can be smelled all over my neighborhood.  I like my drip coffee black.  Fresh drip is hard to beat.  Most mornings I go for Espresso. 

[/URL]
[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]

Offline HighPockets

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 07:57:48 AM »
Ok, can someone explain to me how to use a french press and make clean up less of a pain. I have a real hard time reconciling the quality of the coffee and the pain in the a$$ it is to clean it out afterwards. I'd use it all the time if I didn't have grounds all over the kitchen counter, sink, garbage can...(I exaggerate here, but at least with Mr. Coffee I can just dump the filter in the bin and be done with it)

I did use the press to make a cold brew over the weekend that was just the right sweet, bitter, rich and stout that I would do more often if I could just find a convenient way to clean up after.
"Be mindful of the work you leave for others." -JJH

Offline Nemmzy

« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2017, 09:32:02 AM »
Ok, can someone explain to me how to use a french press and make clean up less of a pain. I have a real hard time reconciling the quality of the coffee and the pain in the a$$ it is to clean it out afterwards. I'd use it all the time if I didn't have grounds all over the kitchen counter, sink, garbage can...(I exaggerate here, but at least with Mr. Coffee I can just dump the filter in the bin and be done with it)

I did use the press to make a cold brew over the weekend that was just the right sweet, bitter, rich and stout that I would do more often if I could just find a convenient way to clean up after.

Rubber spatula.

Online RGU

• Off to a Start
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »

What I do - I dump all the grounds down the garbage disposal and rinse it out a few times. I also rinse the grounds off the plunger into the disposal. Once the grounds are rinsed out (take 20-30secs) I go drink my coffee and then just was the press as normal later on. getting the grounds out right away make it easy, especially if you are using coarse grounds which make it less likely to get stuck in the plunger.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2017, 11:45:02 AM »
Ok, can someone explain to me how to use a french press and make clean up less of a pain.

I don't get this either. 

1.  pour coffee into cup
2.  remove plunger
3.  pour grounds down drain, rinse vessel and plunger and put in dishwasher.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline daniel1948

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2017, 12:41:04 PM »
I've never been a fan of French press coffee. I prefer those octagonal stove-top espresso things. But I do have a French press and have used it. To clean it I place one of those very flimsy plastic bags from the produce department over it (I buy a lot of fresh veggies) and shake it out into the bag. Then I wash the remaining grounds and the grounds clinging to the plunger down the drain.

That should all have been past tense, since my arrhythmia has forced me to abandon caffeine altogether, and while instant decaf (except Starbucks!) has virtually no caffeine, brewed decaf still has too much for me.

I think the trick to the best coffee is to force the water through the grounds as quickly as possible, which is what makes espresso better, and those octagonal things do it almost as well as (and a lot cheaper than) a fancy espresso machine.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

Offline Nemmzy

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2017, 01:32:27 PM »
Must be I am the only one that saves mine for my garden?

personate-rain