Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 4876 times)

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
The Orville
« on: May 16, 2017, 03:53:53 PM »
Not a huge McFarlane fan, but he is talented and loves Star Trek so I have hope. Also, this seems like a sequel to the show in Galaxy Quest, especially the look of the show. Hopefully this turns out to be something special.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
Re: The Orville
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:00:35 PM »
That was boring and coated with McFarlame's oily sheen.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 10:19:57 PM »
For lighthearted sci-fi, I'd give it a 7/10.  I'll keep watching.

It's like Star Trek: TNG meets Galaxy Quest.
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 04:28:03 AM »
The look was pretty good and I'm happy they didn't mock the underlying setting of the show. The jokes and gags almost all fell flat for me though. I mean if you're going to go for an everyman of the future that's fine, but how far is an officer going to get who acts like the captain of this show? IDK, I can see how this show could mature and be better once it finds it's stride, and the first episode was enjoyable enough that I'm hoping that happens.  Probably the thing I found most off-putting when comparing this to Trek though, was that for a premiere episode the plot was way too centered on the relationship of Captain and XO and just treated the mission as a backdrop. I imagine that maybe next episode will explore the macguffin a bit more, but I would have preferred this episode to focus on that and maybe assign the ex wife at the end as a teaser for next week. Would have done a better job establishing the main character BEFORE introducing the conflict.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 04:28:26 AM »
For lighthearted sci-fi, I'd give it a 7/10.  I'll keep watching.

It's like Star Trek: TNG meets Galaxy Quest.

It wishes it were like that.  It is but a cheap knock off of them, at best.  Where women are still casually referred to as bitches for the lulz.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 12:09:48 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline seamas

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 10:39:45 AM »
I didn't even know about this, was  busy watching the Giants offensive line crumble. We did a brief switch of stations and saw the last 2 seconds or so.
My kids both love Star Trek (TOS) and Galaxy Quest. We might give this a shot next week.

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 02:36:44 PM »
I didn't even know about this, was  busy watching the Giants offensive line crumble. We did a brief switch of stations and saw the last 2 seconds or so.
My kids both love Star Trek (TOS) and Galaxy Quest. We might give this a shot next week.

First episode is available for free on Google Play, iTunes, Hulu, and oddly, Yahoo.

https://view.yahoo.com/show/the-orville

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 05:03:21 AM »
women are still casually referred to as bitches for the lulz.

some people prefer to be happy than grumpy.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 07:00:15 AM »
finished watching that episode, and in the final scene I realized I'd completely missed whereever they'd referred to women as bitches for the lulz.

which scene was it? or is there an ep 2 out that I couldn't find?
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
I missed the first 1/3 of the episode.  What I saw was ok but I'm still not sure . I'll watch it but I can see how McFarlane can get to you after a bit. It has potential.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »
Dammit, this plotline and high concept needs better writers, better characters, better actors, better show bible / internal world logic, and consistent theming.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2017, 10:43:02 PM »
Better than the pilot!

Edit: And you know what?  Zoos are kind of evil. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 12:04:00 AM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 12:42:17 AM »
Dammit, this plotline and high concept needs better writers, better characters, better actors, better show bible / internal world logic, and consistent theming.

I think the second episode was a lot better than the first so at least it's a step in the right direction.  Hell, it even made me chuckle a few times, especially the doctor's reaction to being placed in command.  I'm not sure I'm on board with making the captain the butt of a million jokes though.  I mean, it's fine for an all-out comedy, but for a show that's trying to balance comedy with drama it actively undermines the character.  I can't say I find any of the actors to be amazing, but they haven't had much opportunity to be in the show and I only know McFarlane and Padalecki.  I'm curious what complaints you have about the show bible or internal logic though; I can't say I've noticed anything at this point that bothered me and honestly, it doesn't feel like we really know much about what the show bible might say.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 11:27:47 AM »
a zoo episode, eh.

Offline Mormegil

• Seasoned Contributor
  • Know Evolution, know life. No Evolution, no life
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
a zoo episode, eh.

It's been done at least as far back as "The Twilight Zone.".  I did enjoy the way they resolved it.

personate-rain