Author Topic: Anime and Manga  (Read 859 times)

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
Anime and Manga
« on: August 23, 2012, 12:36:56 PM »
Are there any anime and manga fans here?  I've been a long time anime fan since I was in middle school and I've seen tons of series and movies from different genres over the years.  While I've become more cynical of American cartoons over the years as I've gotten older, my love of anime only keeps getting stronger it seems like.  I love anime because of its wide diversity of genres and the complexity of the stories.  My top five favorite anime series are:

Fullmetal Alchemist (both the original and Brotherhood)
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Ghost in the Shell SAC/2nd Gig
Cardcaptor Sakura
Vision of Escaflowne

My top five favorite anime movies are:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Akira
Perfect Blue
Paprika
Evasngelion 2.0

The only anime I can say I absolutely hated has been Bakugan.  At least Pokemon and Digimon were actually original ideas at the time when they came out and Yugioh was actually somewhat entertaining when it was still following the manga but Bakugan isn't even attempting anything original and is just a lame rip off of Pokemon crossed over with Digimon and Yugioh and all the characters in it are so obnoxiously annoying and the character designs are all the worst in anime stereotypes.  My favorite manga would have to be the manga version of Sailor Moon which has been so much better than the anime version. 

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Re: Anime and Manga
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »
I have seen quite a lot of anime and manga. I'm into the ongoing mangas of: One piece, Bleach, Naruto, and Hajime no Hippo.

I loved Neon Genesis.

I would suggest the following if you haven't seen them yet:
* Giant Robo: the day the earth stood still.
* Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
* Code Geass
* Gantz.
* Death Note.

As a skeptic I really enjoyed Ghost Hunt. Assume that ghosts really exist, then this is how real ghost hunters would be.

Now for something really deep Go for
* Monster - Best suspense drama I've seen in anime.
* Twelve Kingdoms - Best universe and character reactions to events. Not your typical "girl gets spirited to a far away land, romance" Anime. This one is based on a series of books from Fuyumi Ono, excellent books.

And yes, I am a very big anime and Manga fan. I am currently looking for a new manga to read. I've haven't seen anime in a while though.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Guillermo

• Frequent Poster
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »
Since you like Card Capter Sakura, have you seen anything else from Clamp? I have learn to blindly watch or read anything they make.
"There will one day be a member named "No Lynch" and he won't be able to play mafia.  :P"

Offline Ansalem

• Well Established
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 03:32:14 PM »
I'm definitely a fan of anime. I've read a good bit of manga but it's rare that I can keep reading them for long. I don't like comic book style storytelling in general, really. A lot of it is quite good, though. Usually I read the manga when the anime takes a turn for the DBZ.

I don't really have a top 5, since the ones at the top are all pretty close to each other for me, so I'll just list off a random number.

Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood over the original, but both for sure)
Death Note
Cowboy Beebop
Blood+
Trigun
Ergo Proxy (mostly because of the uniqueness)
Naruto up until a little past Sasuke's big moment, and small portions of the rest
Monster
Gantz
Dennou Coil
Avatar: The Last Airbender (I know it's not anime, but I always include it in these lists anyway due to the similarity and quality)

There are several others I like, but those have been my favorites so far. Naruto is one I started reading the manga for rather than watching the show. I haven't seen all of the ones you guys listed, I'll have to check them out. I'm generally not a fan of the giant mecha types, though. Lelouch of the Revolution and Evangelion have been the only exceptions to that so far.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:46:59 PM »
I'm a casual fan. 

I liked Nausicaa and other Miyazake films, and I've read a few books.  One series that I liked in particualr was the Life of Buddha by Osamu Tezuka.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Neon Genesis

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »
Since you like Card Capter Sakura, have you seen anything else from Clamp? I have learn to blindly watch or read anything they make.
I've enjoyed most everything from Clamp I've seen.  I love X TV though I didn't care much for the movie version.  I know a lot of people prefer the Magic Knight Rayearth TV series over the OVAs, but I actually enjoyed both versions of that.  I also thought Chobits was pretty funny and I loved Angelic Layer too though I actually prefer the anime version of that over the manga.  I also really liked XXXholic and I wish Funimation would license the second season.  It had one of the best dubs I've seen.  I keep meaning to watch/read more of Tsubasa but I'm not sure if the manga is still available in English or if it's out of print now.  I also really liked their manga Wish and it's a shame they never made it into a series.  I still need to read Clover but the only Clamp series I never had much of an interest in seeing/reading was Miyuki-chan in Wonderland. 

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2019, 04:46:12 AM »

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 07:11:55 PM »
I recently started a show called Danmachi or "Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?"
Its a fun DnD style anime where mortals pledge rhemselves to earthbound gods to fight for their glory and in return get 'leveled up'. Its very fun though there is a good 4 episode stint in season 1 that has the usual hot springs episode and lots of the main character falling face first into bewbs.
The spin off series is about a queer side character and her crush on one of the main characters.

personate-rain