Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 9641 times)

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
Re: The Orville
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2017, 01:35:06 AM »
a zoo episode, eh.

It's been done at least as far back as "The Twilight Zone.".  I did enjoy the way they resolved it.

yeh. it was just funny to see two in the same week
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Tofu

• Off to a Start
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2017, 05:23:26 AM »
I'm gonna watch the first two episodes tonight. McFarlane has never been a favourite of mine either, but 1000 Ways to Die in the West (or something like that) had some really hilarious moments and swayed me towards giving him some leeway.
"come on. Judas is meeting us at midnight with the getaway donkeys"

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 09:26:46 AM »
It really helps that this is an ensemble cast.  MacFarlane still hasn't figured out use of his body and facial expressions. 

If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Tofu

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2017, 02:26:40 AM »
It really helps that this is an ensemble cast.  MacFarlane still hasn't figured out use of his body and facial expressions.

I think you're right. I must say, i really enjoyed how much of a throwback it was to the original Star Trek series and as much as I'd like to give MacFarlane credit for his creation here, the show would be better without him acting in it. All of the scenes in episode 2 with his participation were dull or contrived. Then again, without him this would mostly just be a remake. I hope he recognises the weaknesses and plugs them to make the series a success.
"come on. Judas is meeting us at midnight with the getaway donkeys"

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 03:23:14 AM »
personally I don't think the show justifies a full length lazy long Star Trek style intro music sequence.
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 04:25:38 AM »
Did he create this series because he wanted to act in it?

I haven't watched it yet, but seeing him in the promotional material makes it feel like something's off.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 07:48:01 AM »
he wanted to act in it

and didn't want to have to spend hours in the make-up chair.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 08:38:43 AM »
At this point I feel like MacFarlane's acting and his character are the weakest parts of the show thus far.  His relationship with his Ex/XO also clashes a lot with the premise of the show IMO as well. 

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 09:04:59 AM »
At this point I feel like MacFarlane's acting and his character are the weakest parts of the show thus far.  His relationship with his Ex/XO also clashes a lot with the premise of the show IMO as well.

Yes.  That and the tech is so inconstant.  Even in the first two eps, I can already see where they have written themselves into a corner with stuff that will tech their way out of too many problems.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »

Yes.  That and the tech is so inconstant.  Even in the first two eps, I can already see where they have written themselves into a corner with stuff that will tech their way out of too many problems.

At least that is a huge sci-fi trope. This show having a comedic bent also means that simply nodding and winking about such things wouldn't be too offensive if it comes up, though it does undermine the drama they seem to be aiming for.

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2017, 10:15:24 AM »
I tried with The Orville. It just made me want to go back and watch some classic Trek, so I did!

That's something, I guess.

Rick and Morty though, great googly moogly that show fucking kills! 

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 08:35:16 PM »
Uh oh::
About a Girl

The Orville crew is divided between cultures when Bortus and Klyden debate if their newly born offspring should receive a controversial surgery.

This is going to be a high wire act.

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 12:11:03 AM »
I liked this episode of Star Trek and will continue watching. 

That said, the writing could've been better.  They spent a lot of time on cross-species comparisons which were irrelevant to either what Bortus/Klyden found persuasive or to thei quasi-genocidal compatriots' concerns.  It felt confused, which is probably appropriate for a cultural relativism episode.

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 02:11:59 AM »
Episode 3 takes an unexpected serious turn. 
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 04:02:45 AM »
This episode is by far the best they've done so far.  The acting was well done, the jokes mostly mostly made me laugh ("well, depending on how you use it" :D), and the plot totally makes good on striving to honor Star Trek.  I only have two real complaints.  One is that in service of a joke (admittedly a funny one) they undercut the core conflict of the show.  Making Bortus change his apparently stubborn mind solely by watching Rudolph was fucking hilarious, but it made his position way less plausible.  Why would he be so strongly opposed after having changed a core, lifelong belief only a few hours prior?  The other is, like Fortran said, the fact that all the counter arguments made at the arbitration, except the last one, relied on females of other species and were mostly irrelevant because of it.  For instance, what if females of their species evolved to have at 75% mortality rate after reaching a young age? 

Other than that though, if the show continues to produce episodes of this caliber or gets even better then I'll be a very happy camper.