Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 17215 times)

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
Re: The Orville
« Reply #195 on: February 01, 2019, 04:59:50 PM »
So on another note I inadvertently got into a brief discussion with Doug Drexler (worked behind the scenes on TNG, Voyager, Enterprise, BSG, etc) and he related that he has a gripe with The Orville because of how they shamelessly ripped off all the work done on Star Trek and didn't even attempt to hire anyone from the TNG era art department they ripped off of.

Quote from: Doug Drexler
Orville has picked our corpse clean, appropriated the texture and look that we spent decades creating. There are some of our writers there, director of photography Marvin Rush is there. They strive to imitate us visually... but is there a single art department person on staff who sweated blood to create the look that they are aping? Not a one. I think it's shameful. Shame on you McFarland.

Never thought of The Orville from a Hollywood professional stance before.  I'm still loving the show and intend to keep watching, but it's definitely a different perspective I was not expecting to see.

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #196 on: February 01, 2019, 09:10:34 PM »
So on another note I inadvertently got into a brief discussion with Doug Drexler (worked behind the scenes on TNG, Voyager, Enterprise, BSG, etc) and he related that he has a gripe with The Orville because of how they shamelessly ripped off all the work done on Star Trek and didn't even attempt to hire anyone from the TNG era art department they ripped off of.

Orville has picked our corpse clean, appropriated the texture and look that we spent decades creating. There are some of our writers there, director of photography Marvin Rush is there. They strive to imitate us visually... but is there a single art department person on staff who sweated blood to create the look that they are aping? Not a one. I think it's shameful. Shame on you McFarland.

Never thought of The Orville from a Hollywood professional stance before.  I'm still loving the show and intend to keep watching, but it's definitely a different perspective I was not expecting to see.

That sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. The TNG and Voyager aesthetic does run strong in the show, but that is not unique to Orville by any means. I'd be surprised if McFarlane actively avoided hiring people from TNG or Voyager - though I can see him fearing exposure to IP lawsuits if he did.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #197 on: February 01, 2019, 09:17:15 PM »

That sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. The TNG and Voyager aesthetic does run strong in the show, but that is not unique to Orville by any means. I'd be surprised if McFarlane actively avoided hiring people from TNG or Voyager - though I can see him fearing exposure to IP lawsuits if he did.

Oh it's definitely sour grapes and Drexler is no stranger to IP problems considering he was forced to shut down his absolutely amazing blog, Drexfiles, down over complaints of lack of attribution (complete BS).  Still, I can't say I don't understand, especially when they've brought on so many Trek actors, directors, and writers to help them be more Trek-like.

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2019, 04:16:02 PM »
I have not watched this show; I've been rather avoiding it. But given how much some of you seem to like it and the fact that it's been at least moderately successful, perhaps I've been unfairly dismissing it.

Can someone give me a sense of what (if anything) about it is transformational? That is to say...what makes it not just a Star Trek knock off, but an original work of art in its own right?
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2019, 04:29:10 PM »
It's good, stands on its own merit.

It fills the niche of 'optimistic, generally upbeat sci-fi.' 

And this last episode (S02E06) was hilarious and nicely done.  It was like an Isaac Asimov dramedy.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2019, 08:24:44 PM »
An entire planet of sapient robots? That couldn't have happened naturally. Who built them and why? What happened to the builders?

Basically, if a race realized that they could never reach the stars themselves then perhaps they'd create "well-behaved Von Neumann machines" that would use only non-living worlds to bootstrap & replicate on, with their primary goal being to save and share the memory of their creators. Even with thousands of expeditions/swarms sent out, if even just one or two made it to the self-replicating stage then evolution would hopefully take over.

It's a bit sad to think that over millennia they may forgot a lot of what they know about their creators, but with any luck they'd still exemplify the best properties of them and maybe remember to avoid some of their pitfalls. If they eventually stumble upon other intelligent life, then they could share the creators' history (one way or another) …and maybe even start carrying on the memories of these new friends too.

Then again, maybe the machines on Kaylon evolved from a different self-replicating technology designed to proclaim “Squids Are Stupid!” ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ68cQj2KqQ )

I really like the arc idea too, though hopfully it won't be too trite. Sometimes it really does feel like I'm simply watching "TNG without the annoying smugness."
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 09:17:54 PM by swan »

Online brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #201 on: February 02, 2019, 08:29:21 PM »
I was impressed with the nuanced writing. Neural networks are messy. Also, I KNEW I knew the blob's voice!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline jt512

• Frequent Poster
    • jt512
« Reply #202 on: February 02, 2019, 08:30:04 PM »
I have not watched this show; I've been rather avoiding it. But given how much some of you seem to like it and the fact that it's been at least moderately successful, perhaps I've been unfairly dismissing it.

Can someone give me a sense of what (if anything) about it is transformational? That is to say...what makes it not just a Star Trek knock off, but an original work of art in its own right?

Just watch a couple episodes and judge for yourself.
Ich verstehe nur Bahnhof.

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #203 on: February 02, 2019, 09:01:08 PM »

Just watch a couple episodes and judge for yourself.

I have dropped off after a few episodes into S2. It's not bad. It's just very Meh and some of the acting is fairly mediocre.

Though to be fair, I've never got into Star Trek either. Apart from loving the original series as a kid.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #204 on: February 02, 2019, 11:09:39 PM »
It's basically star trek TNG fan fiction that explores more of the interpersonal relationships between crew members than TNG did.
And the people act more informally. 

But no it doesn't exactly break new ground.
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #205 on: February 02, 2019, 11:29:01 PM »
New ground?  Not really, but it's gone a bit further with its moral statements than TNG ever did.  They also seem more prepared to tackle currently difficult issues and make more definite statements than TNG too. 

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #206 on: February 03, 2019, 12:52:16 AM »
OK, in terms of humor, this is a great example of them getting it right and drawing humor from the story and characters instead of tacking it on:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #207 on: February 03, 2019, 02:15:03 AM »
I like how they handled Isaac last episode.

(click to show/hide)

Also, I love this B-Plot:
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Arg, zapped for copyright.

Here's a clip of a one-off gag:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 02:22:55 AM by Soldier of FORTRAN »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
« Reply #208 on: February 03, 2019, 02:49:19 AM »
Arg, zapped for copyright.

Bah!  Oh well.  I tried.

• Reef Tank Owner