Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 18130 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: The Orville
« Reply #240 on: February 22, 2019, 04:44:32 PM »
Oh man, that would own.  Maybe they'll go all Dr. Strangelove about the organic's propensity to sap and impurify our precious algorithms
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #241 on: February 22, 2019, 05:05:32 PM »
I also thought the Union was being far too hasty in extending membership invite to Kraylon. These are machines they're dealing with! Wouldn't the Union want to know their backstory first? Who built them, why, and what happened to the builders? You know, the very same questions we were asking earlier in this thread.  Heck wouldn't the Union want to verify that they were truly autonomous machines and not under control of some other race for possible nefarious or at least conflicting ambitions?    But then again they let the Maclans in, so...…..

Offline swan

• Off to a Start
  • Whatever happened to the Principle of Charity?
« Reply #242 on: February 23, 2019, 04:00:52 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Anyway, whatever happens next I know will be interesting and probably unexpected; definitely enjoyable.

Offline CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2019, 05:15:03 PM »
I’m speculating that the boys will be the ones to figure out the Kaylon strategy because they’ve played a lot of that 3D chess-like game and that will give them an insight.

I’m almost certain Issac will do something traitorous (to the Kaylons) and save the ship somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #244 on: March 01, 2019, 02:56:19 PM »
"Identity" Pt. 2

Well. That was totally predictable. Enjoyable but predictable. I imagine the next few eps are going to be bottle shows as it looks they blew most of the season budget on this! Some thoughts, I'll try to keep spoilers minor:

*Why didn't Yaphet keep passing guns to more of the crew so they might have staged a full-scale attempt to re-take the ship?

*Disappointed to learn that Isaac wasn't named after Asimov. Maybe McFarland felt Newton would be know to a wider audience.

*Also disappointed to learn that the Kraylon were mistreated by their builders. I liked the idea that the AI's decided to exterminate all biological life out of a cold, emotionless logical reasoning that such life was inefficient, inferior, and irrelevant. Nothing personal guys! Giving the Kraylon a somewhat legitimate reason for their jihad robbed them of a bit of menace. 

*Don't like the idea that of all the Kraylon only one, Isaac, was constructed after the revolution and of course he turns out to have "feelings". I liked my idea of the Kraylon sending out dozens of Ambassadors to all the races in this universe, including the Krill. It would have   made for an interesting episode meeting the Krill version of Isaac.

*Not buying that Isaac would be forgiven so easily, even if he was instrumental in defeating the invasion. How will a Orville crewman who lost a husband or wife in the attack feel rounding a corridor and seeing Isaac serving aboard the ship? What will his rank/job be aboard the ship? I can't see anyone taking orders from him after this!

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #245 on: March 01, 2019, 03:27:09 PM »
"Identity" Pt. 2

*Don't like the idea that of all the Kraylon only one, Isaac, was constructed after the revolution and of course he turns out to have "feelings". I liked my idea of the Kraylon sending out dozens of Ambassadors to all the races in this universe, including the Krill. It would have   made for an interesting episode meeting the Krill version of Isaac.

I don't think they said he was the only one. Just that he was born after the overthrow. Maybe that's all the blue-eyed bots.  Hmm....

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #246 on: March 01, 2019, 06:09:17 PM »
I completely agree that this episode was waaaay too predictable, but ultimately enjoyable.  My biggest disappointment is in seeing the complete lack of visual creativity of the show on full display here.  All Union ships are virtually identical, just different sizes.  Same with all Krill.  Talk about boring, and what a way to make me not interested at all in whatever world-building is going on in this show. 

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #247 on: March 04, 2019, 08:36:37 AM »
I'm still enjoying the show, but creatively it never quite seems to fully commit to anything.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 03:43:53 PM by superdave »
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #248 on: March 05, 2019, 01:53:06 PM »
It's basically star trek TNG fan fiction that explores more of the interpersonal relationships between crew members than TNG did.
And the people act more informally. 

But no it doesn't exactly break new ground.

Yeah, that was my impression, and that's not something I am remotely interested in consuming.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #249 on: June 29, 2019, 12:15:44 AM »
McFarlane announced that they’re doing season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

personate-rain