Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 17220 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: The Orville
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 09:42:33 AM »
Making Bortus change his apparently stubborn mind solely by watching Rudolph was fucking hilarious, but it made his position way less plausible.

That was hilarious.  It also set up a touching moment with the doll.

As far as Bortus' credulity goes, I hope it was meant as characterization.  Maybe he's more anxiety-prone or sentimental than we thought?  Maybe his cultural identity is changing thanks to serving on a Union ship? (Tune in next week to find out!)
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 02:23:15 PM »
I like how they bother to put in the little detail that in the future/their world it only takes 12 seconds to fix a cleft palate :)

some painfully high school health class video dialogue in there, though.

ugh, I just got up to the home planet stuff
(click to show/hide)

aaaand now I'm up to the circumcision apologetics. apparently that still exists in the future.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:02:33 PM by GodSlayer »
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 03:07:09 PM »
The Maclans are basically, "What if the Nazis won (centuries ago)?," but against non-males.  I'd give the stereotyping a pass.  If they weren't nasty fellas then there wouldn't have been a genocide!

Edit:  I said, "quasi-genocidal," earlier.  The concept of genocide would fully apply here, wouldn't it?

Edit 2: Adjusted phrasing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:13:36 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 04:08:05 PM »
I wonder what their 'procedure' is supposed to be -- presumably something capable of making the female as physically strong and intellectually competent as the males, since they can then be suffered to live, and even go through life without anyone realizing they would have become female-like because they are/were female (to whatever extent the procedure can't alter the genes that are relevant to their differences).

makes me think of the whole 'severe male brain' idea of autism - can we 'correct' the millennial sickness of pathological empathy by giving a healthy dose of male-ing the brains of safe-spacers who're either female or male but underdeveloped/too-female to happily adhere to the ideal standard that is the virtuous 'man', of noble and brave character?
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 04:38:44 PM »
Nah, just bring back day drinking and beating your kids and we'll back to the Good Old Days in no time! 

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 11:16:41 PM »
Nah, just bring back day drinking

ah. back. yes. back...

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2017, 09:18:43 AM »
I thought the first episode was good enough to warrant watching more. The second was painful to watch and I almost gave up. The zoo was dumb. The sex change episode was ok i guess the trial dragged a bit. Maybe I'll watch a couple more but I can see this getting old really fast if they keep the sexist, body function, drinking jokes up.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2017, 11:29:10 AM »
So is it all gender politics so far?

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2017, 12:43:35 PM »
Just that one episode takes on gender. The others are more about the relationship of the captain and his ex-wife XO.
The first episode is worth watching.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2017, 05:50:50 PM »
I'm still not sure about it. I'll keep watching but I'm not sure yet.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2017, 10:08:34 PM »
Just that one episode takes on gender. The others are more about the relationship of the captain and his ex-wife XO.

I thought it was only sex it took on.

maybe in the future they'll do an ep where a species with only two or even just one sex has 15 different genders

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2017, 11:28:03 PM »
Just watched episode 4 and holy shit that casting

Overall, this is way better than I expected it to be

Edit:  I took the themes as relating to climate denialism and theocracy.  Also, I dug the flat earth / turtle imagery
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:49:37 PM by Soldier of FORTRAN »

Offline Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2017, 03:28:29 AM »
Yes, this was another solid episode that was ultimately very Trek-like.  I still find a lot of the humor misplaced and off-putting and I still dislike the disharmony between Capt Mercer being both a bumbling moron and a capable officer, but other than that I have very few complaints about this episode.  Not ground-breaking or anything, but it's like comfort food for the Trekkie in me.

On another note, seeing that cameo at the end made me realize that with Seth's passion for this show and his connections in show biz that it's highly probably we're gonna get a decent amount of Star Trek cameos at some point or another.  Patrick Stewart at least seems a certainty given how much he's shown up in Seth's other work.

ETA: Also, forgot to mention that I'm quickly getting tired of the excessive focus on Mercer and Grayson's divorce.  Every once in a while is fine when you have something new to add but they are just rehashing the same jokes and points every episode.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 03:31:28 AM by Eternally Learning »

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2017, 05:03:28 AM »
1300 hours?
oh, 1pm.

typical smart wife dumb husband sitcom misandry. disgraceful.

2,000 year old ship and a family of English-speaking people with American accents... such anglocentricism! do not look forward to future episodes
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:08:02 AM by GodSlayer »

Offline MTBox

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • "The last best place" to be, in or out of a box
« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »
I find it entertaining, which is fine. It reminds me a bit of The Librarians series, which is not bad if you sit through it with pre-teens and listen to their comments.

I keep thinking it will drop into Cheesy, since it is riding that edge, but it hasn't yet. I think waiting for that to happen took some of the fun out of it, and now I just "go along for the ride." It is a bit slow paced at times and could be better edited. I don't know why every commercial break returns with the Ship In Space view, though. If we left an interior scene, why come back to Space view?

personate-rain
personate-rain