Author Topic: The Orville  (Read 19933 times)

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Re: The Orville
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2017, 08:13:47 AM »
Just saw episode 12. They are going to get some angry letters.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2017, 08:59:40 AM »
I think I sort of get this show better now.  It's not so much a parody of star trek as much as a particular ship in star trek that's crewed by the B team.  Now that I think of the show in those terms, some of the issues I have had bother me less than before.  They do stupid things and make mistakes that The Enterprise crew would never do because this is just not a very good crew. 

And if the show really runs with this, it could do something interesting.  We are so used to these types of shows with people who really know what they are doing.  There are many story lines that open up once a crew doesn't really have its shit together, both comedic and dramatic. 
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2017, 11:07:47 AM »
I enjoyed this product and/or service.  A+++!

In particular, I liked the nakedly anti-religion and pro-reason themes to episode 12.  It was the best kind of ham handed
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2017, 05:02:13 PM »
It wasn't entirely Anti religion. In fact it was assuredly Pro religion as a method for civilization achieving a certain level.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2017, 08:59:20 PM »
It wasn't entirely Anti religion. In fact it was assuredly Pro religion as a method for civilization achieving a certain level.

An atheist would see it that way perhaps, but someone religious would almost certainly see it as anti-religious because the message is not "the beliefs of religion are real," the message is "religion is based on BS beliefs and does a lot of harm, but is useful/necessary as a stepping stone towards a more advanced society."  I wouldn't entirely disagree with that message either.  I think that religion absolutely was a useful lie for a long time, but now it is at least getting to the point where it is no longer needed to function.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2017, 09:29:15 PM »

An atheist would see it that way perhaps, but someone religious would almost certainly see it as anti-religious because the message is not "the beliefs of religion are real," the message is "religion is based on BS beliefs and does a lot of harm, but is useful/necessary as a stepping stone towards a more advanced society."  I wouldn't entirely disagree with that message either.  I think that religion absolutely was a useful lie for a long time, but now it is at least getting to the point where it is no longer needed to function.

Whether it was pro or anti Religious institutions is one thing, and good arguments could be made either way.

But it's clear that the basis of the religious beliefs of the people on this planet had nothing to do with any kind of spirituality. I would argue it was anti-deism.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #156 on: December 13, 2017, 02:27:04 PM »
The show's okay. McFarlane's created a decent pseudo-Trek universe. I think if he would open up the show to other writers besides himself, it might really take off. Maybe the humor wouldn't sound so forced and wooden. 

What I can't get over is how damn BIG the crew quarters are (at least for the senior staff). Commander Kelly's quarters were a spilt-level. A split-level!! She walked up a spiral staircase to her bed!! I realize this is the far future and advance tech leads to increasing miniaturization, but that's an absurd waste of space on any kind of ship outside of a luxury cruiser. What's the crew count of the Orville? Does everyone have such spacious digs?     Yeah, I know it's a comedy, but it's border-line serious enough for this to bug me. And yes, STAR TREK had roomy ship quarters too, but not on this scale. 

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2017, 02:52:08 PM »
The show's okay. McFarlane's created a decent pseudo-Trek universe. I think if he would open up the show to other writers besides himself, it might really take off. Maybe the humor wouldn't sound so forced and wooden. 

What I can't get over is how damn BIG the crew quarters are (at least for the senior staff). Commander Kelly's quarters were a spilt-level. A split-level!! She walked up a spiral staircase to her bed!! I realize this is the far future and advance tech leads to increasing miniaturization, but that's an absurd waste of space on any kind of ship outside of a luxury cruiser. What's the crew count of the Orville? Does everyone have such spacious digs?     Yeah, I know it's a comedy, but it's border-line serious enough for this to bug me. And yes, STAR TREK had roomy ship quarters too, but not on this scale.

That's the joke, the show is very much a parody.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2017, 02:59:08 PM »
I don't think the room size is supposed to be a joke.  They're supposed to be a post-scarcity fleet where the bottle-necking is on personnel shortages.  Why wouldn't they have large quarters?
... in war the screams are loud and harsh and in peace the wail is so drawn-out we tell ourselves we hear nothing.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2017, 03:14:22 PM »
I don't think the room size is supposed to be a joke.  They're supposed to be a post-scarcity fleet where the bottle-necking is on personnel shortages.  Why wouldn't they have large quarters?

The ship is not infinite in size. Actually judging by the shuttle being the size of a large van the ship is kinda small.
There is a lot of wasted space in the ship but I think that is really for the benefit of aesthetic tv viewing.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline CarbShark

« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »

If it's not supposed to be a joke, I found it funny anyway.

I saw it as a subtle dig against Star Trek. Not just the rooms, but the corridors. They are even wider than the corridors on Star Trek.

The only purpose for having corridors that wide is to be able to use a full camera dolly rig, but with steady-cams those aren't needed anymore.

I also thought it funny when in one episode they're in a corridor near the crew quarters, and they open a locker mounted on the wall and pull out a cache of weapons. Do they have those every ten feet in every hallway?

There's a lot of subtle little jokes like that in the show that I'm enjoying.

« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2017, 03:44:38 PM »
If it's not supposed to be a joke, I found it funny anyway.

To be honest, I actually did, too.  Gives me a 'luxury cruise ship' vibe.

Online Eternally Learning

• Master Mr. a.k.a. Methodical Loaf
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Break a leg, badger!
    • Get Past The 140 Character Limit!
« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2017, 04:00:02 PM »

That is a definite weakness of the show so far in my opinion as well. TOS, TNG, and DS9 thrived on having a diverse and talented writers' room.  I can only hope that Seth's name figured so heavily into the writing credits of the first season because that was how he had to pitch it to Fox, and now that it's successful, he'll be able to bring in more outside talent.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2017, 04:04:40 PM »
A big problem with McFarlane properties is that he stretches his writing talent across too many shows at once and the end result can feel very diluted across the board.
Also, he is a smarmy asshole, so that doesnt help.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #164 on: December 14, 2017, 09:40:18 AM »
Just saw episode 12. They are going to get some angry letters.

for shrugging off the rape/free-will thing?
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.