Author Topic: Caffeine Overdose Killed South Carolina Teen, Coroner Rules  (Read 588 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Found it on a source I never saw before but linked to something hopefully more reputable
Seems hard to believe with the amount of drinks he is suppose to have consumed.
Wonder if it actually was not something else.

I am not saying you cannot die from caffeine overdose but looks like he had not consumed enough.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/south-carolina-teen-died-caffeine-overdose-coroner-rules-n759716

A 16-year-old boy died from a caffeine overdose after drinking caffeine-laden soft drinks, coffee and an energy drink, a South Carolina coroner said Monday.

Davis Allen Cripe collapsed and died last month, Richland County coroner Gary Watts told a news conference.

"On this particular day within the two hours prior to his death, we know had consumed a large diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte from McDonalds and also some type of energy drink," Watts said.

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
Re: Caffeine Overdose Killed South Carolina Teen, Coroner Rules
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 10:14:09 AM »
Yeah, that's not enough, not by a longshot. Assuming he's 150 pounds (which is probably on the small side for a HS male), the LD50 is somewhere north of 60 cups.

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/death-by-caffeine

If he drank a large diet Mountain Dew (if by "large" they mean one of those 40 ounce things, that's... about 2.5 cups of coffee), a latte from McDonald's (1 cup), and "some kind of energy drink" (the strongest kind I could find is this stuff called Redline, which is marketed as a weight loss supplement more than an energy drink due to its high stimulant content and about 8 times more potent than coffee... it comes in a 4 oz container so you'd be consuming about 4 cups of coffee), that still only adds up to around 7.5 cups. Don't get me wrong, that's way too f'ing much caffeine, but it's waaaay the F short of the amount required to OD. A possible counter-explanation is if he bought, say, 12 of those Redlines...
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 11:29:48 AM »
Reminds of that story from a few years ago where a coroner reported Coca Cola was the cause of death of a women but when you looked into the story she'd hadn't eaten anything but chips or drank anything but coke for weeks. 

Offline albator

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 11:31:38 AM »
"This is not a caffeine overdose," Watts(the coroner) said. "We're not saying that it was the total amount of caffeine in the system, it was just the way that it was ingested over that short period of time, and the chugging of the energy drink at the end was what the issue was with the cardiac arrhythmia."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/caffeine-coroner-1.4116942
The claims is not that he OD'd on caffeone.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 11:33:46 AM by albator »

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 11:32:11 AM »
Reminds of that story from a few years ago where a coroner reported Coca Cola was the cause of death of a women but when you looked into the story she'd hadn't eaten anything but chips or drank anything but coke for weeks.
Right, me thought is something else like exhaustion or a pre-existing heart condition is at play here.
HIISSSSSSSS

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »
Right, me thought is something else like exhaustion or a pre-existing heart condition is at play here.
Right.
Unexpected heart attacks in low risk individuals do happen and they sometimes get attributed by lay observers to some sort of behaviour in the deceased (I remember in one case of a young athlete, 'they' said it was because he was too fit)

This just seems like a desire for narrative closure.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »
Vox has a good article on this:

https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/5/17/15649722/caffeine-overdose-health-risks-coffee-energy-drinks

The gist: you're under no real danger of ODing on caffeine unless you drink a *lot* of energy drinks at once or mess with the powdered stuff (some supplements, for example, are made to mix with water and have a bunch of caffeine in there in its powdered form. If you were to, say, just chug down an entire cup of that, that might be a dangerous dosage of caffeine).
Speak what you think now in hard words, and to-morrow speak what to-morrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said to-day.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline gmalivuk

• Frequent Poster
    • http://gmalivuk.livejournal.com
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2017, 04:27:15 PM »
But as mentioned, the coroner doesn't actually say it was an overdose.
The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better...is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.

Offline Johnny Slick

• "Goddammit, Slick."
  • Fake Ass Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2017, 04:54:41 PM »
But as mentioned, the coroner doesn't actually say it was an overdose.
Right, and the article goes into some more depth in talking about how non-overdoses can lead to heart palpitations, etc., which can in turn lead to badder things. So it is a greyer area; I just, like, chose to highlight the bits that are being straight-up misreported.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2017, 07:00:00 PM »
When I was in the Navy we'd stop by the mess decks 30 gal. coffee pots and cut off a cup or two. You could chew that for the duration of your watch and then spit it into a trash can with a tight lid. We weren't allowed to spit it overboard, Greenpeace would raise hell, and if it made it to a beach ...  :-[
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2017, 09:46:13 AM »
When I was in the Navy we'd stop by the mess decks 30 gal. coffee pots and cut off a cup or two. You could chew that for the duration of your watch and then spit it into a trash can with a tight lid. We weren't allowed to spit it overboard, Greenpeace would raise hell, and if it made it to a beach ...  :-[
When I was in, they'd also brew coffee for the grounds a few times before throwing them out, the sludge at the bottom was mostly caffeine free. 

Also, we through threw everything overboard. except what we burned for security reasons.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2017, 10:50:29 AM by Ah.hell »

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2017, 10:47:22 AM »
When I was in, they'd also brew coffee for the grounds a few times before throwing them out, the sludge at the bottom was mostly caffeine free. 

Also, we through everything overboard. except what we burned for security reasons.
I was '69-'89.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2017, 10:48:29 AM »

Also, we through everything overboard. except what we burned for security reasons.

Unfortunately even stuff that was not broke so that our budget did not go down
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 10:56:48 AM »

I was '69-'89.
30 if you like it, 20 if you don't.  I was in from 91-97.  When the ship was in drydock, my last year or so, they installed some equipment to compact and store trash and melt the plastics into dense blocks and started storing as much trash on board as they could for disposal in in port.  So, they were getting better.  Seriously though.  I was on a carrier we'd save the trash up on the aft mess deck because we couldn't go to the fantail during flight ops, then when we had the chance, we'd dump off the back.  There would be a miles long trail of trash behind the ship.  Even the relatively more conservative me of my youth thought that shit was......gross sad disturbing not right.

Definitely did the thing where we would order a bunch of shit we didn't need to make sure we kept our budget but never tossed any of it.   Just had a storage room full of excess cleaning supplies.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2017, 01:51:59 PM »
We spent a day one time sailing up and down the coast of Cuba while we were flushing fuel oil bunkers. Big Kisses, Fidel.

personate-rain