Author Topic: "This device is currently in use"  (Read 940 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
"This device is currently in use"
« on: May 20, 2017, 07:44:31 PM »
In windows 10 / 7, you try to click on eject for an external hard drive and you get the message "This device is currently in use."

You try to take a guess and closing stuff. Still sometimes you can close everything and it still repeats that message when you try to eject the drive. What is also bad is that it does not tell you what device is creating the issue. Yes, there are third party software that will do that but still.

A recent issue I had is that my laptop had updated windows 10, I was getting ready to leave, but did not want to wait on windows to complete its update. Tried to just eject the external drive and fold it up but refused to let me eject the disk.

Does this aggravate you if you use windows based machines?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: "This device is currently in use"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 08:35:19 PM »
I get that on my Mac, so it's certainly not Windows-specific. In my case, I just wait and it ends up ejecting the device anyway.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 09:18:04 PM »
Can't you just sleep your computer (or log off or shut down) and then safely remove it?

I have to say, I've never had a problem with hot unplugging storage.  I always check the light first, but that's it.  Of course, I keep off-site backups, so...
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Aspiring Super Villain
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 11:29:37 PM »
Atom is usually the culprit for me in this case, or poorly exited node commands.  I can find and kill the process under a Unix system.  No idea for Windows.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 03:57:40 AM »
Can't you just sleep your computer (or log off or shut down) and then safely remove it?
For me, no. It alerts me to the bad eject next time it wakes, or starts up.

Of course, I have a software cleanup that happens to all media on eject, so maybe that's it.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 12:15:41 AM »
I have to say, I've never had a problem with hot unplugging storage.  I always check the light first, but that's it.  Of course, I keep off-site backups, so...

Me either.  If it is just a portable drive of my own, I yank it out of the USB port.  If it is the only copy of something, or someone else's drive, I always eject.  No discernable difference.

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 08:44:44 AM »
I used to terminate the explorer.exe process when I had this problem, which took care of it. Though I wonder if that is essentially the same thing as pulling the plug.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 09:25:16 PM »

Me either.  If it is just a portable drive of my own, I yank it out of the USB port.  If it is the only copy of something, or someone else's drive, I always eject.  No discernable difference.
If you have processes running that you aren't aware of or maybe forgot you had started (automatic indexing, etc.) hot unplugging can be a problem. I alway go softly into that good night, so my drives last longer. (I finally got rid of my 8.5" drive a few weeks going, some collector wanted it.)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 09:36:21 PM »
This reminds me of a time when I worked in an office full of people. They always complained that their computers were crashing all the time. Mine never did. Never. The only difference I could work out was that I was shutting mine down every night, while they all left theirs running.

When I was on IT Support, people would call me because their computers crashed for no reason. I'd ask "when was the last time you shut it down?" The answer was "uh, maybe a few weeks ago?" more often than would seem coincidental.

Call me a pigeon in a Skinner box if you like, but I've always done things like shutting down at night and always ejecting removable media, and I very rarely have the crashes and problems that other people have who don't do those things. It might make no difference whatsoever, and I just happen to be lucky. But I'll continue to do them anyway.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 05:21:04 AM »
With Windows, until XP, you really had to shut down your computer every night or run into problems.
Now, XP, 7, 8, and 10 all like to be shut down and restarted once in a while but it is not like previous Windows versions. 
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Frequent Poster
  • mooh
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2017, 05:21:56 PM »
With Windows, until XP, you really had to shut down your computer every night or run into problems.
Now, XP, 7, 8, and 10 all like to be shut down and restarted once in a while but it is not like previous Windows versions.

I actually have more problems with windows 10 than I did with XP/7 (but not so much stability issues, mostly that after a few days my internet connection dies and it won't come back up again until I reboot).
Mooohn!

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 08:35:52 PM »
I actually have more problems with windows 10 than I did with XP/7 (but not so much stability issues, mostly that after a few days my internet connection dies and it won't come back up again until I reboot).

Clogged up by tracking data.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2017, 06:45:42 AM »

I had that trouble, so now I put my computer to "sleep" when I'm not using it and it stopped doing that. Weird glitch.