Author Topic: Joe Rogan upping his Science & Skepticism game  (Read 47446 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Joe Rogan upping his Science & Skepticism game
« on: May 26, 2017, 06:47:55 PM »
His podcast had two recent episodes that caught my attention:

#965 - Robert Sapolsky (Research Neurobiologist)
(click to show/hide)

#959 - Mick West (Debunker, they discuss Flat Earth theory and advocacy at length.)
(click to show/hide)

The Joe Rogan Experience is extremely popular.  My podcatcher -- Podcast Addict -- lists the podcast as having ~1.3m subscribers and over a thousand episodes, new release every few days.  It's pretty nice that someone of his influence and reach has gone from moonlanding denialism to occasionally stumping for skepticism.  He routinely rags on Flat Earthers these days and occasionally talks about his past as a conspiracy theorist and why he substantially left all that behind.  It's nice to see this part of the culture making a little high profile progress and being disseminated to a huge number of people. 
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Joe Rogan upping his Science & Skepticism game
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 09:03:27 PM »
Does he still think that he's the centre of the universe?
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline Redamare

• Deleted
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 10:04:08 PM »
Is that a reference to something Joe Rogan actually said, or to something that is known about him?
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 10:37:51 PM »
Joe Rogan is my favorite meathead psychonaut and professional conversationalist. 

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 01:16:41 AM »
Is that a reference to something Joe Rogan actually said, or to something that is known about him?
Not in so many words.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline Belgarath

• Forum Sugar Daddy
  • Technical Administrator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 10:00:05 AM »
Joe Rogan has fairly regularly done 'skeptical' shows, but he also does loony occasionally.  I watch his feed and only download/listen to him when he's got something interesting to say that isn't bunk.

I think the last one I listened to was the Ron Miscavidge one.
#non-belief denialist

Offline Vicarious

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2017, 07:06:42 PM »
He's been gradually stepping into the light over the past few years since the "Joe Rogan questions everything". It's been a fascinating skeptical journey from moon hoaxer to public educator of meatheads;) He still holds an affinity for ancient civilizations and that Randall dude, and he wish Bigfoot was real, but yeah, he's now on the side of good. Probably the most important skeptic and science communicator in the world right now, reaching a vast audience that normally dislikes mainstream ideas and media. The SGU is still king amongst the already converted though:)

On a side note, as recent as 2013-14 I couldn't listen to his podcast due to the amount of pseudoscientific bullshit.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 08:05:49 AM by Vicarious »

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2017, 12:21:52 AM »
Oh man, I had no idea he's getting the Alan Watts treatment on youtube:

He's getting the whole, "intriguing segments set to music and video," treatment.  There's, like, a lot of them. 

Offline Henning

• Official Forum Artist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • Mad "Liker"
    • Anomalina
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2017, 12:42:20 AM »
Nice to hear, I'll have to give him another shot...
and might have to eat my words with a friend who I kinda dissed over his Wim Hof stuff.
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. --Voltaire
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence. -- Hitchens.

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2017, 12:48:19 AM »
Maybe.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:14:56 AM by Soldier of FORTRAN »

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 03:16:50 AM »
and might have to eat my words with a friend who I kinda dissed over his Wim Hof stuff.
Idk.
This all seems to be very low hanging fruit. With the Wim Hoff stuff and the Cryotherapy etc, Ive heard him promote as much bullshit as debunk it.
He has a ways to go in my mind before his sheet is balanced in terms of what he puts out in the world.

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 03:53:07 AM »
Idk.
This all seems to be very low hanging fruit. With the Wim Hoff stuff and the Cryotherapy etc, Ive heard him promote as much bullshit as debunk it.
He has a ways to go in my mind before his sheet is balanced in terms of what he puts out in the world.

I don't disagree in the least--but this also made me consider that even if he's still a believer/purveyor of some bunk, maybe he's now doing more good than harm in the critical thinking arena.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Online Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 05:29:20 AM »
He's been gradually stepping into the light over the past few years since the "Joe Rogan questions everything". It's been a fascinating skeptical journey from moon hoaxer to public educator of meatheads;) He still holds an affinity for ancient civilizations and that Randall dude, and he wish Bigfoot was real, but yeah, he's now on the side of good. Probably the most important skeptic and science communicator in the world right now, reaching a wast audience that normally dislikes mainstream ideas and media. The SGU is still king amongst the already converted though:)

On a side note, as recent as 2013-14 I couldn't listen to his podcast due to the amount of bullshit.

Lets be honest, I wish that Bigfoot was real. . . .That would be really cool.
Of course all the wishing in the world does not make something real.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline richm78

• Off to a Start
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 12:42:25 PM »
Idk.

In regards to the cryotherapy, I know Steve has spoken about how research does not support its' efficacy.  However, Joe Rogan is a physical specimen.  He is in exceptional shape for his age.  I would consider him an expert on physical training and an expert on his own body.  He has years of experience working out, trying different methods of rest/recovery.  His anecdotal experience with cryotherapy is that it does help his body to recover from injuries or recover from hardy workouts.  I don't think he is lying to his listeners.  It's not like he makes money on promoting cryotherapy.  In the research used to discredit cryotherapy, what criteria is used to determine if cold is good or bad for mean recovery time?  When I heard about the research, it sounded like they were more focused on the exact temperature being used rather than to focus on whether the resulting recovery time was improved or not.

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
Rogan may be a 'specimen' but that could be purely genetic.
Fit people are often TERRIBLE at figuring out what it is that makes them so and what benefits them. He feels like cryo helps him recover? Great. Phelps thinks cupping makes him swim faster.
This is not science and its not a skeptical approach.
The fact is that Rogan more than just spoke anecdotally, he promoted unproven treatments to a huge audience AND dissed Steve for his reservations on the treatment, going as far to imply that Steve had not done his research.
The guy is a meathead. Articulate and quite intelligent but a meathead at heart. He shows no sign (to me) of being a reliable skeptical thinker other than taking potshots at obvious bullshit that most people would scoff at anyway.

That said, I do happen to think he is pretty good at recommending training in general.

personate-rain