Author Topic: Joe Rogan upping his Science & Skepticism game  (Read 45887 times)

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
Re: Joe Rogan upping his Science & Skepticism game
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 01:07:09 PM »
Nice to hear, I'll have to give him another shot...
and might have to eat my words with a friend who I kinda dissed over his Wim Hof stuff.
Idk.
This all seems to be very low hanging fruit. With the Wim Hoff stuff and the Cryotherapy etc, Ive heard him promote as much bullshit as debunk it.
He has a ways to go in my mind before his sheet is balanced in terms of what he puts out in the world.

In regards to the cryotherapy, I know Steve has spoken about how research does not support its' efficacy.  However, Joe Rogan is a physical specimen.  He is in exceptional shape for his age.  I would consider him an expert on physical training and an expert on his own body.  He has years of experience working out, trying different methods of rest/recovery.  His anecdotal experience with cryotherapy is that it does help his body to recover from injuries or recover from hardy workouts.  I don't think he is lying to his listeners.  It's not like he makes money on promoting cryotherapy.  In the research used to discredit cryotherapy, what criteria is used to determine if cold is good or bad for mean recovery time?  When I heard about the research, it sounded like they were more focused on the exact temperature being used rather than to focus on whether the resulting recovery time was improved or not.
There is no shortage of people who will turn their anecdotes as a data point. Vana Hari (food babe) for one. That does not​ grant their bullshit validity any more than the millions of testimonies from Christians who believe their faith helped them.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline richm78

• Off to a Start
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 01:22:12 PM »
Where can i find the research on cryotherapy?  I'd like to see what was tested and how.  I'm curious what the criteria of the testing was.
Nvm, should have checked myself.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3956737/
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 01:25:38 PM by richm78 »

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »
Well you could try google. My recollection is that the process had not had sufficient research performed to make any claim about it.
The skeptical (and responsible) thing to do in that case is to withold recommendation pending more information.

Offline richm78

• Off to a Start
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2017, 01:55:37 PM »
Most of their tests were at -110 degrees Celsius which is -166 degrees Fahrenheit.  What I've heard is cryotherapy chambers are in the -200 or -300 degrees (Fahrenheit) range, so that's not a very accurate test of the cryotherapy temperature.  They should have been more consistent with their temperatures.  They had some at -110 down to a few -140 degree celsius.  Also many were not in whole body cryotherapy.  Why were they doing such varied tests?  Some were whole body cryotherapy and some were ice packs.  Seems like a few too many variables involved.  This is good science?

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2017, 02:08:29 PM »
I dont know. Is it?
From that information, do you think that any meaningful statement about the efficacy of cryotherapy can be made?

Offline EgeneBlankenship

• Banned
  • Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 10:09:47 PM »
ONe of his recent podcast with Michael Shermer was a bit disapointing.  HE kept interuprprintg

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2017, 12:37:29 AM »
He had the scibabe on (#984).  Just started and they're non-stop ripping into chiropracty.
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2017, 03:03:45 AM »
well, his political philosophy is still as weak as 'omg we're monkeys bro!'

it was embarrassing having to hear a former Baptist explain to him what freedom of speech is about.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline richiegusto

• Brand New
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 05:21:53 AM »
It was an interesting discussion on the moon-landing:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 05:28:11 AM by richiegusto »

Offline richiegusto

• Brand New
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 05:25:00 AM »

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2017, 04:40:31 PM »
been listening to his old ep with Michael Shermer today. it's not bad.
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline HanEyeAm

• User Not Found
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2017, 02:25:39 PM »
Just started listening to him, with his interview with one of the Phelps girls who got out of the Westboro Baptist Church.

I like him. I agree he talks over guests too much. And he sometimes goes on tangents that are not particularly intellectual or accurate. But he injects rationality into an otherwise common-man conversational approach. I hope that makes the content more approachable to the general public.

My main request to him would be to come to interviews better prepared and target 60 minutes vs. letting them drag on repetitively for up to 3 hours.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2017, 05:35:25 PM »
My main request to him would be to come to interviews better prepared and target 60 minutes vs. letting them drag on repetitively for up to 3 hours.

I'm sure if there was enough patreon support for that product he'd be happy to hire someone to put in the 4-5 additional hours it would take to do that.

Offline Redamare

• Deleted
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »
I imagine he prefers it the way he's doing it.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2017, 10:32:53 PM »
I imagine he prefers it the way he's doing it.

yeh, but if it would cost him nothing, and get him a few listeners with less free time, he might be into it.

though I don't know of anyone who has actually tried this milk model of podcasting -- would people really want the trim milk version, trusting that nothing good is cut out? would people ever bother with the full cream version if they knew the trim one probably had everything worth the bother?

personate-rain