Author Topic: Joe Rogan upping his Science & Skepticism game  (Read 45888 times)

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
Re: Joe Rogan upping his Science & Skepticism game
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2017, 10:42:53 PM »
I like the long format.  If I'm interested in the guest, I'd rather have too much than too little. 
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline HanEyeAm

• User Not Found
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2017, 11:28:30 PM »
I imagine he prefers it the way he's doing it.

yeh, but if it would cost him nothing, and get him a few listeners with less free time, he might be into it.

though I don't know of anyone who has actually tried this milk model of podcasting -- would people really want the trim milk version, trusting that nothing good is cut out? would people ever bother with the full cream version if they knew the trim one probably had everything worth the bother?

That is exactly what SGU does. Steve trims down interviews and segments for SGU and the cut material (and other stuff) is available for members-only listening.

Rogan can keep tighter tolerances for a shorter run time with no loss of flexibility or yumminess, IMO. I get that requires more time up front and probably some training on interviewing skills. If you Google a bit, the average run time is usually under an hour, with 20 minutes for a podcast being touted as a good target for adults given average attention spans (and commute times). It depends on the topic and the target audience, of course. It's a good show as it is: he'd reach more folks with a shorter run time, though, say 45 minutes (again, IMO. And I would say the same for SGU).

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2017, 11:41:17 PM »
That is exactly what SGU does. Steve trims down interviews and segments for SGU and the cut material (and other stuff) is available for members-only listening.

how good's the stuff we're missing out on?
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline HanEyeAm

• User Not Found
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2017, 08:04:06 AM »

how good's the stuff we're missing out on?
I have no idea. I'm interested in folks answer to that as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline briandunning

• Off to a Start
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2017, 12:38:55 AM »
Rogan has indeed become increasingly interested in real science, the more he's been exposed to it. It's what happens to most people, in my experience.

But it certainly hasn't happened to the majority of his audience!! I still get obscene hate tweets and emails almost every day, and I haven't been on his show for over 3 years. 90% of those who write me are 9/11 truthers, and they all believe Rogan is with them on that.

Offline Redamare

• Deleted
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2017, 05:46:53 AM »
That's interesting, but sadly not really surprising.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2017, 06:40:32 AM »
Rogan has indeed become increasingly interested in real science, the more he's been exposed to it. It's what happens to most people, in my experience.

But it certainly hasn't happened to the majority of his audience!! I still get obscene hate tweets and emails almost every day, and I haven't been on his show for over 3 years. 90% of those who write me are 9/11 truthers, and they all believe Rogan is with them on that.
Thats my feeling too. The people at work who talk about Rogan also believed in Pizzagate.

Offline HanEyeAm

• User Not Found
« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2017, 12:21:52 AM »

That stinks. How do you respond?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2017, 06:53:19 AM »
Joe Rogan thinks there is a residue when you fart through your underwear. Joe Rogan thinks Serena Williams is a horse. Joe Rogan stumbles when confronted by the VAERS database. Joe Rogan has upped his standards, up yours.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2017, 07:38:20 AM »
Joe Rogan thinks there is a residue when you fart through your underwear.

I feel like I heard about that on SGU once, but google's turning up no results
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline Redamare

• Deleted
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2017, 07:41:26 AM »

Maybe I'm not parsing your words correctly, but wouldn't there have to be? Farts are made of physical stuff, even if you can't normally see them.
"redamare has kicked this thread's ass" -champagnej

Certainty is the enemy of wisdom.

--RED-uh-MAR-ay--

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2017, 07:53:02 AM »

Maybe I'm not parsing your words correctly, but wouldn't there have to be? Farts are made of physical stuff, even if you can't normally see them.

Haha, hadn't considered the veracity. He has a quirky way of obsessing over this, extending his concern recently to the mattresses he hawks on his show.  Most of us wash our underwear but not our mattresses, so maybe I should obsess likewise.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2017, 10:35:59 AM »

Farts are dirty, man. 
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2017, 04:33:10 AM »
You guys are crazy. Farts aren't dirty, they're hilarious!

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2017, 12:17:44 PM »
I've too taken a second look at Joe Rogan. He's still got some fucky beliefs (like the JFK assassination, weird health claims) but he does seem to have some scientists and other skeptics on a does a good job of listening to them. He does seem to be pretty critical of a lot of woo and conspiracy claims, although he certainly has a few blind spots. One thing I like is he has his guests on for 2-3 hours. Like he's had Jon Ronson on twice. With 2-3 hours to fill, these guests generally run out of their "I'm here to promote x" talking points and really delve into a lot of minutiae.

I almost felt sorry for Jesse Ventura. He's another one that seems to have a lot of positions I agree with but then goes total fucktard on things like 9/11 and other conspiracy things. Ventura whines about conspiracies about him (mostly Chris Kyle claiming Ventura badmouthed the seals and he punched out Ventura) without actually understanding he's destroying the lives of others with his own conspiracy mongering bullshit. I had to laugh that he blamed the loss of his conspiracy show on Kyle's comments (probably lies). I've watched that show. It was a total bag of shit. I would imagine it got cancelled because it was a total bag of shit.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

personate-rain