Author Topic: Joe Rogan upping his Science & Skepticism game  (Read 49103 times)

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
Re: Joe Rogan upping his Science & Skepticism game
« Reply #390 on: February 07, 2019, 09:13:39 AM »
I've not listened to the episode yet but he's had Brian Cox recently on who does call out bullshit when here's it but he might not be aware of any of Joe's past BS claims.

I'd say Joe Rogan is on his best behavior with such guests. And maybe he's genuinely curious in the moment.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #391 on: February 28, 2019, 05:10:00 AM »
Just days after Alex Jones declared “war” on Joe Rogan, he was Rogan's guest today. Watching large chunks, it's clear that Rogan still picks and chooses what he wants to push back on. There were some good instances of him questioning Jones on his claims, after which Jones of course changed the subject, but there were also a few softballs that Rogan just agreed with to keep the conversation going. My favorite came about halfway through the show, when Jones asserted that the Russian Buran shuttle was “half the size” of the Nasa's because it was taken directly from Operation Paperclip scientists' plans. Shortly after, Jones asserted that Eisenhower “said no” to the original Nasa plan due to it really being a shadow-government/breakaway civilization. That topic quickly turned to inter-dimensional aliens giving the Nazis their technology which, to Rogan's credit, was immediately questioned. They were all pretty high by this point, but still. Watching Jones defend the round earth during a back-and-forth with the always insane Eddie Bravo was entertaining at least.

Grab a 6er and prepare to get dumb...

"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Offline Bill K

• Well Established
  • In fear & loathing.
« Reply #392 on: March 04, 2019, 06:44:49 AM »
Him having that motherfucker on leaves me with no respect at all for Joe Rogan.
[insert witty signature here (have I?)]

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #393 on: March 07, 2019, 02:48:50 PM »
Dan Friesen on the Knowledge Fight podcast offers some important insights into Alex Jones'recent appearance on The Joe Rogan Experience.

http://knowledgefight.libsyn.com/knowledge-fight-the-rogan-return

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #394 on: March 07, 2019, 03:17:10 PM »
Dan Friesen on the Knowledge Fight podcast offers some important insights into Alex Jones'recent appearance on The Joe Rogan Experience.

Will definitely give that a listen!
I dont think Joe is stupid though, just unethical and greedy.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #395 on: March 07, 2019, 03:24:57 PM »

Have you ever actually listened to him? He's pretty stupid too.

He does have a well-honed performative shtick, and is good at off-the-dome improvisation within a very narrow range of subject matter. But that's not to be confused with having actual knowledge or critical thinking skills.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #396 on: March 07, 2019, 03:27:33 PM »

Yeah, after all the bombastic threats and insults Alex hurled at him, Rogan invites him back on the show, holds him to zero accountability, and just gives him free reign over the conversation?

Pathetic.

Offline Beef Wellington

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #397 on: March 07, 2019, 04:28:02 PM »

Yeah, after all the bombastic threats and insults Alex hurled at him, Rogan invites him back on the show, holds him to zero accountability, and just gives him free reign over the conversation?

Pathetic.

Not to start a conspiracy or anything (wink) but it's possible Jones has something on Rogan. He declared an all out "war" on Rogan 3 weeks ago, then within days they're best friends again? They said at the beginning of the episode that they talked on the phone for a cpl hours while Rogan was driving Las Vegas, and we all know about what happens in Vegas... :P

Seriously though, in the past when Jones was at "war" with friends it was usually about money. Mark Dice and Mike Adams come to mind. As far as I know, nether Jones nor Rogan cross-promote any products, but I'm sure Rogan's main reason for letting Jones run his mouth so much here as for ratings/views. The YouTube video had over a million views within a few hours of being posted, I'm willing to bet they both saw that coming. It's almost as if they want to reach the dumbest audience possible, just look at the comments. I've lost my train of thought it seems, must be the chemtrails. Or the fluoride. Or the Nazi alien beams, or hell it's all of them!!!1!
"Computers don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose" - Dale Gribble

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #398 on: March 07, 2019, 04:42:42 PM »

He does have a well-honed performative shtick, and is good at off-the-dome improvisation within a very narrow range of subject matter. But that's not to be confused with having actual knowledge or critical thinking skills.
Oh i agree completely! About his lack of critical thinking and knowledge.

I just happen to think he is also dishonest at times when he knows something is bullshit but allows it air because it will give him ratings, promote his brand and keep his audience happy.

The number of hate views, views for debunking purposes and views for car crash value probably comes in higher than most youtubers ever see.
Add in the folks who genuinely enjoyed it and Im pretty sure Rogan is laughing about the whole thing.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #399 on: March 09, 2019, 12:30:10 AM »
Now that Jones is off YouTube, Twitter and other social media, yet still facing expensive lawsuits, there's evidence he's scrambling for cash in every way he can. Shortly after Roger Stone got arrested by the FBI, Alex announced that he's cut Stone off the Infowars payroll because Stone no longer gives "exclusive access" to to Infowars for news about his case. Alex also stopped soliciting donations for the "Roger Stone Defense Fund," saying he's got bills of his own to pay. He's announced deep discounts on all his dietary supplements, which would appear to indicate he's trying to clear out the warehouse. He even said in that conversation with Joe Rogan that he's thought about getting out of the business.

While it may be possible that Alex Jones "has something" on Joe Rogan, it seems more plausible to me that Alex is just a manipulative narcissist and Joe is a good-hearted but rather gullible stoner who genuinely feels that Alex is his friend. Some people have suggested that Joe and Alex cooked up this whole "feud" as a gambit to boost their ratings, but it really doesn't seem that Joe Rogan would have much to gain by it. Rogan is already the king of podcasting with over 4 million subscribers, whereas Alex's numbers have taken a huge hit from the Sandy Hook lawsuits and social media bans, and he's clearly in financial trouble.

This is not the first time Alex Jones has taken shots at Joe Rogan. Back in June 2018, Alex called Rogan a "pawn of the globalists" because Rogan had voiced some honest criticism about Alex's slander of the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting. Since the lawsuits, Alex has taken to sternly denying that he'd ever said Sandy Hook didn't happen or accused the victim families of lying about it. Which is of course a lie.

Then in early February 2019, Rogan had Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey on his show, which seems to be the match that lit Alex's fuse. Joe questioned Dorsey about the reason for Alex's ban, noting that Alex had pitched his abhorrent Sandy Hook narrative on his show but not on Twitter. Dorsey claimed he didn't know the exact details of why Alex was kicked off of Twitter, but it was partially a "domino effect" thing where stuff Alex had said onhis show and other media had spilled over into Twitter.

Dan Friesen of Knowledge Fight has been following Alex Jones for years, and his expert opinion seems quite plausible. Friesen has hinted that Alex's rant against Rogan was to some degree performative, but it probably came from a place of genuine anger and desperation. He said he thinks Alex took his reaction so over the top because he knew that it would get results. Joe, being for the most part a congenial sort of guy, would want to clear the air by offering Alex an opportunity for a dedicated episode of the Joe Rogan Experience. And of course Joe, being the credulous guy that he is, fell for it hook, line and sinker.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #400 on: March 09, 2019, 07:44:48 AM »
Would guess Rogan wants more numbers even if Alex' appearance has nothing to do with that. Ellen DeGeneres, as one example, has 31.2 million YouTube subscribers and 15 billion views doing what she does. (she's been at it a lot longer, though) I had never heard of Rogan until skeptics starting talking about him. Thanks not a lot! Rogan is nowhere near the top 100 YouTube channels by subscriber count, #100 having 18 million subs. This is comparing apples to oranges, though, in a realm where a single music video, Gangnam Style, has 3 times the view count as Rogan's entire oeuvre on YouTube.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #401 on: March 09, 2019, 08:35:22 AM »
Rogans podcast has over 3 million subscribers in addition to his youtube numbers.
It may not seem great when put next to viral sensations or establishment backed channels but that is not insignificant. He is prominent enough that his conversations and guests are covered by the media and I regularly hear idiots irl saying  "Joe Rogan says...."
Im envious that you went so long without hearing of him but he is definitely an influential promoter (and seller) of woo and bad ideas who stays in the good graces of science fans by occasionally fanboying out over some non controversial science with the likes of NDT.

Far from being a net good, he is giving voice to the likes of Jones who really should not be getting airtime from anyone ever.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #402 on: March 09, 2019, 09:18:16 AM »
The likes of Jones, as well as Milo and Sargon and so forth, as well as our greatest living philosopher, whose name you can probably guess -- Joe gooses them all.

Online John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #403 on: March 09, 2019, 05:19:22 PM »

Oh i agree completely! About his lack of critical thinking and knowledge.

I just happen to think he is also dishonest at times when he knows something is bullshit but allows it air because it will give him ratings, promote his brand and keep his audience happy.

The number of hate views, views for debunking purposes and views for car crash value probably comes in higher than most youtubers ever see.
Add in the folks who genuinely enjoyed it and Im pretty sure Rogan is laughing about the whole thing.

OMG Harry, I just reread this exchange and realized I'd originally misread your post to mean you thought Alex Jones was not stupid. Boy am I embarrassed. You'd written it right there as plain as day, and I still got it wrong. Please accept my apologies.

My accusation of stupidity and criticisms about performance, improvisation and subject matter were intended as a critique against Alex, not Joe. And I'm sure we both agree that Alex Jones is a bombastic, narcissistic, lazy-minded buffoon with a preternatural talent for rabble rousing.

As for Joe Rogan, he obviously has an enormous curiosity, the capacity to memorize a lot of information, and a decent intuition for logic.

But he also seems caught up in the classic stoner misconception that smoking weed and taking psychedelics expands the human mind without the need for mental rigor. So because his thinking tends to be undisciplined and impressionable, much of what he thinks he "knows" is actually false information.

As a consequence, Joe Rogan has built a career along the well-traveled path of for-profit pseudoeducational outlets on TV and the Internet, which pander to the credulous by blurring the lines between pseudoscience and legit science. Whether by editorial policy or mutual courtesy, Joe seldom pushes back very hard against his guests' outrageous claims, and he seems to eschew guests who would refute his own. And so The Joe Rogan Experience presents the audience a safe space for uncritical discussion of the sensationalistic and far-fetched.

By this point, Joe seems pretty much locked in to that mindset by dint of a career obliging lip service to popular pseudoscience. Who knows what would happen to his popularity if he started practicing real skepticism?

But I don't think Joe Rogan is stupid, per se.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 07:32:37 PM by John Albert »

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #404 on: March 09, 2019, 05:41:17 PM »
No apology necessary!
But yes, Alex is a fucking idiot :laugh:

Sorry for the crossed wires!

personate-rain