Author Topic: Joe Rogan upping his Science & Skepticism game  (Read 31627 times)

Offline Nosmas

• Keeps Priorities Straight
Re: Joe Rogan upping his Science & Skepticism game
« Reply #210 on: June 12, 2018, 06:19:17 PM »
I'm not giving him a pass. I've said he has stupid beliefs and promotes some BS. I tell as much to anyone I know who starts listening to him. What do you consider giving him a pass? Does listening to some of his podcasts constitute a pass?
I interpret saying "It's okay that he has some stupid beliefs and promotes BS, because I like him for other reasons" as giving him a pass.

Is that what you think I'm saying? I think I've clearly stated that it's not ok that he believes or promotes some of what he does. If you're going to quote me use a direct one because that seems dishonest. It just sounds like what you mean to say is yes to the question in bold that I asked John. If so then just say that. As Harry said it's hard to enjoy much if you set the bar for entrainment consumption to requiring people with a good skeptical mind.

I'm back to getting the sense that what's being suggested but not yet outright said is that even though I get many things out of his podcast I should boycott it anyway because he believes and promotes woo. The level of harm I feel he causes isn't strong enough for me to discard what I get from his content from time to time. I'm going to keep watching movies with Tom Cruise, Gwyneth Paltrow and Oprah in them too if they look interesting or entertaining enough.

I'm not beyond doing away with media consumption I enjoy in protest of someone's actions (the me too movement has made that clear to me) but it's not enough for me here.
Providing yesterday's solutions to today's problems, tomorrow!

Offline GodSlayer

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #211 on: June 13, 2018, 11:46:56 AM »
(most people would at least know Marc Maron for having won the podcast awards numerous times, or for having had Barack Obama on his podcast ... I can't think of a second podcaster/random person who has that to their credit)
The Obama interview was pretty softball and to me not very compelling. It would be fun however for Marc to interview and eviscerate Trump on his podcast. That would make for great sport.

I can't imagine Trump ever feeling compelled to stick around in that kind of situation (even if it was a court hearing he'd probably try to blow off the judge and roll his eyes at the guards.
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline GodSlayer

« Reply #212 on: June 13, 2018, 11:48:12 AM »
Its like when people find out I dont like rugby and say
"Well its better than soccer!"

Um..ok? I probably agree? But its not an either or. I can dislike both and what you dislike more than it is not....anything but information I never asked for.

you don't like dogs? but cats are stupid!  ;D
Quote from: Thomas Carlyle
In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Seasoned Contributor
« Reply #213 on: June 13, 2018, 11:53:22 AM »
I can't imagine Trump ever feeling compelled to stick around in that kind of situation (even if it was a court hearing he'd probably try to blow off the judge and roll his eyes at the guards.
I'm sure that's true. But I loved the way Marc told his audience that if they were voting for Trump they could go fuck themselves. I haven't heard him in a long while, maybe I'll give Maron another listen. What-the-fuck-nik, what-the-fuck-er-roo.

Online mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #214 on: June 14, 2018, 08:58:54 AM »
A recent one Rogan was voicing his acceptance of the evidence for climate change. Again, there are a lot of people in his audience, I think, that think climate change is a hoax. I enjoy when Rogan brings these kinds of opinions to that audience.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2018, 09:00:21 AM »
My version of Joe Rogan is Adam Corolla.  He's occasionally surprisingly skeptical but not usually and he's wrong about a lot but I do find him entertaining. 

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2018, 12:07:18 PM »
... there are a lot of people in his audience [...] I enjoy when Rogan brings these kinds of opinions to that audience.

This is what stands out to me.

I didn't expect anyone to take 'skeptic' group-identity seriously.  I did expect them to be concerned with elevating our cultural baseline. 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: June 14, 2018, 01:53:51 PM »
... there are a lot of people in his audience [...] I enjoy when Rogan brings these kinds of opinions to that audience.

This is what stands out to me.

I didn't expect anyone to take 'skeptic' group-identity seriously.  I did expect them to be concerned with elevating our cultural baseline.
But as has been pointed out- Rogan is barely better than a broken clock in this regard.
Why does he have to relate to skepticism at all? Why cant people who like him, like him without claiming that he is somehow socially beneficial?
Because he isnt.

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #218 on: June 14, 2018, 01:55:44 PM »
To be frank, John Albert straight up lied about Rogan claiming Bigfoot most likely exists and you believed him.  How seriously should I take you guys? 
Every soup ladled to the hungry, every blanket draped over the cold signifies, in the final sense, a theft from my gigantic paycheck.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #219 on: June 14, 2018, 02:05:48 PM »
To be frank, John Albert straight up lied about Rogan claiming Bigfoot most likely exists and you believed him.  How seriously should I take you guys?
I did take him at his word.
And then I checked it and said I was wrong. It happens.

If that makes you disregard my opinion then cool but it says more about what you seem to want to believe I think.

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #220 on: June 14, 2018, 02:10:08 PM »
Consider this asymmetry: You are emotionally invested in Joe Rogan.

Edit: I just think you guys are being idiots about celebrity gossip, of all things.

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: June 14, 2018, 02:12:34 PM »
Consider this asymmetry: You are emotionally invested in Joe Rogan.
Am I?
I enjoy his fight work.
I used to enjoy his comedy.
I dont particularly like his work any more but think its fine that others do.

I just dont want new people to the skeptical community coming along and seeing a bunch of us raise up a woo peddler without critique.
Oprah believes in global warming too but I certainly wouldnt say she is good for skepticism.

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #222 on: June 14, 2018, 02:29:35 PM »
If the, "critique," were accurate and reasonable then I wouldn't think you guys were being idiots over celebrity gossip, of all things.

And that's what I'm reacting to. 

This is my second post in the thread --
Joe Rogan is my favorite meathead psychonaut and professional conversationalist.
-- how emotionally invested in my view of Joe Rogan do you think I am? 

Offline Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #223 on: June 14, 2018, 02:39:49 PM »
Dude, this isnt reddit. We dont need to bring out evidence for who cares the least.
I have made statements backed up by reasoning as to why I think he isnt a good skeptical messenger.
You retorted by pointing out a time I was wrong about something as if it were some sort of checkmate to my position.
Maybe you do think thats a good and valid argument?

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #224 on: June 14, 2018, 02:46:33 PM »
Isn't that the kind of reasoning which 'skepticism' opposes the existence of?

personate-rain