Author Topic: All things Gary Gygax  (Read 4125 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: All things Gary Gygax
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 10:23:49 PM »
Did they bring back the Assassin class and demons and devils? Nothing burned me up more than TSR getting rid of demons and devils in 2nd edition.
As others have said, that was a response to the Satanic Panic of the mid- to late-80s, and was corrected in the 3rd edition of the game which was published in 2000. I think most of us agree that the removal of demons and devils in 2nd edition was an error and that it was good that the problem was rectified quickly.
Self-described nerd

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2017, 12:01:36 AM »
I tbink you mean Tanarri and Bazeettu
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »
Wizards revealed the next campaign, over the weekend. Apparently it's set on some lost island, and there are T-rexes. And also zombie t-rexes. Who vomit out more zombies. With Tesseract the uber-lich-lord being the final boss.
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/tomb-annihilation

And also another cool book:
http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop-games/rpg-products/xanathars-guide-everything
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2017, 04:38:58 PM »
There's also a redux book called Tales from the Yawning Portal which contains classics like Sunless Citadel and Tomb of Horrors for you old-school fans.

I am one of the moderators of Reddit.com/r/DnDNext (Next was the playtest name for 5th Ed) and recommend our sidebar resources and discussion for anyone interested in learning about the newest versions.

If you use Roll20, there's a free beginner adventure that's decent and serves as a good intro to the platform for everyone. My group spent about 5 hours and got through half-ish? An hour or more was me fucking with the roll20 interface and trying to remember what the tutorial said.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 04:41:06 PM by SkeptiQueer »
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline SkepticalEsquire

• Well Established
  • Cthulhu is Love
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2017, 05:50:36 PM »
There's also a redux book called Tales from the Yawning Portal which contains classics like Sunless Citadel and Tomb of Horrors for you old-school fans.

I am one of the moderators of Reddit.com/r/DnDNext (Next was the playtest name for 5th Ed) and recommend our sidebar resources and discussion for anyone interested in learning about the newest versions.

If you use Roll20, there's a free beginner adventure that's decent and serves as a good intro to the platform for everyone. My group spent about 5 hours and got through half-ish? An hour or more was me fucking with the roll20 interface and trying to remember what the tutorial said.

Will check out the Reddit.  What's your overall impression of Roll20? Useful or would it be just as easy to play a Skype game and leave the visuals to the imagination of the players (and trust they don't cheat on their dice rolls)?
Canada -Land of shitty music and bears.

Offline SkeptiQueer

• Too Much Spare Time
  • DEEZ NUTZ
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2017, 05:58:37 PM »

Will check out the Reddit.  What's your overall impression of Roll20? Useful or would it be just as easy to play a Skype game and leave the visuals to the imagination of the players (and trust they don't cheat on their dice rolls)?
Once I got the hang of using the maps and tokens, fantastic. If your players are artsy, they can create their own tokens (2D minis), you can purchase the official campaign books that have been converted to Roll20 by WOTC, write notes for props, direct whisper, roll dice, and if you can code java you can write macros for houserules or Homebrew stuff as well.

Better than Skype for a lot of stuff, but if you don't rely on board and minis, Skype would be fine.
HIISSSSSSSS

Offline SkepticalEsquire

• Well Established
  • Cthulhu is Love
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2017, 12:26:21 PM »
kinda sounds like we need to setup a game.
Roll20? I'd be in on that.

Anyone interested in setting up a game, say a couple times a month?

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2017, 01:24:46 PM »
I'm in - I'd really like to do Storm Kings Thunder.  I could DM it.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2017, 01:38:34 PM »
depends on the day of the week and time. but yes.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2017, 01:54:21 PM »
I really want to say "Yes", but I already have 3 campaigns running (2 weekly, 1 monthly), and one of them is Storm King's Thunder. So… maybe? If you're lacking players? And only as a player, because I run 2 of those campaigns as DM already.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2017, 01:36:03 AM »
I'm in - I'd really like to do Storm Kings Thunder.  I could DM it.

I'm definitely in, but time zones are very much a bitch. That said, I'm almost always available for several hours on American Friday and Saturday nights (which are Australian Saturday and Sunday mornings). I already have a character. Heck, I have dozens. All I need to do is decide which one I want to use :D

Full disclosure: I own Storm King's Thunder and have skim-read a few sections of it, but not in depth and by no means the whole thing. I guarantee that it'll stay on my shelf for the duration.
Self-described nerd

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2017, 06:25:42 AM »
It makes no never mind if you have the module.  I  typically improv heavily when I DM.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2017, 07:05:38 PM »
It makes no never mind if you have the module.  I  typically improv heavily when I DM.
That works for me. PM me the details when you get set up. :) I may even be able to rustle up some more players if you come up short.
Self-described nerd

Offline SkepticalEsquire

• Well Established
  • Cthulhu is Love
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2017, 10:19:08 AM »
That works for me. PM me the details when you get set up. :) I may even be able to rustle up some more players if you come up short.

Ditto.  I am on Mountain Time and generally available for Friday / Sat nights. Still working my way through 5th Ed rules so patience might be the watch word, for the first session or so. Would be good it we could get something set up, even just a couple times a month.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2017, 10:26:52 AM »
I will ask SQ if we can use his Roll20 setup.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

personate-rain