Author Topic: Twitter Your Medical Maladies  (Read 6581 times)

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
Re: Twitter Your Medical Maladies
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 09:09:46 AM »
I have an arrhythmia which is triggered by high levels of caffeine.  I also tend to drink way too much soda, as I'm not a coffee fan.  My plan is to cut out caffeine entirely, then when I've not got the additional struggle of a caffeine dependency, cut out sugary drinks.  Once I'm clean, I won't worry about incidental caffeine or the occasional treat.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 10:10:41 AM »
My celiac symptoms are becoming more pronounced.

Im still not at the stage that nosey dickheads assure me are the real symptoms of celiac disease though.
Because, y'know, they have this one aunt and its AWFUL and you would definitely KNOW if you had it.

Offline lonely moa

• A rather tough old bird.
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 03:38:19 PM »

I also have BPPV, benign paroxysmal postural vertigo. The first occurrence was terrible, and it also flares up on occasion. Basically it is getting the super spins because the Eustachian tubes in your ears are compromised.....allergies, ear wax, there are many theories but it is benign if not occasionally vomitous.

I had not heard of BPPV, I thought I had a brain tumour.  The GP reassured me that if I had a brain tumour, that would be one of the end symptoms.  I got a brochure on self treatment and it seems to have worked a treat.  My beautiful wife has her's reoccur and has to repeat the procedure (for a fortnight each time) to remedy the situation. 
"Pull the goalie", Malcolm Gladwell.

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 09:12:41 PM »
Have had sinus issues all my life (3 surgeries) and still somewhat recovering from the last one.
Broke my collarbone last year and it didn't heal properly so I have a strange bone protrusion and sometimes it hurts.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 08:27:15 PM »
One week caffeine-free, and no longer in withdrawal. Sleep patterns have not returned to normal, yet.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2017, 01:11:31 AM »
One week caffeine-free, and no longer in withdrawal. Sleep patterns have not returned to normal, yet.

Might not be the caffeine.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2017, 01:16:05 AM »
I cut a wee disc of skin (about 2 mm deep) off the top knuckle on my left hand middle finger last week, dressing out a lamb.  It didn't  get infected and has granulated in rather well but still doesn't like to be bumped.  I knew I should have knocked off when the light went south.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2017, 10:17:48 AM »
Iliotibial band syndrome, guh.  Sometimes my hips hurt like a real sumbitch.  It can be painful to lie on my side in bed.  And sometimes I can feel the ache all the way down the outside of my thighs to my knees.

Sounds horrible, but you can do something about it yourself to relieve the symptoms.

I can, and I do.

I like my hard foam roller for all things leg.

Oh yes indeed, that is one very helpful gadget.  Love mine for hips and back.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2017, 11:19:14 AM »
Iliotibial band syndrome, guh.  Sometimes my hips hurt like a real sumbitch.  It can be painful to lie on my side in bed.  And sometimes I can feel the ache all the way down the outside of my thighs to my knees.

Sounds horrible, but you can do something about it yourself to relieve the symptoms.

I can, and I do.

I like my hard foam roller for all things leg.

Oh yes indeed, that is one very helpful gadget.  Love mine for hips and back.

we would love your hips and back as well.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online Ah.hell

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2017, 11:25:46 AM »
Chronic low level pain in my shoulder and elbow from a bike accident about 5 years ago.

My nose is constantly itchy, plugged up and with occasional nose bleeds due to the dryness in my new home.  Worse than the chronic pain. 

I've had high blood pressure since I was 16. 

Hated using that foam roller for my IT band, among the worst pain I've experienced using that thing.

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2017, 01:06:42 PM »
Hated using that foam roller for my IT band, among the worst pain I've experienced using that thing.

Hurts so good, baby.  I also deploy a hard rubber ball with knobbly protrusions all over it. 
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2017, 01:32:01 PM »

Hurts so good, baby.  I also deploy a hard rubber ball with knobbly protrusions all over it.

I have a baseball. major league hard ball. no little knobbly bits here.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline lonely moa

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »

A pair of lacrosse balls tied in a sock. 

Offline The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »

Might not be the caffeine.

No, it's stopping the caffeine. I've done it several times before, and it always messes with my sleep.  Takes a couple of weeks to get back to normal.

Offline daniel1948

• Hasn't
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Cat Lovers Against the Bomb
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2017, 07:47:30 PM »
Why would one give up coffee?

I had to give it up because it triggers my heart arrhythmia.

My present medical malady is high blood pressure. I feel it mostly in two ways: a feeling like there's a balloon inflating inside my head, and as a slight disorientation or moderate sense of confusion. Extremely scary. It's mostly under control with my present meds. Hydrochlorothiazide and amlodipine. But occasionally it spikes. And I need to keep my sodium intake below 2 gm/day, which is really hard because everything has salt in it. Fortunately, exercise helps.
Daniel
----------------
"Anyone who has ever looked into the glazed eyes of a soldier dying on the battlefield will think long and hard before starting a war."
-- Otto von Bismarck

personate-rain
personate-rain