Author Topic: Navy News items  (Read 14286 times)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: Navy News items
« Reply #240 on: January 17, 2019, 02:16:46 PM »

This guy was in my paper's obituary today.  No way the USN would've allowed such an UNSAT uniform presentation when I was in.  This is the equivalent of wearing your pants down below your underwear.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #241 on: January 30, 2019, 11:53:31 AM »
Last podcast Dr. N. used the term "scuttle". I think he said something like "The weather scuttled my plans". Now my understanding is, as a verb, scuttle means to purposely sink your own ship. Usually, say, to deny it to the enemy. To scuttle is to do something to yourself, sink yourself. Anyone else bothered when people use it to mean when someone else "sinks" your plans?
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #242 on: January 30, 2019, 12:09:58 PM »
Last podcast Dr. N. used the term "scuttle". I think he said something like "The weather scuttled my plans". Now my understanding is, as a verb, scuttle means to purposely sink your own ship. Usually, say, to deny it to the enemy. To scuttle is to do something to yourself, sink yourself. Anyone else bothered when people use it to mean when someone else "sinks" your plans?

Isn't it used in terms of "to take a ship out of action?" If so, then that's an ok analogy.

There's this definition of scuttle: "deliberately causing a scheme to fail" but unless  :steve: believes some weather god is intentionally sidelining him, that wouldn't apply.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #243 on: January 30, 2019, 12:17:26 PM »
The weather scuttling plans is common usage. Common usage trumps dictionaries and grammarians.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #244 on: January 30, 2019, 12:26:46 PM »
The weather scuttling plans is common usage. Common usage trumps dictionaries and grammarians.
This. A coal scuttle can be used for hauling ashes to be thrown away.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #245 on: January 30, 2019, 02:54:24 PM »
I don't have a problem with it being used like that.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #246 on: January 30, 2019, 03:36:43 PM »
What did they call those standardized instructions for each watchstation that were in sort of aluminum notebooks permanently mounted to a post or something with laminated directions for 10 or so different occasions?

I remember the last one was for scuttling and it involved permanently disabling equipment and throwing any documents in the bilge and spraying water and oil on them... almost sounded like fun.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #247 on: January 30, 2019, 04:54:34 PM »
What did they call those standardized instructions for each watchstation that were in sort of aluminum notebooks permanently mounted to a post or something with laminated directions for 10 or so different occasions?

I remember the last one was for scuttling and it involved permanently disabling equipment and throwing any documents in the bilge and spraying water and oil on them... almost sounded like fun.
When in danger, or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout.

May vary by country.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #248 on: January 30, 2019, 04:54:46 PM »

All I remember of that is that we were suppose to take a fire axe to the reactor controls. 

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #249 on: January 30, 2019, 05:13:06 PM »
I would take an axe to the flexible coupling on the seawater intake. True, it's only a 42 inch pipe, but that would do for most cases.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #250 on: January 30, 2019, 06:24:15 PM »

All I remember of that is that we were suppose to take a fire axe to the reactor controls.

That would be so fun to do.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2019, 05:14:17 PM »
Chilling Pro Publica article on the collision of USS Fitzgerald

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/uss-fitzgerald-destroyer-crash-crystal/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 05:18:12 PM by Desert Fox »
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2019, 06:15:51 PM »
Chilling Pro Publica article on the collision of USS Fitzgerald

https://features.propublica.org/navy-accidents/uss-fitzgerald-destroyer-crash-crystal/

Not the Edmond Fitzgerald? No song?
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »
ALAMEDA — More than three-quarters of a century after enemy torpedoes sent it below the waves, the USS Hornet has been found resting on the Pacific Ocean floor near the Solomon Islands.

I invite you to use whatever news source you support to read up on the discovery - but wow.

As a sailor assigned to a search-and-rescue team, Nowatzki was among the last to scurry off the stricken vessel after it was hit and began listing to starboard.

“I went back to the fantail, got a lifejacket and went down a rope,” Nowatzki said.

He swam against the wind: It would push the ship away from him, Nowatzki reasoned, and prevent him from getting pulled under when the 770-foot long carrier slipped below the waves.

Repercussions of Japanese bombs finishing off the Hornet cut through the water. For Nowatzki, then a 19-year-old sailor from Chicago, the blow was like something a boxer would endure in the ring.

“It felt like a vice crushing our side,” Nowatzki said. “It didn’t last long. But, boy, it was excruciating.”

Nowatzki reached a crowded lifeboat and clung to the side until the destroyer USS Barton picked him up.

The Petrel found the Hornet nearly 17,500 feet below the surface in January. The discovery was not announced, however, until Tuesday.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #254 on: February 13, 2019, 05:52:57 AM »
Hearing that news severally. Well done, Petrel!

personate-rain
personate-rain