Author Topic: Navy News items  (Read 15271 times)

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Navy News items
« Reply #255 on: February 22, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »
I found this in a link from another article

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-military-insight/despite-putins-swagger-russia-struggles-to-modernize-its-navy-idUSKCN1QA0U7
The unfinished husks of three guided-missile frigates that have languished for three years at a Baltic shipyard show that is easier said than done.

Earmarked for Russia’s Black Sea Fleet, the frigates fell victim to sanctions imposed by Ukraine in 2014 after Russia annexed the Crimean peninsula, prompting Kiev to ban the sale of the Ukrainian-made engines needed to propel them.

With Moscow unable to quickly build replacement engines for the Admiral Grigorovich-class frigates, construction stopped. Russia is now cutting its losses and selling the three ships to India without engines.

The navy’s problems stem largely, but not exclusively, from the Ukrainian sanctions. There are also problems, for different reasons, with new equipment for the army and air force.

I have long assume that anything projected with respect to the Russian navy may or may not have any resemblance to reality. When I was on another forum, I used to argue that when I see a ship commission or recommission, I will believe it.  It looks like my arguments continue to hold. Now, I don't understand why in the course of a few years they cannot redevelop indigenous gas turbine manufacturing because they have the ability to manufacture aircraft engines. Only thing I can figure is the economy is incredibly ramshackle. 

I just played a little game as well, I looked up the Admiral Nakhimov on Wiki. The article states that it is projected to return to the fleet in 2021 or 2022. I then went back on the history on Wiki and it 2014, it was projected to return to the fleet in 2018. If the ship ever enters service again, I will be shocked. Not impossible, but I say very unlikely.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
Re: Navy News items
« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2019, 03:41:13 AM »
The cost of the rescue operations so far is at least 640 million NOK, 73.8 million USD, according to the Defense Minister, so that's a low end estimate on two accounts.

The cost of building and stocking the ship being 4.3 billion NOK. It was valued at 1.8 billion NOK at the time of sinking.

And now starts the process of looking into repairing it. I don't know how cheaply you can do that, or if there's a significant difference in cost to getting it functional and to making it as good as it was. But I wouldn't be surprised if the total cost of rescue and repair ended up as more than 1.8 billion.

I'm wondering what the cost of only cleaning the site would've been. Maybe they had to remove it (in this way) anyway, unless it could've been sealed up or buried somehow.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:08:17 AM by 2397 »