Author Topic: Navy News items  (Read 18010 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Navy News items
« Reply #255 on: February 22, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »
I found this in a link from another article

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-military-insight/despite-putins-swagger-russia-struggles-to-modernize-its-navy-idUSKCN1QA0U7
The unfinished husks of three guided-missile frigates that have languished for three years at a Baltic shipyard show that is easier said than done.

Earmarked for Russia’s Black Sea Fleet, the frigates fell victim to sanctions imposed by Ukraine in 2014 after Russia annexed the Crimean peninsula, prompting Kiev to ban the sale of the Ukrainian-made engines needed to propel them.

With Moscow unable to quickly build replacement engines for the Admiral Grigorovich-class frigates, construction stopped. Russia is now cutting its losses and selling the three ships to India without engines.

The navy’s problems stem largely, but not exclusively, from the Ukrainian sanctions. There are also problems, for different reasons, with new equipment for the army and air force.

I have long assume that anything projected with respect to the Russian navy may or may not have any resemblance to reality. When I was on another forum, I used to argue that when I see a ship commission or recommission, I will believe it.  It looks like my arguments continue to hold. Now, I don't understand why in the course of a few years they cannot redevelop indigenous gas turbine manufacturing because they have the ability to manufacture aircraft engines. Only thing I can figure is the economy is incredibly ramshackle. 

I just played a little game as well, I looked up the Admiral Nakhimov on Wiki. The article states that it is projected to return to the fleet in 2021 or 2022. I then went back on the history on Wiki and it 2014, it was projected to return to the fleet in 2018. If the ship ever enters service again, I will be shocked. Not impossible, but I say very unlikely.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2019, 03:41:13 AM »
The cost of the rescue operations so far is at least 640 million NOK, 73.8 million USD, according to the Defense Minister, so that's a low end estimate on two accounts.

The cost of building and stocking the ship being 4.3 billion NOK. It was valued at 1.8 billion NOK at the time of sinking.

And now starts the process of looking into repairing it. I don't know how cheaply you can do that, or if there's a significant difference in cost to getting it functional and to making it as good as it was. But I wouldn't be surprised if the total cost of rescue and repair ended up as more than 1.8 billion.

I'm wondering what the cost of only cleaning the site would've been. Maybe they had to remove it (in this way) anyway, unless it could've been sealed up or buried somehow.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 08:08:17 AM by 2397 »

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #258 on: May 05, 2019, 09:21:33 AM »
I didn't know where to post this so I thought this was as good as any.
Fresh Air with Terry Gross did a podcast/ interview called "How the Navy Failed it's Sailors" I thought it was good. I thought I would ask the question here as folks on this thread might know the navy much better then I. Is the Navy that understaffed or untrained? Is this just one person's opinion or reality.
I would post the podcast but everyone here has there own podcast app and should be able to find ithe with a Google search.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #259 on: May 05, 2019, 10:06:47 AM »
USCGC Eagle arrives in Oslo, Norway, in the next 24 hours, if she's not already there.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #260 on: May 05, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »
I didn't know where to post this so I thought this was as good as any.
Fresh Air with Terry Gross did a podcast/ interview called "How the Navy Failed it's Sailors"

The fleet was short of sailors, and those it had were often poorly trained and worked to exhaustion.
He compiled data showing that the unrelenting demands on his ships and sailors were unsustainable.

I can confirm that part.  Fatigue is a huge issue.
Amend and resubmit.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #261 on: May 06, 2019, 07:50:43 AM »
Why is it so hard to get people to join the Navy? I am not aware about recruitment issues with other branches of the military.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #262 on: May 06, 2019, 07:52:08 AM »
Why is it so hard to get people to join the Navy? I am not aware about recruitment issues with other branches of the military.
You mean currently? Probably because of the weak wifi on warships at sea.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #263 on: May 06, 2019, 07:57:27 AM »
You mean currently? Probably because of the weak wifi on warships at sea.

Just from the fresh air podcast on the Navy. It seems that the Navy has personal issue in recruitment.

With WiFi, the Navy should have a satellite system that would work. Well now that I think of it WiFi might be a security issue when at sea. I'm just guessing I'm not a navy guy.
Douglas Adams

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #264 on: May 06, 2019, 08:03:36 AM »
I spent literally decades digitizing documents for the Naval History and Heritage Command. I could PDF an 800 page document in less than two hours. Then I'd spend a week or two converting it to HTML. The Navy wanted documents that could be downloaded with minimal bandwidth usage. Traffic to ships at sea is still limited, with "essential communications" coming first, of course.

Having said that I'm not current on the situation, I retired three years ago.

Offline 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #265 on: May 13, 2019, 12:06:35 PM »
The cost of building and stocking the ship being 4.3 billion NOK. It was valued at 1.8 billion NOK at the time of sinking.

And now they're saying it would cost 12 billion NOK to fix it. Not sure how, partially because the article is behind a paywall.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #266 on: July 08, 2019, 03:17:38 AM »
Meant to post this a while back - About what happened in the 2016 military standoff with Iran
Recommend reading the whole article.

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-keeps-talking-about-last-military-standoff-iran-what-really-happened-farsi-island-navy
In 2016, 10 sailors were captured by Iran. Trump is making it a political issue. Our investigation shows that it was a Navy failure, and the problems run deep.

Just before sunset on Jan. 12, 2016, 10 American sailors strayed into Iranian territorial waters in the Persian Gulf, a navigation error with potentially grave consequences. On their way to a spying mission, the Americans had set sail from Kuwait to Bahrain. It was a long-distance trek that some senior commanders in the Navy’s 5th Fleet had warned they were neither equipped nor trained to execute.

Surrounded by four boats operated by Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps, the U.S. sailors, in two small gunboats, surrendered rather than opening fire. The officer in charge of the mission later said he understood that had a firefight erupted, it could well have provoked a wider conflict and scuttled the controversial nuclear deal the two countries were poised to implement in mere days.

The Navy dialed up an elaborate rescue mission to free the sailors from tiny Farsi Island involving fighter jets and a U.S. aircraft carrier strike group. But the return of the sailors was ultimately secured peacefully. The nuclear deal went forward with the U.S. providing sanctions relief and unfreezing billions in Iranian assets in exchange for Tehran’s promise to curb its nuclear ambitions.

President Donald Trump explicitly invoked the 2016 incident last week as he weighed actions against Iran amid rising tensions. Trump told Time magazine that his predecessor, Barack Obama, had mishandled the high-stakes confrontation, a mistake he would not make. “The only reason the sailors were let go is that we started making massive payments to them the following day,” Trump said. “Otherwise the sailors would still be there.”

But a ProPublica investigation makes clear that Trump’s repeated claims about the captured sailors – Obama’s weakness; that the money was improper – obscure the more troubling realities exposed by the Navy’s 2016 debacle in the Persian Gulf. The Farsi Island mission was a gross failure, involving issues that have plagued the Navy in recent years: inadequate training, poor leadership, and a disinclination to heed the warnings of its men and women about the true extent of its vulnerabilities.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #267 on: July 08, 2019, 08:42:30 PM »
It was a good article. Thanks.
Douglas Adams