Author Topic: Navy News items  (Read 15888 times)

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Re: Navy News items
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »
I wasn't sure if you were talking about the WWII or the new name sakes of the ships or I should say boats as they are both subs now.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2017, 11:28:16 AM »
I wasn't sure if you were talking about the WWII or the new name sakes of the ships or I should say boats as they are both subs now.
Neither of the boomers were sunk at Pearl Harbor, I think.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2017, 11:41:18 AM »
Neither of the boomers were sunk at Pearl Harbor, I think.
That's why I thought you guys were ship spotting. I didn't catch the inference in the first post.
I did see the movie final countdown so .........
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2017, 12:23:35 PM »
So what is the significance of the California and the west Virginia being in Pearl? Unless you are just ship spotting.
They both sank, with the California "turning turtle", i.e., rolling over so just the hull showed. There were several sailors rescued from both, some a few days later. The point is that they aren't dead until you find the bodies. That was the rule when I was on a repair party.

Righting California:

That is the Oklahoma. . . .California sunk evenly.

California

From here
There are other images of her there

For Oklahoma, check here
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2017, 12:30:28 PM »
Yeah, I gotta stop posting drunk.

Or you guys gotta start.

Pick one.

The second one.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2017, 01:41:34 PM »
Yes I thought I read that the USS California's crew flooded the other side so it would settle on its keel and not flip over. Smart thinking.
Douglas Adams

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »
Oklahoma was the other battleship that didn't return to active duty. She's inboard of Wisconsin in this picture.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2017, 08:31:47 PM »

Or you guys gotta start.

Pick one.

The second one.

Unfortunately for you, I don't drink. . . . .I actually assumed you just made a mistake.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2017, 08:34:32 PM »
So what is the significance of the California and the west Virginia being in Pearl? Unless you are just ship spotting.

I need to respond to this as well. When they were refloated, dead crew on both the California and West Virginia were found in flooded compartment. Tied in with the seven crew found in flooded compartments in the Fitzgerald. 
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2017, 07:10:22 AM »

Or you guys gotta start.

Pick one.

The second one.

Unfortunately for you, I don't drink. . . . .I actually assumed you just made a mistake.
Yeah, I was joking. I should know better than to rely on my memory at 66.

BTW, if you're interested in Pearl Harbor: http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/pha/extra.html

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2017, 07:46:37 AM »

Or you guys gotta start.

Pick one.

The second one.

BTW, if you're interested in Pearl Harbor: http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/pha/extra.html

Actually I would recommend Resurrection: Salvaging the Battle Fleet at Pearl Harbor as book about recovering warships at Pearl Harbor.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »

Or you guys gotta start.

Pick one.

The second one.

Actually I would recommend Resurrection: Salvaging the Battle Fleet at Pearl Harbor as book about recovering warships at Pearl Harbor.
I would recommend Pearl Harbor:
Why, How, Fleet Salvage and Final Appraisal

by

Vice Admiral Homer N. Wallin
USN (Retired)
He's the guy who lead the salvage effort.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 08:06:11 AM »
Well, lets move on with another news item

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/surprise-cruiser-shiloh-sailor-presumed-overboard-and-dead-discovered-hiding-on-board

Shiloh sailor reported overboard now found hiding in engine room

A sailor from the cruiser Shiloh whom Navy officials said fell overboard last week, triggering a massive search-and-rescue effort, has been discovered on board.

Presumed dead after going missing June 8, Gas Turbine Systems Technician (Mechanical) 3rd Class Peter Mims reportedly hid himself in one of the engine rooms, according to two sources familiar with the situation.

It is unclear how Mims survived a week in the engineering space or where he was hiding. He will be flown off Shiloh for evaluation soon.

A couple of items is that I heard third hand that his chief thought he might be suicidal. In addition, I remember when I was in the navy, there was a story of a sailor sneaking a foreign woman aboard a ship to bring her home. Suppose to have been caught bringing her food.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 08:09:49 AM »
The squid was probably hiding in the escape trunk. I used to check that for goldbricks.

As for the lady, I've heard that so many times in so many places... It might be true, but it's such great "sea story" material that I wouldn't bet on it.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 08:13:20 AM »
The squid was probably hiding in the escape trunk. I used to check that for goldbricks.

As for the lady, I've heard that so many times in so many places... It might be true, but it's such great "sea story" material that I wouldn't bet on it.

Or it might date back to before World War II
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain