Author Topic: Navy News items  (Read 1003 times)

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
Re: Navy News items
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2017, 08:53:49 PM »
http://www.vesselofinterest.com/2017/06/mapping-acx-crystals-collision-with-uss.html
This page has detailed tracking info, including an animation of the Crystal's course.  The author of this article (blog post?) believes that no one was at the helm of the Crystal.  The first course deviation occurred at the point of collision.  The auto-pilot then brought the ship back onto course and resumed speed for 15 minutes until the someone got onto the bridge and took control, reversing course to return to the scene of the collision.

I am betting that the bridge crew was asleep or drunk
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline SQ the ΣΛ/IGMд

• Atheist extraordinaire
  • Pondering the cosmos since 1969
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2017, 09:08:15 PM »
I left Reeves in drydock there in 1983. I would be fine with anything the JNs did on a ship I was taking to sea. We had to pull the LP rotor out of No. 2 main engine while I was there and the work went smooth and fast.

Never in drydock anywhere myself other than Colonus Shipyard in Norfolk.

Nah-fuck.
I was stationed in dam neck for my a school.
"That's ridiculous, spooks. That's silly!" ~ The Tin Woodsman - The Wizard of Oz ~

"Like it or not, we are stuck with science.  We had better make the best of it." ~ Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World ~

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2017, 09:50:02 PM »
Yokosuka was my first foreign port... I liked it and went to see the giant Buddha at Kamakura.  There were protests there though because we had the capability of nuclear weapons or something (converted boomer).

I didn't like that there was so much American culture so close to base... I wanted to experience Japan.  So I walked and walked and found a Japanese restaurant where businessmen were eating with chopsticks from low tables sitting on the floor being served by women with little pillows strapped to their backs... that's what I wanted.   But the waitress made me sit at the picnic table they had special for squids and brought me a giant bottle of beer.

My first ship, MacDonough, DLG8 at the time, later DDG39, was in drydock when I reported aboard. That was in Charleston, SC.

My first ship was the Luce  DDG-38!  Out of Mayport.
I saw a gentleman with a Luce hat at the VA Friday. Damn we looked old.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline c60Unit

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2017, 11:47:03 PM »
Aw damn.  The seven missing sailors were found dead on the ship.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2017, 09:25:30 AM »

I don't think there was much hope after they were reported missing.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2017, 11:12:47 AM »

USS California at Pearl Harbor.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2017, 11:42:27 AM »

I think that there was the same issue with the West Virginia
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2017, 11:58:44 AM »

I think that there was the same issue with the West Virginia
And neither had the problems of the Oklahoma's crew.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2017, 12:11:31 PM »
Another one that people forget is the USS Utah. . . . I met a crew member who was aboard her when she sunk.
That was years ago though, early to mid 90s, and I suspect that he is deceased by now.
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »
Another one that people forget is the USS Utah. . . . I met a crew member who was aboard her when she sunk.
That was years ago though, early to mid 90s, and I suspect that he is deceased by now.
Alan Zimm cites Utah as a prime example of IJN "buck fever". They knew exactly where she was and that she was a demilitarized target ship, but they dropped on her anyway.

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2017, 05:29:44 AM »
I notice with other discussions of the Fitzgerald is the failure to apply Hanlon's Razor. 

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity" or "Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2017, 08:28:49 AM »
So what is the significance of the California and the west Virginia being in Pearl? Unless you are just ship spotting.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 08:32:45 AM »
So what is the significance of the California and the west Virginia being in Pearl? Unless you are just ship spotting.
They both sank, with the California "turning turtle", i.e., rolling over so just the hull showed. There were several sailors rescued from both, some a few days later. The point is that they aren't dead until you find the bodies. That was the rule when I was on a repair party.

Righting California:

Offline Rai

• PIZZASAURUS
  • Global Moderator
  • Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 08:50:19 AM »
I am no navy person, but isn't there a lot more hope for finding survivors on a capsized, but still floating dreadnought than on a significantly squished section of a destroyer that just got hit by the underwater bow of a much larger ship?

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Well Established
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 08:58:45 AM »
I am no navy person, but isn't there a lot more hope for finding survivors on a capsized, but still floating dreadnought than on a significantly squished section of a destroyer that just got hit by the underwater bow of a much larger ship?
No way to say in advance. Pockets form randomly when there's deformation of the ship's structure, and a lucky squid might dive into one in time to avoid becoming a greasy spot on the bulkhead. The California survivors had to wait for the rescuers to cut through several inches of steel, and the cutting torches were using up the oxygen in the spaces. They had to add air to compensate.

personate-rain
personate-rain