Author Topic: Navy News items  (Read 9499 times)

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: Navy News items
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
And HMS Queen Elizabeth sprung a leak.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42406138

HMS Queen Elizabeth: Leak found on new aircraft carrier

The UK's new aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, is leaking because of a faulty seal.

The Royal Navy's future flagship, which was commissioned by the Queen earlier this month in Portsmouth, has a problem with one of its propeller shafts.

The fault on the £3.1bn carrier was first identified during sea trials.

A Royal Navy spokesman said the ship was scheduled for repair and the fault did not prevent it from sailing again early in the new year.

According to the Sun newspaper,
HMS Queen Elizabeth has been taking on up to 200 litres of sea water every hour
because of the fault.

BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale said the problem was "highly embarrassing" for the Royal Navy and just one of a number of snags still to be rectified.

A Royal Navy spokesman said "an issue" with a shaft seal had been identified during HMS Queen Elizabeth's sea trial and a repair was scheduled for when the carrier was in Portsmouth.

He added: "It does not prevent her from sailing again and her sea trials programme will not be affected."

To be honest, my ship had a problem with our shaft leaking after we we drydocked and had our own shaft removed and then replaced. Now something all that unusual.

It's amazing those shaft seals work at all.  How big are the shafts on an aircraft carrier anyway - 4ft dia?
Amend and resubmit.

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
I will admit, I thought the point of sea trails were to identify such problems... as she hasn't sunk it's not that bad... though according to almost all the newspapers this is some sort of terrible embarrassment...

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2017, 03:10:09 PM »
It's amazing those shaft seals work at all.  How big are the shafts on an aircraft carrier anyway - 4ft dia?
IIRC, somewhere around 2 feet in diameter.   That is the point of sea trials, but I suppose they hoped not to find something so basic as a leak.  Still, doesn't seem embarrassing to me. 

Offline CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »
I will admit, I thought the point of sea trails were to identify such problems... as she hasn't sunk it's not that bad... though according to almost all the newspapers this is some sort of terrible embarrassment...

You gotta sell papers somehow.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2017, 04:59:04 PM »
About two feet, and 165 ft. long, or thereabouts, on an LHA. The seal is wood, lignum vitae. We had to fix one at sea once. The CHENG set out a pair to looped ropes to haul us out of there hiyaku. Didn't die, yet another chance missed. The shaft alley was more than 12 feet underwater where the shaft went through the hull.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »
It looks like the US Navy is looking at the new FFG(X) program costing one billion per frigate
Seems pretty damn pricey to me

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/17535/new-frigate-program-heats-up-as-u-s-navy-says-it-will-pay-nearly-1b-per-ship
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2018, 01:39:01 PM »
My uncle Fergie died yesterday.  He joined the Navy during WWII, and his rate was "motor mechanic".  He went on the Honor Flight about 10 years ago.  We shared some great sea stories.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2018, 05:03:36 PM »
My uncle Fergie died yesterday.  He joined the Navy during WWII, and his rate was "motor mechanic".  He went on the Honor Flight about 10 years ago.  We shared some great sea stories.
MoMMs were in charge of the emergency diesel generators, and the small boat engines.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/DD-Billets/DD-Billets-1.html#gq-62

"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2018, 05:32:55 PM »

MoMMs were in charge of the emergency diesel generators, and the small boat engines.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ref/DD-Billets/DD-Billets-1.html#gq-62

Thanks, I never quite put that together and wasn't sure if he was remembering it right!

The main difference between Motor Machinist Mates and "regular" Machinist Mates was that "Motor Macs" worked with gas and diesel internal combustion engines, while MMs worked with steam propulsion. MOMM later became the Engineman rating.

He went back to Iowa after the war, got married, raised a family and ran a farm machinery supply business.

He had told his father about what a great time he had in San Francisco when the war ended, and before Grandpa died I took him on a tour of The City myself so that was another neat connection.
Amend and resubmit.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #174 on: February 02, 2018, 08:25:30 PM »
Salute to him!

I started out as an Engineman, the later version of the Motor Machinist Mate. Went to Machinist Mate when the war ended and we had too many Enginemen. Got a new Corvette out of the deal. MoMM1 Fergie would have helped get men to shore and back, under fire or just routine. Making first class petty officer was a sign that he was a good man for the Navy to have.

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #175 on: February 06, 2018, 01:03:19 PM »
These photos were in his obit - any idea where this is?

EDIT:  Oh, I think I got it.  USS Lexington in Corpus Christi.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:11:05 PM by Friendly Angel »
Amend and resubmit.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #176 on: February 06, 2018, 01:37:57 PM »
Shipmate!

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2018, 01:45:29 PM »
Shipmate!

He was on a PT boat in the Pacific - I think this was just a vacation. 

Aunt Jean died about 2 years ago.

Amend and resubmit.

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #178 on: February 06, 2018, 03:07:01 PM »
Shipmate!

He was on a PT boat in the Pacific - I think this was just a vacation. 

Aunt Jean died about 2 years ago.
I was Riverine for a while.  8)

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #179 on: March 05, 2018, 05:53:11 PM »
I thought this is cool as hell

https://www.paulallen.com/uss-lexington-wreck-located-rv-petrel/

Wreck of Aircraft Carrier USS Lexington Located in Coral Sea After 76 Years

Wreckage from the USS Lexington was discovered by the expedition crew of Research Vessel (R/V) Petrel on March 4. The Lexington was found 3,000 meters (about two miles) below the surface, resting on the floor of the Coral Sea more than 500 miles off the eastern coast of Australia.

“To pay tribute to the USS Lexington and the brave men that served on her is an honor,” said Paul Allen. “As Americans, all of us owe a debt of gratitude to everyone who served and who continue to serve our country for their courage, persistence and sacrifice.”

As one of the first U.S. aircraft carriers ever built, the Lexington became known as “Lady Lex” and went down with 35 aircraft on board

"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain
personate-rain