Author Topic: Navy News items  (Read 5676 times)

Online Friendly Angel

• Frequent Poster
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
Re: Navy News items
« Reply #165 on: December 19, 2017, 02:47:11 PM »
And HMS Queen Elizabeth sprung a leak.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42406138

HMS Queen Elizabeth: Leak found on new aircraft carrier

The UK's new aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth, is leaking because of a faulty seal.

The Royal Navy's future flagship, which was commissioned by the Queen earlier this month in Portsmouth, has a problem with one of its propeller shafts.

The fault on the £3.1bn carrier was first identified during sea trials.

A Royal Navy spokesman said the ship was scheduled for repair and the fault did not prevent it from sailing again early in the new year.

According to the Sun newspaper,
HMS Queen Elizabeth has been taking on up to 200 litres of sea water every hour
because of the fault.

BBC defence correspondent Jonathan Beale said the problem was "highly embarrassing" for the Royal Navy and just one of a number of snags still to be rectified.

A Royal Navy spokesman said "an issue" with a shaft seal had been identified during HMS Queen Elizabeth's sea trial and a repair was scheduled for when the carrier was in Portsmouth.

He added: "It does not prevent her from sailing again and her sea trials programme will not be affected."

To be honest, my ship had a problem with our shaft leaking after we we drydocked and had our own shaft removed and then replaced. Now something all that unusual.

It's amazing those shaft seals work at all.  How big are the shafts on an aircraft carrier anyway - 4ft dia?
Amend and resubmit.

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #166 on: December 19, 2017, 02:49:33 PM »
I will admit, I thought the point of sea trails were to identify such problems... as she hasn't sunk it's not that bad... though according to almost all the newspapers this is some sort of terrible embarrassment...

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #167 on: December 19, 2017, 03:10:09 PM »
It's amazing those shaft seals work at all.  How big are the shafts on an aircraft carrier anyway - 4ft dia?
IIRC, somewhere around 2 feet in diameter.   That is the point of sea trials, but I suppose they hoped not to find something so basic as a leak.  Still, doesn't seem embarrassing to me. 

Offline CarbShark

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #168 on: December 19, 2017, 03:12:39 PM »
I will admit, I thought the point of sea trails were to identify such problems... as she hasn't sunk it's not that bad... though according to almost all the newspapers this is some sort of terrible embarrassment...

You gotta sell papers somehow.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

"Well, sometimes the magic works. Sometimes it doesn't." -- Chief Dan George, "Little Big Man"

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #169 on: December 19, 2017, 04:59:04 PM »
About two feet, and 165 ft. long, or thereabouts, on an LHA. The seal is wood, lignum vitae. We had to fix one at sea once. The CHENG set out a pair to looped ropes to haul us out of there hiyaku. Didn't die, yet another chance missed. The shaft alley was more than 12 feet underwater where the shaft went through the hull.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Online Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #170 on: January 12, 2018, 06:54:13 PM »
It looks like the US Navy is looking at the new FFG(X) program costing one billion per frigate
Seems pretty damn pricey to me

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/17535/new-frigate-program-heats-up-as-u-s-navy-says-it-will-pay-nearly-1b-per-ship
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll