Author Topic: Navy News items  (Read 11891 times)

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
  • Chicago Blackhawks 2010,13,15 Stanley Cup Champion
Re: Navy News items
« Reply #210 on: June 04, 2018, 09:30:48 AM »
Commanders are really fucked up. Most don't care about anything but there careers.  I've had a few like that.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #211 on: June 04, 2018, 09:48:47 AM »
Commanders are really fucked up. Most don't care about anything but there careers.  I've had a few like that.
I generally found that for the most part, junior officers were alright and cared.   Senior officers were generally careerists only concerned about their career and next promotion.   Obviously some of those started off as junior officers. 

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #212 on: June 04, 2018, 10:34:18 AM »
I generally found that for the most part, junior officers were alright and cared.   Senior officers were generally careerists only concerned about their career and next promotion.   Obviously some of those started off as junior officers.

I see the same thing in the corporate world. The closer the the action, the more they care. When they get to a certain level then something changes. Suddenly their shit don't stink and they think they are geniuses.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."
Douglas Adams

Offline Muriel

• Keeps Priorities Straight
    • My personal blog and homepage
« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2018, 03:11:50 PM »
An oil tanker collided with a Norwegian Navy Frigate last night causing a long tear in the hull of the frigate and it taking on massive amounts of water. The captain/commander (whatever they are called) intentionally put the ship in the shallows to prevent it from sinking. There were no fatalities, but 8 injuries.
Investigations are currently ongoing by both the military/navy and the police to figure out how this could happen. Especially because this was a state-of-the-art frigate which should have had several opportunities to see the tanker.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46136564

"Anything one man can imagine,
other men can make real."
- Jules Verne

Offline John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2018, 04:07:19 PM »
How embarrassing.

Online CarbShark

• Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2018, 04:12:37 PM »
An oil tanker collided with a Norwegian Navy Frigate last night causing a long tear in the hull of the frigate and it taking on massive amounts of water. The captain/commander (whatever they are called) intentionally put the ship in the shallows to prevent it from sinking. There were no fatalities, but 8 injuries.
Investigations are currently ongoing by both the military/navy and the police to figure out how this could happen. Especially because this was a state-of-the-art frigate which should have had several opportunities to see the tanker.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46136564

This was no boating accident. It was a shark, with a mouth this big
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just a guy who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

Offline xenu

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #216 on: November 08, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »
Douglas Adams

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2018, 07:13:19 PM »
Yeah, looks like no serious injuries, so the cost of this colossal fuck up is the main issue. The ship cost around 440 million Euros/4.2 billion NOK new, valued at about half that now. Or 24 hours ago.

In addition to shutting down travel and several oil platforms, the cost of the rescue efforts, etc.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 07:16:02 PM by 2397 »

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #218 on: November 08, 2018, 09:34:38 PM »
Wonder if it salvageable
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Online 2397

• Well Established
« Reply #219 on: November 09, 2018, 05:15:57 AM »
If it doesn't sink.

They're working on securing it, and then they have to remove all the ammunition before they can bring it home.

Here's an article with anonymous sources claiming that the frigate was contacted both by the tanker and the traffic authorities ahead of the the collision, and they responded that they had control. This more mainstream news agency confirms that there was contact with the traffic authorities just before the collision.

If the oil tanker had been seriously damaged, with 625 000 barrels of oil this could've been an Exxon Valdez level disaster.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 05:30:50 AM by 2397 »

Offline mindme

• Reef Tank Owner
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #220 on: November 09, 2018, 08:27:45 AM »
Only replying here so I can follow this thread via See new replies to your posts.
"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #221 on: November 10, 2018, 08:30:51 PM »
Russian's largest drydock sunk along with their only carrier.

The Amiral Kuznetsov  pretty much was already is pretty screw already

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24547/huge-floating-dry-dock-holding-russias-only-aircraft-carrier-has-accidentally-sunk
Details remain limited and are likely to change, but what we do know is that one of the world's largest floating dry docks, known as PD-50, has sunk while Russia's aircraft carrier Amiral Kuznetsov was aboard. According to reports, the dry dock began to sink suddenly, collapsing cranes onto the carrier's deck and sending shipyard workers scrambling for their lives.
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2018, 05:40:17 AM »
USS Nevada's CO grounded her on Hospital Point (east side of the channel) on Dec. 7th, 1941. The IJN pilots saw her moving and were drawn like flies to honey. She returned to service. Eventually.
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2018, 08:24:33 AM »
The Nevada came to rest more or less level

— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #224 on: November 11, 2018, 09:21:23 AM »
Homer Wallin raised the Oklahoma as well, though that one was a wee bit more challenging.

"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41