Author Topic: Your navigation app is making traffic unmanageable  (Read 582 times)

Offline superdave

• Too Much Spare Time
Re: Your navigation app is making traffic unmanageable
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2019, 02:57:34 PM »
I feel like people in this thread are being obtuse.  How can you believe that diverting highway levels of traffic onto local residential streets is fine?  There's a reason why highways exist!
I disavow anyone in the movement involved in any illegal,unethical, sexist, or racist behavior. However, I don't have the energy or time to investigate each person and case, and a lack of individual disavowals for each incident should not be construed as condoning such behavior.

Offline Scamplotter

• Brand New
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2019, 04:02:52 PM »
The point is: If I need to get from A to B, I’m going to take whatever route works best. That is always how it is going to be. Any effort that doesn’t acknowledge that is doomed to fail.

If the highway is jammed an an alternative is available- it will be used.

Online 2397

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2019, 04:23:24 PM »
People will flood all the roads with traffic if it's convenient for them, yes. There needs to be more investments in infrastructure, in public transportation, and in making appropriate rules for the roads.

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2019, 04:27:09 PM »
I feel like people in this thread are being obtuse.  How can you believe that diverting highway levels of traffic onto local residential streets is fine?  There's a reason why highways exist!

Its not highway levels of traffic, its a congested residential street. We are not routing commercial traffic and semi trucks through there, its peoples cars.  If it continues you take steps to relieve the congestion like one ways, lights, and speed bumps.

I had to drive to Decatur yesterday and took one of my back routs that I haven't used in a while, this is still a main street meant for heavy traffic but they made a huge change I was not prepared for. (something I wish Ways would start warning about somehow) . The road used to have an Atl suicide lane which is slang for a reversible lane. The road has 3 lanes, in the morning the center lane goes one way towards downtown then around 11am it switched to the opposite direction for the rest of the day. There were lights with big red Xs or green Os to let you know which way traffic was heading.  Its a suicide lane because tourists and other visitors, even locals fucked this up from time to time.

Traffic kept getting heavier on this road the last few years (possibly because of ways), A highway runs right next to it but with highway congestion this road became faster.  The suicide lane worked great in the past but now that it was so busy if someone wanted to make a left turn they ended up creating a jam and there are too many side streets to put stops or lights in on all of them. It was also jamming up the side streets when they were waiting to turn onto the bigger street not to mention the people now using the side streets to get around the larger congested road.

They turned the center lane into a turn lane with well placed turn arrows at every street.  WTF!  My Xwife tells me that the morning traffic has sped up considerably and the side streets are less traveled however now i'm driving behind this city bus and I cant pass, fuck.   >:( .

My point being that when the traffic changed the city had to adapt.  In this case fixing one road solved a problem.  Those side streets had already added speed bumps and a few circles long ago to slow down traffic around families. If its new to your area you will have to do the same.

“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Offline Captain Video

• Superhero of the Silver Screen
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2019, 08:38:55 PM »
BTW Cookie Monster disappeared without warning  >:(

They put some military woman on there and her voice sucks, I don't like Jane either. I switched to UK Natalie but she does not say street names.  UK Kate says street names but her voice is too shrill.

CM did not say street names but I didn't care, I want him back.

It has a new record voice feature, If I have some time this weekend I mite try that out.
“Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin.”
― Robert A. Heinlein, The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

Online CarbShark

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2019, 05:02:58 PM »
BTW Cookie Monster disappeared without warning  >:(

They put some military woman on there and her voice sucks, I don't like Jane either. I switched to UK Natalie but she does not say street names.  UK Kate says street names but her voice is too shrill.

CM did not say street names but I didn't care, I want him back.

It has a new record voice feature, If I have some time this weekend I mite try that out.

Try UK Carol.

I prefer not saying street names because they extend the interruption of the music, book or podcast I'm listening to.  I only find them useful if I'm in an unfamiliar location.
and Donald Trump is President of the United States.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just someone who has done a ton of research into diet and nutrition.

personate-rain