Author Topic: Tech.jpg  (Read 23880 times)

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
Re: Tech.jpg
« Reply #315 on: February 07, 2019, 09:59:54 AM »
"Yeti cafe".
Mooohn!

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #316 on: February 08, 2019, 05:52:01 AM »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2019, 02:01:03 AM »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #318 on: February 09, 2019, 02:17:29 AM »
That's some kind of maths joke, right?  ???
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2019, 08:46:49 AM »
That's some kind of maths joke, right?  ???

Rounding Error

Squeezing infinitely many real numbers into a finite number of bits requires an approximate representation. Although there are infinitely many integers, in most programs the result of integer computations can be stored in 32 bits. In contrast, given any fixed number of bits, most calculations with real numbers will produce quantities that cannot be exactly represented using that many bits. Therefore the result of a floating-point calculation must often be rounded in order to fit back into its finite representation. This rounding error is the characteristic feature of floating-point computation. The section Relative Error and Ulps describes how it is measured.

Since most floating-point calculations have rounding error anyway, does it matter if the basic arithmetic operations introduce a little bit more rounding error than necessary? That question is a main theme throughout this section. The section Guard Digits discusses guard digits, a means of reducing the error when subtracting two nearby numbers. Guard digits were considered sufficiently important by IBM that in 1968 it added a guard digit to the double precision format in the System/360 architecture (single precision already had a guard digit), and retrofitted all existing machines in the field. Two examples are given to illustrate the utility of guard digits.

(From here; so a float is just a fixed number of bits representing a decimal with limited precision, and the double just has twice as many bits as a float and thus has a greater range of values)

Or, if you want something a little more hands-on.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 08:50:06 AM by werecow »
Mooohn!

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #320 on: February 11, 2019, 09:17:12 AM »

Offline Billzbub

• Frequent Poster
  • I know you know I know
« Reply #321 on: February 11, 2019, 08:31:56 PM »
I'd like to thank Stack Overflow for my job.  Every day.
Quote from: Steven Novella
gleefully altering one’s beliefs to accommodate new information should be a badge of honor

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #322 on: February 12, 2019, 07:42:05 AM »
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #323 on: February 12, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »
I'd like to thank Stack Overflow for my job.  Every day.

My thoughts exactly. Basically my job consists of looking things up on SO and then adapting the code. Especially when I'm doing straight up JAVA programming as opposed to vague data science experimenting with python.
Mooohn!

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #324 on: February 12, 2019, 10:11:46 AM »
I have no idea what this is about.

Probably happily so. 
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline werecow

• Cryptobovinologist
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • mooh
« Reply #325 on: February 12, 2019, 10:49:42 AM »

Probably happily so.

StackOverflow is a Q&A site aimed at programming and scripting where every programmer goes when they need to actually do something more complicated than "Hello World".
Mooohn!

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #326 on: February 12, 2019, 10:52:54 AM »

Probably happily so.

StackOverflow is a Q&A site aimed at programming and scripting where every programmer goes when they need to actually do something more complicated than "Hello World".
As a professional programmer, I end up searching in SO at least once a week on average.  It's really helpful when you get less than helpful error messages out of common libraries.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Online Noisy Rhysling

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #327 on: February 12, 2019, 11:30:27 AM »
Backs slowly toward the door.  :-\

But seriously, folks, I did two years of "Computer Technology" at Purdue. That's COBOL and that shit. Played with assembler, that taught me patience.

Online The Latinist

• Cyber Greasemonkey
  • Technical Administrator
  • Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #328 on: February 12, 2019, 11:38:22 AM »
When one adds 0.1 and 0.2 in Python, one gets 0.30000000000000004.
I would like to propose...that...it is undesirable to believe in a proposition when there is no ground whatever for supposing it true. — Bertrand Russell

Offline Calinthalus

• Stopped Going Outside
    • My Page
« Reply #329 on: February 12, 2019, 11:49:39 AM »
Three cheers for floating point arithmetic.
--Stephen Hawking