Author Topic: Tech.jpg  (Read 38361 times)

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
Re: Tech.jpg
« Reply #180 on: November 06, 2018, 08:26:28 AM »
Trouble with a chromebook is that you have to be connected to the internet to use effectively.

No more than the normal tablet experience. I have traveled extensively with just my Samsung (or earlier) tablet and a Bluetooth keyboard, but some applications cry for a mouse, and that's where the tablet interface falls down the most. To an extent there is a pixel area problem on tablets, but this should be solved by now (as on the Surface Pro, but it still does not "feel right" in tablet mode). An example is handling a lot of email traffic, e.g., getting rid of a lot of junk emails. This is much easier with a mouse than with a finger or stylus. Also answering a lot of emails.

There are now Chromebook/Android clones of the Surface Pro, but they are about as expensive as the new smaller Surface Pro 6 and from reviews, the switch between the two modes is apparently still disappointing.

On one International trip where I had to travel really light, I used Linux on a stick and would re-boot hotel computers into Linux for some relatively-secure interface to US systems. It worked pretty well, but finding hotel computers seems to be getting harder, not easier.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2018, 02:15:48 PM »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Desert Fox

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2018, 08:21:46 PM »
Trouble with a chromebook is that you have to be connected to the internet to use effectively.

No more than the normal tablet experience. I have traveled extensively with just my Samsung (or earlier) tablet and a Bluetooth keyboard, but some applications cry for a mouse, and that's where the tablet interface falls down the most. To an extent there is a pixel area problem on tablets, but this should be solved by now (as on the Surface Pro, but it still does not "feel right" in tablet mode). An example is handling a lot of email traffic, e.g., getting rid of a lot of junk emails. This is much easier with a mouse than with a finger or stylus. Also answering a lot of emails.

There are now Chromebook/Android clones of the Surface Pro, but they are about as expensive as the new smaller Surface Pro 6 and from reviews, the switch between the two modes is apparently still disappointing.

On one International trip where I had to travel really light, I used Linux on a stick and would re-boot hotel computers into Linux for some relatively-secure interface to US systems. It worked pretty well, but finding hotel computers seems to be getting harder, not easier.

I use a tablet for reading books and sometimes watching a movie. Anything else I have an Asus Celeron netbook. I actually really like the netbook and what I am answering you on. 

I have a Kindle fire which I was given, It is smaller than the 11 inch generic tablet
The generic tablet was just too big and also had a ton of bloatware on it   
Still, I don't like the walled garden of the Kindle. I had to sneak in an alternate book reading program because not in love with the Kindle book software. I also don't like that you can't just plug a flash drive in and watch a movie from it.

I am curious about Samsung tablets? Can you get one, even a older one, that does not need a wireless plan.
I assume that they had good enough specs to watch 1080 video even if not in 1080?
Third, how walled garden are they?
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #183 on: November 11, 2018, 09:19:12 AM »
Apparently a lot of people cannot remember a time before USB

I had a printer that could plug in USB or Parallel. Had so many problems with USB that for many years I did not trust USB for printers.   

Also had a friend who bought from Radio Shack an early USB only computer (probably Win 98SE) and had trouble with even his mouse and keyboard.

Now though there are few issues with USB and everything connects via USB
"Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will; but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
— Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #184 on: November 11, 2018, 07:29:54 PM »
That's why there's a U in it.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #185 on: November 11, 2018, 09:04:02 PM »
How many different universal cables are there?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #186 on: November 11, 2018, 09:37:19 PM »

Dunno. I do know that the Universal Serial Bus cable is used almost everywhere, for almost everything, thus fitting the definition.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.

Offline Soldier of FORTRAN

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Cache rules everything around me.
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2018, 12:14:05 AM »
If global warming is real then how come I just felt this chill down my spine?

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2018, 06:44:20 AM »

Dunno. I do know that the Universal Serial Bus cable is used almost everywhere, for almost everything, thus fitting the definition.
I was actually referring to the bitter ends. Mini, Micro, M.I.C., K.E.Y., why so many?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline DevoutCatalyst

• Well Established
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2018, 06:59:39 AM »

I was actually referring to the bitter ends. Mini, Micro, M.I.C., K.E.Y., why so many?
I prefer devices with USB C. Hope there are no further shapes forthcoming.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2018, 09:14:36 AM »
I'm sure there will be more shapes at some point. I expect that USB-C will be with us for a while though.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2018, 03:26:01 PM »
Here's hoping USB C is the ultimate form. I can't believe it took them this long to figure out a reversible USB plug.

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2018, 06:32:21 PM »
Yeah, well, the regular ol' USB is still used pretty much everywhere. I can count... let's see... four USB devices just on my desk right now, and no USB-C. At home I'm pretty sure I've got another nine. I agree that C is more convenient, but it just hasn't been adopted widely yet.

Offline Calinthalus

• Too Much Spare Time
    • My Page
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2018, 07:32:36 PM »
My tablet and phone are USB-C, my wireless headphones, Kindle and bluetooth speaker a micro-USB for charging.  One of my keyboards are regular USB, the other is wireless, both mice are wireless...all wireless actually use a USB dongle.
"I think computer viruses should count as life. Maybe it says something about human nature, that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. Talk about creating life in our own image."
--Stephen Hawking

Offline Desert Fox

• Hopeful Non-Theist
    • Kitsune's Web Page
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2018, 07:48:56 PM »
Nothing I have is currently USB-C
For the next decade or so, old USB should still be able to be used however
— Robert G. Ingersoll

personate-rain