Author Topic: D&D Game  (Read 23967 times)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
D&D Game
« on: July 14, 2017, 12:30:38 AM »
OK, so I'm thinking about starting an online D&D campaign on https://roll20.net

Here's my idea:

The initial setting for adventure will be an urban environment, the hub of a major city-state (perhaps even the capital) of a sprawling, formerly prosperous but waning empire. At any rate, it's a major port city that receives exotic goods and traffic from all over the world. The population is dense and diverse. It is one of the world's richest cities, but class restrictions and wealth disparity are severe.

You are a rabble of homeless street urchins living by your wits in a major city of an ancient, sprawling empire. It's a once-great civilization built on military might and arcane magic, that's now just starting to crumble around the edges due to barbaric and monstrous incursions from without and slave revolts within.

You've been lucky enough to find regular shelter away from the decrepit shantytowns outside the city walls. Inside the old city it's a hardscrabble existence for a wily street kid. Friendships are hard-won, as you band together out of necessity. Your only connections are your fellow inmates of the cheap flop house where you crash whenever you can scrape together a few coppers to afford it. Can you rely upon these fellow unfortunates to have your back against the city guard and the vicious street gangs seeking control of the criminal underground? You start the game with little more than the rags on your back, and it's up to you to pull yourself up by your own bootstraps in a brutal, merciless city.

All characters start out the game as 1st level Rogues with most likely Urchin or Criminal backgrounds. I'm inclined to be flexible about background if you have a good enough character idea that fits well into the scenario. In that case, message me and we'll talk.

Here are some guidelines on what kind of characters are being allowed at this point. I ask that you please bear with me and try not to feel disappointed or constricted by these rules. I have some good reasons for setting the game up this way, and I ask that you trust that I have all players' best interests in mind.

1. This is not a super high-fantasy type of game, so the allowable races are: Humans, Hobbits (Lightfoot or Stout), Dwarves (Hill, Mountain, or Grey), Gnomes (Forest, Rock, or Deep), Elves (High or Wood), Half-Elves, and Half-Orcs. That means no lizard, bird or cat people; no Dragonborn; no Genasi, Githyanki or other setting-specific races; no magical beings, no elemental half-breeds or anything that's not in the 5E Player's Handbook. I might flex on some other races, but they'll probably require some caveats. For example Drow elves may be allowable, but you should know up front that playing a Drow will involve some restrictive social disadvantages in a Human-centric urban setting with strict laws governing the use of magic.

2. As a general rule of thumb, try to think about the type of person who'd most likely be a dirt poor child scraping to survive in an urban environment. How did this kid end up in such unfortunate circumstances? Is this person an orphan, a runaway, or a lost child trying to reunite with their parents?

3. Your character starts the game as a pre-teen or early teenager. This means you start out as a level 1 Rogue with only rags for clothes; a crappy dagger, cudgel, or slingshot for a weapon; one valueless, nonmagical trinket as a possession (I suggest you make one up that supports your character's background). Roll 1d6 to determine the number of copper pieces you start out with. To obtain more money, you're going to have to beg, steal, find work, or adventure for it. 

4. Your character has a Life's Dream, in the form of a desired class that he or she endeavors to achieve. You might dream of being a great fighter, entertainer, or user of magic. Maybe you're inspired by a Vocation to serve some god, devil, or fey entity. As you explore the city and encounter NPCs, you will at some point be offered a Big Break to embark on your Life's Dream. At that point you will have the clear option to accept or reject the opportunity. Should you accept, you will have the option of multi-classing with your chosen class at your next level-up. If you reject the opportunity, you may have to wait awhile before another one comes along. Gaining the trust or favor of the right NPC is one good way to get your Big Break, and all opportunities for advancement may not occur under optimal conditions. In order to realize our dreams, we all must make sacrifices... 

Unfortunately, certain classes such as Cleric, Monk, Sorcerer, or paladin that involve noble birth, extraordinary inborn ability, or long periods of concentrated training will probably be difficult to make work. But if you have a good idea, feel free to contact me and we can discuss it.

In this campaign you will be running into NPCs of all different classes and social standings, so you never know what could happen.

I tend to run this as a pick-up game, where everybody doesn't have to be there for every session.

If this kind of fantasy game sounds appealing to you, post in this thread and we'll try to figure out a time schedule that works for everybody.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 08:34:51 AM by John Albert »

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: Anybody want to join in an online D&D 5E campaign?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 05:33:38 AM »
Yeah, I have a character concept that fits this idea. As I said in the other thread I'm keen, but timezones are a bitch. I've worked out that Friday and Saturday evenings in the US are Saturday and Sunday mornings in Australia, and I can generally work to that kind of schedule as long as it's not too early.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:48:03 AM »
interested. Sat evening mostly works for me.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »
I'm in - I can do most nights except Thursday.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 01:22:47 PM »
I am curious to see the differences between playing D&D online vs in person, but I only have one free saturday until the end of Septembre, so, maybe I can't join in.

But I would love to play a busker (bard) with a pet monkey (who is really a thief) in this setting. (The town sounds like Waterdeep?)
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 02:05:49 PM »
What is your take on Unearthed Arcana, and optional rules?  Obviously you are using Multiclassing.   :laugh:
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 03:58:57 PM »
What is your take on Unearthed Arcana, and optional rules?  Obviously you are using Multiclassing.   :laugh:
I use Unearthed Arcana stuff in my games (new ranger, spells, and subclasses, so far), but that would be up to the DM, I would say. Same with other house rules.

I'm not multiclassing; the character is a bard, and the monkey is the thief! (Disney's Aladin, but with a lute?) Oh, did you mean, like, a bard having to multiclass to have a pet, since there are only ranger's companions or wizard's familars on the books? Sure, but there also aren't rules against pets. (I gave one of my players — playing a cleric — a pet wolf, because he rolled a 20 on his Animal handling check. It basically functions as a ranger's companion, without the psychic link and immortality.)

Anyway I am not married to the pet monkey thing.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 04:27:58 PM »
I use Unearthed Arcana stuff in my games (new ranger, spells, and subclasses, so far), but that would be up to the DM, I would say. Same with other house rules.

I'm not multiclassing; the character is a bard, and the monkey is the thief! (Disney's Aladin, but with a lute?) Oh, did you mean, like, a bard having to multiclass to have a pet, since there are only ranger's companions or wizard's familars on the books? Sure, but there also aren't rules against pets. (I gave one of my players — playing a cleric — a pet wolf, because he rolled a 20 on his Animal handling check. It basically functions as a ranger's companion, without the psychic link and immortality.)

I appreciate hearing from you on this, but I was asking the DM.   ;D
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2017, 05:03:33 PM »

That explains a lot.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »

That explains a lot.

I do like the concept.  I'd love to do a Wild Sorcerer, who got booted out of school because he couldn't control his magic.  Stuck a long way from home he fell in with the thieves guild as a way to survive.

If UA is on the table, there is a bad ass Rouge archetype called the Swashbuckler that'd I'd love to give a shot.

Or I'd love to play a straight up fighter too.   Sometimes "thieves" are just straight up muscle.

Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Frequent Poster
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2017, 05:54:43 PM »

That explains a lot.

I do like the concept.  I'd love to do a Wild Sorcerer, who got booted out of school because he couldn't control his magic.  Stuck a long way from home he fell in with the thieves guild as a way to survive.

If UA is on the table, there is a bad ass Rouge archetype called the Swashbuckler that'd I'd love to give a shot.

Or I'd love to play a straight up fighter too.   Sometimes "thieves" are just straight up muscle.
I believe the Swashbuckler was actually in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, therefore is actually legit official.

And yeah, I would agree that "thieves" and "thieves' guilds" are composed of people of many different classes.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2017, 08:10:19 PM »
I'll fight you for it. My character concept is a half-orc Wild Magic Sorcerer thug who doesn't understand what's happening to him and is really confused and upset by it.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
Is it bad that I first thought of an escaped slave drow assassin that wants to kill everything above ground?
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2017, 01:43:37 AM »
Wow, I'm flattered. I didn't expect so much interest right away.

I'll answer all these posts individually, but first a word about scheduling.

Many Saturday nights are mostly good for me. But there will be occasions, sometimes several weeks in a row, when I'll have some other business on a Saturday night.

Sunday, Monday and Tuesday evenings would be better for me to keep the thing going regularly, since I seldom have conflicts on those evenings.

But if it has to be a weekend night, we could set it up on a monthly or biweekly basis and schedule game nights as we go. I'd like to get as much game play in as possible for the first few weeks in order to get the story rolling.

Thoughts?

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2017, 01:45:51 AM »
I am curious to see the differences between playing D&D online vs in person, but I only have one free saturday until the end of Septembre, so, maybe I can't join in.

But I would love to play a busker (bard) with a pet monkey (who is really a thief) in this setting. (The town sounds like Waterdeep?)

I've only played in person thus far. Never used roll20 before, so this will have a bit of a learning curve for me. I'm going to sign up and try and get in on a couple games before starting one of my own, just to see how it goes.