Author Topic: D&D Game  (Read 2815 times)

Online John Albert

• Well Established
Re: Anybody want to join in an online D&D 5E campaign?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 03:07:13 AM »
What is your take on Unearthed Arcana, and optional rules?  Obviously you are using Multiclassing.   :laugh:

I'd like to stick mainly to 5E for the basic gameplay. But I'm also incorporating a lot of unofficial rules here and there, especially on the DM side. One thing I'd like to do is use custom "Fumble" and Critical Hit" charts, so a very low "to hit" roll could cause you to fumble somehow (dropping your weapon, hitting yourself, slipping and falling...) but on the other end you'd get to inflict special extra damage effects from rolling a nat 20 (disarming an enemy, severing a limb, knocking off a piece of armor, etc.). So yeah I'm already making little tweaks like that.

You will for all intents and purposes all be starting out as 1st level Rogues, along with the advantages that confers.

If you don't want to remain a Rogue, think about which class you'd like your character to eventually become, and then use the 5E point trading system to set up your abilities accordingly. Whatever class you choose, I'll give you all an extra 2 points onto your Dexterity so long as that doesn't put you over a Dex total of 18. Say for example that you want your character to eventually mature into a fighter, so you really need to tank up on Strength and Constitution. Go ahead and do that, but also add 2 points to your Dex in order to make a reasonably effective Rogue as well.

Should you decide to switch classes later, you'll get to keep some of the Rogue class advantages while adding those of the new class. What I'll basically do is allow you to trade 2 of your 4 Rogue proficiencies for 2 of whatever class you're changing into. If you switch classes, then no matter what level you attain in your new class, you'll always retain the skills and abilities learned in your Rogue past. Sound good?

One other thing, because you're all stating out as little street urchins, you are not going to get all the usual weapons and outfitting that the game normally offers. You'll have no swords or bows. You basically start out with a small knife or dagger, maybe a blackjack or small cudgel, some basic thief's tools, and an explorer's pack or cloak with sewn-in hidden pockets. But don't worry, you'll gradually acquire stuff as you scrounge around town and rob people, and employers will sometimes supply you with tools when you take on jobs.

The only classes I won't allow are Paladins, Monks, Druids. Rangers might be possible, but are iffy. 

I also have some restrictions on race: no Dragonborn, no Tieflings, no full Elves, no Dwarves. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:36:24 AM by John Albert »

Online John Albert

• Well Established
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 03:09:43 AM »
What is your take on Unearthed Arcana, and optional rules?  Obviously you are using Multiclassing.   :laugh:

I use Unearthed Arcana stuff in my games (new ranger, spells, and subclasses, so far), but that would be up to the DM, I would say. Same with other house rules.

If you have an idea to use some non-canonical rule, just ask me about it specifically.

I'm not multiclassing; the character is a bard, and the monkey is the thief! (Disney's Aladin, but with a lute?) Oh, did you mean, like, a bard having to multiclass to have a pet, since there are only ranger's companions or wizard's familars on the books? Sure, but there also aren't rules against pets. (I gave one of my players — playing a cleric — a pet wolf, because he rolled a 20 on his Animal handling check. It basically functions as a ranger's companion, without the psychic link and immortality.)

Anyway I am not married to the pet monkey thing.

You're not going to have a pet right from the start, but I could work that into the story if you play your cards right. ;)

Online John Albert

• Well Established
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2017, 03:16:43 AM »
I do like the concept.  I'd love to do a Wild Sorcerer, who got booted out of school because he couldn't control his magic.  Stuck a long way from home he fell in with the thieves guild as a way to survive.

If UA is on the table, there is a bad ass Rouge archetype called the Swashbuckler that'd I'd love to give a shot.

Or I'd love to play a straight up fighter too.   Sometimes "thieves" are just straight up muscle.

He's going to be a child. That's the thing. His training can't have been very extensive. Maybe he was from a poor family and got accepted into wizard boarding school due to his magical ability, but got kicked out and didn't have enough money to travel back home. It might be fun to work out some kind of scenario where he has no abilities beyond L1 Rogue but has a personal quirk of randomly triggering something akin to a Wild Surge whenever he's under extreme duress.

Online John Albert

• Well Established
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2017, 03:17:45 AM »
I do like the concept.  I'd love to do a Wild Sorcerer, who got booted out of school because he couldn't control his magic.  Stuck a long way from home he fell in with the thieves guild as a way to survive.

I'll fight you for it. My character concept is a half-orc Wild Magic Sorcerer thug who doesn't understand what's happening to him and is really confused and upset by it.

I mean, maybe your guys' characters could maybe bond over this and figure it out together. Let's discuss.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 03:20:03 AM by John Albert »

Online John Albert

• Well Established
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 03:19:46 AM »
Is it bad that I first thought of an escaped slave drow assassin that wants to kill everything above ground?

Nice idea, but I don't think a full Drow will quite work in this scenario. How about a half-drow who turns assassin out of sublimated rage at being treated like a half-breed monster by the surface-dwellers? 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 04:09:45 AM by John Albert »

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 09:11:20 PM »
Is it bad that I first thought of an escaped slave drow assassin that wants to kill everything above ground?

Nice idea, but I don't think a full Drow will quite work in this scenario. How about a half-drow who turns assassin out of sublimated rage at being treated like a half-breed monster by the surface-dwellers?

Deal.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online John Albert

• Well Established
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2017, 03:59:21 PM »
By the way, you can start out as any of the Rogue archetypes except Mastermind. That is to say: Swashbuckler, Arcane Trickster, Assassin.

My advice would be to pick one that will facilitate the transition into whatever class you want to pursue. If you want to be a fighter, pick Swashbuckler. If you want to end up as some kind of magic user class (Sorcerer, Warlock, Wizard), pick Arcane Trickster.

If you want to play a Mastermind, you'll have to develop into one as time goes on. Let me know if you intend to do this, because if so then I already have an adventure plot in mind for you. ;)

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2017, 04:05:08 PM »
I already said assassin so go with that. Give us more details for the group in roll 20. I'll show up when i can and sit in there.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online John Albert

• Well Established
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2017, 04:19:49 PM »
I have another group of people interested in playing, but they can only do Mondays and Tuesdays.

I'm thinking I'm going to do a regular game night on Monday or Tuesday, and another on Friday or Saturday nights when I'm free (which at this point is most weekends).

I'll try to tailor each session to be a self-contained adventure so that everybody doesn't have to be there on every game night.

Does this work for you guys?

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2017, 05:59:08 PM »
Some points on mechanics in 5e (just making sure you are aware):

- The archetypes (swashbuckler, assassin, etc.) don't happen until level 3, so I would expect that only players who stick with rogues would get to pick one. (Waiting until lv 3 seems like a long way off to multiclass.)

- Functionaly, outside of setting and roleplay, having eveyone roll a rogue means all your players will get a Sneak Attack (extra d6 on damage every 2 levels of rogue) on most of their melee and ranged attacks (since all it requires is for your target to have another enemy next to it), on top of regular abilities of their chosen class. Also double proficiency bonus on any two skills.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online John Albert

• Well Established
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2017, 06:43:24 PM »
- The archetypes (swashbuckler, assassin, etc.) don't happen until level 3, so I would expect that only players who stick with rogues would get to pick one. (Waiting until lv 3 seems like a long way off to multiclass.)

Correct. I probably ought to clarify a few things.

You'll play as a Rogue for the first several sessions, perhaps enough to level up a few times before before you manage to get an opportunity to drag yourself out of the gutter. Then, at some point the course of your adventure will reveal an opportunity to train, apprentice, maybe acquire an artifact like an Arcane Focus or other means to develop your desired class. This will not happen to all characters at the same time, but please be patient and believe that when it happens it will be well worth your while!  The early levels will go by fast, and you'll probably reach at least L3 before you get your Big Break. Please note your desired class when you give me your character info at the start of the game.

At any rate, once you reach Rogue L3, you'll be able to choose an archetype as usual. Choose whichever one you prefer, but I suggest picking the one that best meshes with your desired class. For example, you could start out as an Arcane Trickster and then progress into a Sorcerer, Wizard or Warlock, or you could go from Swashbuckler into a Fighter. 

If you decide to take the opportunity to switch classes, then upon achieving your next level you will start at L1 in the new class while retaining all advantages of your current Rogue level. As you advance in the new class, you'll stop leveling as a Rogue and continue as the new class.

If you choose to remain a Rogue, then you're welcome to do that as well. Let me know in advance so I can allow you to acquire your full complement of skills right from the start.

- Functionaly, outside of setting and roleplay, having eveyone roll a rogue means all your players will get a Sneak Attack (extra d6 on damage every 2 levels of rogue) on most of their melee and ranged attacks (since all it requires is for your target to have another enemy next to it), on top of regular abilities of their chosen class. Also double proficiency bonus on any two skills.

Yep. The characters will keep their sneak attack bonus whenever using the Rogue class weapons or types of attacks related to their chosen archetype.

You'll start as a L1 Rogue but with the restriction that you can only choose 2 initial skills instead of 4, and only one skill for the double proficiency, unless you wish to remain a Rogue instead of switching classes. In that case, let me know in advance and you'll get the full complement of Rogue skills and proficiency bonuses.

If you wish to switch classes, I advise you to carefully choose skills for your double proficiency bonus that will mesh well with your desired class.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 06:57:00 PM by John Albert »

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2017, 07:01:20 PM »
I don't want to play a rogue, so I'd definitely be switching classes to something completely different at my earliest opportunity. Cleric, perhaps, since no-one else seems to have expressed a preference for that.

I must admit to being somewhat confused about how this class-switching thing is going to work.

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2017, 07:03:47 PM »
Ooh, how about an urban Druid?

Online John Albert

• Well Established
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2017, 07:29:53 PM »
I must admit to being somewhat confused about how this class-switching thing is going to work.

Don't sweat it. I've been thinking about it for awhile.

Urban Druid, eh? I've never played one, or even seen one played.

I suppose you could somehow end up as a charity case of some weird inner city cult and get indoctrinated into their ways...

You get the ability to Stride the city streets without impairment or injury, assume the Wild Shape of a rat, opossum or a pigeon...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 07:34:51 PM by John Albert »

Offline arthwollipot

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2017, 07:52:27 PM »
I meant an urban Druid, not an Urban Druid, which as far as I know in 5th Edition isn't a separate thing. I don't keep up with Unearthed Arcana - most of what I like is in the published books.

I've never played a druid before, so it could be interesting. I'd really like to be able to play it from 1st level though, to get accustomed to the class' abilities and powers gradually.

Do you want us to roll for stats or use point buy?

personate-rain