Author Topic: D&D Game  (Read 3965 times)

Online John Albert

• Well Established
Re: D&D Game
« Reply #180 on: October 09, 2017, 02:55:54 PM »
There was some excellent role playing that night. The 40 minute argument over whether to kill that poor frat pledge kid was pretty tense. I feel that things would have gone differently if other characters were around, but it makes sense that Elven rogues (who don't have to sleep) would be out roaming the city at night while humans are all tucked safe in their beds.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
    • Valuum
« Reply #181 on: October 09, 2017, 05:13:09 PM »
There was some excellent role playing that night. The 40 minute argument over whether to kill that poor frat pledge kid was pretty tense. I feel that things would have gone differently if other characters were around, but it makes sense that Elven rogues (who don't have to sleep) would be out roaming the city at night while humans are all tucked safe in their beds.

Honestly, Valenti is quite uncomfortable with that murder. Val has killed in self defense, but that was his first cold-bloodied murder.

Morvis, Val is a Half-Elf, not an Elf. More often than not he is mistaken for a young human boy - it just makes life easier if you can pass.

If you're interested, I've written a draft narrative of the events that lead to Val being in that bag of holding. The full details have not been DM approved, but I will post what I can once we've talked.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #182 on: October 09, 2017, 05:17:48 PM »

Based on the chat log you two were on the game for quite some time after I signed off. I'd like to hear about that.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #183 on: October 09, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
Actually that was on Saturday. I was bored and Called John to see if he would run a sewer crawl so I could catch up to Pants at level 5. I ended up exceeding 5 with all the hunting we did.

Alouishous and I went the other way in the sewers we quickly spotted a worm like creature and easily knocked it into the water. We heard lots of splashing in the water further up and saw something break the water surface a couple times. It wasn't until the giant werecroc snapped at me that we engaged it.

I managed to shoot an arrow and retreat then Al used his magic missles. The Croc actually bit me pretty hard but I used my Epee to slice my way out. Al stepped in with his quarter staff and I was able to switch back to bow. Rath got a critical strike and half blinded the crocodile. All got a couple good wacks in and the croc luckily missed him. I managed to crit again on the other eye and all dealt a death blow. We pulled the carcass up so we could get a cart later and sell the leather.

Further down the tunnel we found some stalagmites with some shiny crystals at a "T" intersection. I chose to go left and stay on the side we were on. A little way down we spotted something strange on the other side. we doubled back and checked it out. It was a tiny hole in the side of the sewer. Al did a polymorph to a rat and went ahead. He sent me a mental message he found a large cavern.

Crawling in we began to explore and found Meenlocks. They were able to teleport close to Rath and take a piece out with sharp claws. That was when we saw how many there were and decided to retreat. More kept coming and it was almost a dozen against the two of us. Al put up a fire wall so we could make the retreat. That was actually the turning point in the battle. The Meenlocks are afraid of fire and can't teleport in light.

Rath used his Faerie Fire to light another group up and we noticed a Flail Snail. Al knew it wasn't going to attack so we left it alone. Besides we had our hands full with the Meenlocks. While they retreated from the light Rath was able to pick them off one by one with his bow. Al used up all his magic in taking out some of the creatures. In the end we piled all the bodies up for the snail to feast on.

Al couldn't get out with out a polymorph so we had to rest and spend the night. The Flail snail will fetch a pretty good price on the black market and this cavern will make a great hide out for our adventures. I think I'll name the snail 'Nesa'.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #184 on: October 09, 2017, 08:52:57 PM »
(click to show/hide)

That sounds exciting!

Subject to DM adjustment, here's Val's view.

----
"This is stupid," Val said to the darkness. His voice was muffled by the strange device covering his face. The frat-boy wizards called it a gas mask when they put it on him, just before dropping him inside the bag of holding.

"Twelve hours in the bag, pledge, and we might consider letting you join us."

At the time, Val couldn't remember the name of the idiotic jerk who did the honours. Those humans all look alike, he thought. I really do need to learn their names, even if I don't plan on staying here for long.

He woke up with a start some time later, unsure of the time. The silent darkness of the bag remained, but strange patterns swirled before his eyes.

Around the same time, Rath stepped out into the street, breathing in the cool night air, sticking to the shadows. His first stop was to see if he could make use of the house key they had stolen earlier. Unfortunately there was too much activity there to get in unnoticed, so Rath set out for his next option: the house at the Wizard University. One glance told him quite a lot. Drunken young men were everywhere, many dressed in similar robes. Wizardry students having a party, he thought. One of the partygoers stumbled out to be sick under a streetlight. Rath saw that the robes were Draconian. By the time the boy finished throwing up the others were chanting and cheering about something. Perfect.

Rath circled the house, looking for an easy way in. He found a shed that was close enough to let him make a quick leap to the second story and an unlocked window. Once inside, he started searching the rooms. The first one was squalid with nothing of value inside. His nose wrinkled at the sour smell of teenaged human male. Sewers were bad, but there was something peculiarly offensive about that odour.

The second room had a ornate suite of armour that was far too big to sneak out. A larger room had some alchemy tools, and on closer look, some chemicals for transmutation. Rath pocketed the arsenic because a nice poison was always useful to have at hand.

He found a locked room next, but the lock turned out to be too complex to pick quickly, especially with the chanting coming up the stairs at the end of the corridor. He moved closer. The sound resolved to “Jen, Deb, Qualm!” It didn’t sound like an evocation, so he ignored it and went in the next room. It didn’t look like anything of value was in there, until Rath noticed a large bag in the corner. He undid the tie to look inside. The interior was filled with inky darkness. Damn. A bag of holding! Rath reached inside, holding the desire for everything in the bag to come out.

Val’s heart pounded like a smith’s hammer when something grasped his head. He found himself being pulled up out of the bag, into the light. A dark Elf stood before him – clearly a thief taking advantage of the drunken, rowdy fraternity brothers. Val glanced at the clock beside the fireplace and saw that it was 11 o’clock – just one more hour of confinement to pass this test.

Pulling off the mask, Val hissed, “What the hell are you doing?”

Rath didn’t feel threatened by a small, unarmed Half-Elven boy, despite his intensity. With a shrug, he answered with complete honesty. “I’m robbing the place while those idiots are drunk.”

“Look, I only have an hour to go to get this con working,” Val said. “An amazing job fell into my lap last night. I’m casing this place for treasures a lot more valuable than frat-boy trinkets.”

Both of them paused when they heard a heavy-footed human drunkenly stumble up the stairs. Rath drew his sword and moved to the hinged side of the door, but the footsteps thudded down the hall. Rath estimated that the drunk had gone into the locked room. I wonder if he locked it behind him?

After a few moments the hallway was quiet again, with only the muffled sounds of drunken partying.

Rath sheathed his sword and returned to Val. “What’s your name?”

“Valenti. Call me Val.”

“Rath.”

Val nodded sharply. “I’m going to need a crew to make a big heist in a few weeks. I can’t use people who are already connected to me.”

“Yeah?” Rath said. He thought for a moment, wondering if it was worth it to listen to the kid, or if he should just run him through and take the bag. The payoff of a longer scam on the University won a narrow victory over the immediate payoff of the bag. “I have some friends who might work out,” he said. “We can meet at E'Kohls at one o’clock to talk.”

“Right,” Val said. “Leave the bag where you found it and don’t steal anything significant or you’ll mess up the big score.” Val stepped into the bag. He started to sink into it as he pulled up on the opening.

“Okay, Val,” Rath said. He reached forward and closed the bag. He put it back on the floor where he found it, and immediately searched for items of value. He wasn’t ready to take orders from some kid in a bag, and besides, he’d already picked up a few items from the student’s rooms and wasn’t going to go put them back. There was nothing valuable in this room except scrolls and books that didn't interest the Drow. When the clock tower rang the third bell of the hour – fifteen minutes to midnight – he made his way out through the window, to watch as the Wizards came up to let Val out and play games in the common room.

This time Val was not nearly as surprised when he was pulled out of the bag. Remembering the sword Rath carried, he readied himself for anything. It was just about the worst scenario: Darren, arrogant prat and fraternity president, was sneering drunkenly at Val. “You survived the first test so we will consider your pledge to the house. Return at noon. Now get out.”

Another young man was lead into the room. He was a big boy, but looked nervous. As Val was pulled from the room by two frat brothers he heard Darren start in on the ‘about-to-be-bagged’ speech. Once he was outside, Val made a show of leaving.

Rath, satisfied that Val was clear, dropped down off the back porch. He made his way to E'Kohls bar to wait for Val.

Val didn’t leave for the bar right away. He figured any thief worth working with would have stolen a few things from the frat boys. He also thought Rath would be a convenient scapegoat if an investigation followed, so Val circled back to the house a few minutes later. He attempted to climb back up into the house, but slipped. With a bit of noisy scrambling he got back inside, only to discover two frat boys lounging in the room.

“Heyyyy! What are you doing here?” Val recognized the young man who spoke as one of the senior students - and also very drunk. “You were supposed to leave!”

Taking the bull by the horns, he stepped toward the young man and assumed his most charming, seductive persona. “Promise you won’t tell?” Val put his hand on the young man’s chest and leaned in close. “Darren slipped me a note telling me to meet him in his bedchamber.” Val licked his lips. So did the young man, but with nervousness. “I think he wants to give me a chance to change his mind about me.” Val trailed his hand downward, slowly enough to give his mark time to react.

The young man stepped back quickly, blushing. “Uh, are you sure it was Darren?”

“It was a note in the pocket of my coat,” Val said. “I suppose it—” He was cut off by someone shouting elsewhere in the house.

“Robbed! I’ve been robbed!”

Dammit.

The other boy was roused by the shouting. The two of them turned toward the noise. Quickly, Val said, “Can you tell Darren that I’ll need a rain check? I’ll owe you a favour…”

“Uh…yeah, ok. Just get out of here!” The boy staggered toward the door and the commotion in the house.

As soon as he was alone Val made his way to the hazing room, tucked the bag of holding in his belt, and went out the window into the night.

. . .

E’Kohls was quiet when Val walked in. He immediately identified two off-duty officers sitting at the end of the bar, drinking with grim determination. Another man sat near the taps, sipping wine.

Val found Rath at a table off to one side.

“A cop bar?” Val said by way of greeting. “You want to plan a crime at a cop bar?”

“Don’t worry about it,” Rath said. “Don’t do anything stupid we won’t have any trouble.”

Val didn’t like the idea much, but let it go.

“What did you steal?” Val asked. “I went back for the bag when someone realized some items were missing.”

“Just a little arsenic,” Rath said. “Nothing ‘too significant,’ as you put it.”

“Good,” Val said, sinking into his chair. He poured himself a cup of wine.

“So. What’s your big plan?” Rath asked.

Val took a drink and thought about his answer. “There are very powerful magical artifacts on campus, and they are not all that well protected. There’s one in the Archchancellor’s offices that looks ripe for the taking. The trick will be to survive having it. I need some time to figure out how to take it without getting caught and killed by a bunch of angry Wizards.”

“I’m interested, and I think my friends will be too.”

The young men talked for a little while about the work Rath and his friends were doing in the sewers, and the security firm they were contracted to. Val shared an abbreviated version of how he’d met his new Master. “Think about it. If I can work on the inside, we can steal a few high-value items every week or two. As long as no one can connect us, we can all put away some serious bank.”

“Ghosts!” The drunk who had been sitting at the bar lurched toward Val and Rath. “I’s seens’em!” The human fumbled with a chair for a moment, then flopped into it. He focussed on Rath with some effort. “You seen’em too!!’

“Ah, Val, ah…” Rath trailed off as the man collapsed forward, passing out on their table.

The bartender made his way over, apologizing for the intrusion. With practiced strength, he picked the man up and dragged him to the stable door of the tavern.

Rath shook his head. “We met him a little while ago. He says he can see ghosts. I don’t know what he’s drinking but it seems to work.” Changing the topic, Rath asked, “What did you take from the house?”

Val shifted slightly to pull open his cloak and show Rath the bag of holding. He quickly told the tale of collecting the bag. “They are already looking for a thief. Even if one of the drunks remembers me being there later, they are not likely to say anything. Darren isn’t one to be embarrassed by a half breed, I think.”

“You slipped climbing that wall?” Rath scoffed.

“I had a rough night,” Val said. “I like second storey work!”

“I found you locked in a bag. You sure you don’t just like humiliation?”

Val shot him a hard look.

“Fine,” Rath said. “What do you want do do about the pledge in the bag?”

“We take him somewhere out of the way, let him out, take the mask, and leave.”

Rath stared at Val for a moment, speechless.

“He’s going to think it’s part of his pledge hazing, and we get away free and clear.”

Rath continued to stare.

“We can roll him to make it look like part of the other thefts in the house. Esther way, he goes back to the university with a tale of woe, but no idea who did him. Neat and tidy, and I go back to casing the place tomorrow.”

“No,” Rath said. “That is not neat and tidy. It’s stupid and complicated and dangerous. We take him into the sewers and cut his throat,” Rath said quietly. “Simple.”

“Simple, sure,” Val said, “but not a good idea. These boys are nobles, rich, or both. They disappear and people will notice.”

“So? The city is dangerous. Hell, we’ve been hired to deal with monstrosities coming up rich people’s plumbing. The hazing coulda gone bad. There’s a million ways to explain a boy who got drunk at a party and was never seen again.”

Val sat back, troubled. He had killed, but only defending himself. This talk of casual murder? He didn’t like it at all. The two argued for a while over their wine, getting nowhere. Finally, Rath changed the subject. “I’m sick of arguing,” he said, “but I have a little B&E if you’re interested.”

Val finished his wine. “That sounds like a good idea.”

The pair left, heading back to the house that Ruth’s key would open. “We found this while helping a little old Wizard,” Rath said. He laughed. “Of course when we found it we kept it, and then helped him home so we’d know where to rob.”

“Seems reasonable,” Val said.

“This is it,” Rath said. Unlike his first visit, the house and street were both quiet now. Rath and Val scanned the area for anyone watching, but they saw no one. “I’ll open the door and we head in. Stay together for now. Small items that won’t be missed right away for now.”

“Got it,” Val said, slipping into the shadows to keep watch while Rath tried the door. It opened silently. Val followed him in.

The vestibule was large, but not opulent. A drawing room opened off to the right, and a dining room to the left. The pair agreed to head into the drawing room, byt with his first step, Val called a board to creak loudly.

Rath turned to Val with a look of disbelief and disgust on his face. Then the barking started.

Rath was out the door in the blink of an eye. Val wasn’t so quick, still surprised by his own clumsy step. He heard the dog – a very big dog – approaching quickly, and leapt out the door after Rath. He relocked the door, and bolted for the nearest entrance to the sewers. Val followed.

Once they were under the street, Val said, “I swear, I’m just having a rough night. I am totally capable of sneaking around a house!” He seemed to be talking to himself as much as he was talking to Rath.

“I guess I have to believe you,” Rath said. “No one that incompetent could possibly have survived this long in this city.” To his credit, Val nodded his agreement, with a look of self-loathing on his face.

Rath lead them deeper into the sewers, away from any alarms or possible pursuit. “That was a bust,” he said. “Have you decided what to do about your frat boy?”

Val started in again with elaborate plans to keep the bag-boy alive. Rath shook his head. You better be worth the aggravation, he thought. “Stop it!” he said, frustrated. “I’ll kill him if you’re too squeamish to do it. You just keep watch and it’ll be fine.”

Val thought for an irritatingly long time, before nodding reluctantly.

Soundlessly, Rath turned away, and lead them deeper into the sewers. His awareness of the structure of the sewers was solid, guiding them toward the shrieking tentacle mound Rath had encountered with the others the night before.

“Dump him and grab the mask,” Rath yelled. “Then push him into the tentacles.”

Val stared at him for a long moment. Finally, he opened the bag and yanked the confused inductee out. He pulled the mask from the large man’s confused head, then shoved him toward the writhing mass of screaming, writhing tentacles. The monster squeezed hard and the problem, as Rath saw it, passed out. Val was too busy running away to notice Rath turn to put an arrow into the guys heart.

They made way out of the sewer. Rath was satisfied that he could work with Val, even if he had to kill him after the job was done. The pair planned to meet up the next evening, after Val’s day of pledging at the University. They agreed that Rath would hold on to the breathing mask, as assurance that Val would not back out.

“I’m in it for the big haul,” Val said, angrily. “I’ll be back for that, and to meet your crew.” Val left with the bag, heading back toward the frat house.

As soon as he was sure Rath wasn’t following him, Val changed his route, and headed back to Multitudes. He stopped on the way, secreting the bag in a fake hornet’s nest near the roof of a local baker.

Feeling uncomfortable with his choice that night, Val returned to He’s small room at Multitudes and tried to sleep. His dreams were filled with roiling serpents and angry guilt at needless killing. When he woke he recalled little of his dreams. By the time he left for the university the only memory of the restless sleep was a sibilant voice hissing, “This shall cost.”

Online John Albert

• Well Established
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »
BTW, the Bag of Holding is embroidered with the frat's letters (Wizard fraternities use the characters of Draconic script instead of Greek letters) and crest of the fraternity.

The college has 6 schools, each in its own large building: the Enchantment Studio, the Hall of Evocation, the Hall of Abjuration, the Hall of Conjuration, the Hall of Divination, and the Hall of Transformation.

The "big score" is actually kept under lock and key in the Hall of Transmutation.

The wizard fraternity bros call their frat house "The Hall of Inebriation."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 10:15:23 PM by John Albert »

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #186 on: October 11, 2017, 11:23:41 AM »
We playing?
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #187 on: October 11, 2017, 11:47:02 AM »
I'm on for Friday. Would be night to get started sorta on time and maybe finish a bit earlier.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #188 on: October 11, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »
I'm on for Friday. Would be night to get started sorta on time and maybe finish a bit earlier.

Me too! 5 or 6pm CST?
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #189 on: October 11, 2017, 12:05:13 PM »
I will be there! Probably!
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #190 on: October 11, 2017, 12:12:23 PM »
6pm CST is 7pm my time. That works as long as we get John talking earlier.
Part of that is up to us to decide what we are doing. I'd like to show you guys the new hideout. Maybe we can make the hallway in bigger so Al can get in. Hide the door better and setup some traps.

After that i'm open to suggestions.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #191 on: October 11, 2017, 12:50:14 PM »
6pm CST is 7pm my time. That works as long as we get John talking earlier.
Part of that is up to us to decide what we are doing. I'd like to show you guys the new hideout. Maybe we can make the hallway in bigger so Al can get in. Hide the door better and setup some traps.

After that i'm open to suggestions.

Well, I too am on EST, but John is on CST, and I assume he works, so 5pm CST on a Friday is probably pushing it a whole bunch.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Online John Albert

• Well Established
« Reply #192 on: October 11, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »
5PM on a Friday might be a little too early. Let me check.

I'm in to play on Friday. Look like I have something else going on Saturday, but I could play in the afternoon. 

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
« Reply #193 on: October 11, 2017, 02:04:26 PM »
5PM on a Friday might be a little too early. Let me check.

I'm in to play on Friday. Look like I have something else going on Saturday, but I could play in the afternoon.

I'm in for playing then too.
Now where I come from
-Uptown, Prince 👉

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Valuum
« Reply #194 on: October 12, 2017, 12:17:51 AM »
I'm out with my daughter until near 7pm Eastern on Friday, and have dinner plans with the neighbours after. Daughter is in class from 5-6ET, so I can play then, and I'll be driving from 610-640ET, so I can play then. I'm good after 9ET as well.

Saturday is wide open. We can see Bladerunner on Sunday instead. :)

personate-rain