Author Topic: D&D Game  (Read 11005 times)

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
Re: D&D Game
« Reply #345 on: February 04, 2018, 09:03:11 PM »
how about now? wed night? friday?
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #346 on: February 04, 2018, 09:25:53 PM »
I'll give out XP for the current encounter once it's over.

What's the next day you guys will all be available to play?
Yeah, I didn't ask about XP because it wouldn't make sense to get experience in the middle of a fight.

It was a good session, even if it was short. But we made a mistake on the Suggestion spell. The target doesn't get a saving throw every turn; it lasts for the duration (8 hours) once the first saving throw is failed. I was confusing it with Hold Person, because they are both crowd-control spells of the same level. The only way to stop a spell like Suggestion it is to break the caster's concentration. Incidentally it would have to be concentration-based, even if it were an innate ability; "innate casting" spells in 5ed still function like regular spells.

In the context of this fight, it probably would have ended up the same way, that is to say it would have ended up failing a CON save eventually. We were hitting it 2 to 4 times per round.

There was also this matter: Using spells in the context of a multiattack action is not allowed.
But you could just decide to give the monster some Legendary Actions to make up for it.

Scheduling: Tentatively, next Friday?

Hahah yeah, or right now.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #347 on: February 04, 2018, 09:47:00 PM »
It was a good session, even if it was short. But we made a mistake on the Suggestion spell. The target
Hahah yeah, or right now.

I can play now, if you guys can.

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #348 on: February 04, 2018, 10:51:49 PM »
On my way.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #349 on: February 05, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »
Looking down the hole in the floor Rath could see the file of bones that made this pit an oubliette. It was probably a literal dead end but we had to make sure some how. Xav attached a lantern to his belt and lowered himself down with a rope. As he looked around he confirmed the hole entered into a vaulted ceiling that would make it difficult to get down.

Once we pulled Xav up it was decided to drop a flask of oil on fire to see better. This turned out to be a mistake. Lights flew up into the room and voices started to murmur up the oubliette. The spirit lights started to attack the group. Our new young friend, Draugan, got scared and tried to run up the stairs. It took a short while to swat down all the gnats and Daugan came back to his senses.

That was when the voices got louder and the wind swirled a cloud. The Caller in the Darkness threatened everyone in the room and started to lash out. Rath got the first hit in quickly and most of the team started to fight. Val started to dig at the collapsed exit while everyone else battled. Xav joined him half way through the fight. Punch fought recklessly until Rath used Faerie fire to light the cloud up. Our new team member had trouble when a suggestion popped into his head and Armand broke his staff in the battle. Part way into the digging Rath gave Xav a shovel.

When bones flew up into the room and assempled into a golem, Xav got desperate and started tossing explosive beans into the passage. Rocks sprayed everywhere but everyone ducked out of the way. When the passage was clear everyone started to make way to the exit. Once inside the small passage they thought they would be safe but the cloud was able to follow. They fought it off at the chimney and the calls stoppped. They were able to climb up to freedom leaving behind the golem.

Our heroes all hoped the rest of the way out would be easier.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #350 on: February 05, 2018, 08:48:41 PM »
My only comment on this is the use of the word "heroes" do describe us. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #351 on: February 06, 2018, 08:08:17 AM »
I would say villains not sure everyone would agree to that either.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #352 on: February 06, 2018, 11:54:27 AM »
We are victims of the system, if anything. Heroically resisting the oppressor. Like I said the other day: We still haven't killed any real people, just cops.

Definitely heroes!

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #353 on: February 06, 2018, 01:04:45 PM »
...and a frat pledge.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online John Albert

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #354 on: February 06, 2018, 01:08:57 PM »
Anti-heroes, maybe?

We're just getting to the end of Act I of the first screenplay, or the first season of the TV series and your characters have already gone through a bit of a development arc.

You guys are still in the process of escaping from prison. This is no time to be pessimistic about the future!

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #355 on: February 09, 2018, 10:36:24 AM »
Hey folks. Are we on tonight?

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #356 on: February 09, 2018, 11:34:56 AM »
I will around in the evening. 9 or 10.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #357 on: February 09, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »
sweet. I'm counting on it.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
« Reply #358 on: February 12, 2018, 03:46:36 PM »
Xavier paused at the top of the climb and the colour drained from him. Val caught up next and for once was silent. "Looks like teeth." Xav finally gathered himself and relayed down to the rest.

"Is it a Purple Worm?" Punch asked as the rest of the crew climbed up. When Rath got there he let them know it was just Stalagmites from the dripping water. They climbed past them quickly without incident.

There was another bend in the tunnel as it went up and Xav went to check. The moment he passed the bend a hidden passage opened and a giant spider came out. Rath wanted to make it a pet but the spider had other ideas dragging his friend down and into the layer.

The barbarian was a the first to leap into action and took a swing with his sword. It bounced off the thick skin of the spider and Rath came in next. He drove his weapon deep into the arachnid with some nasty damage. Then Armand came in with a sword and accidently cut Draugan instead. Val tried to poison the creature but it seemed immune or the spray did nothing to it. Draugan missed his attack and Xav just broke free.

Trying to bite Punch the momma spider missed and the babies started to jump into combat. Punch slashed at the spider again and hurt it. Rath stabbed and killed it with another deep pierce. More babies jumped off the mother spider. Punch stepped on two quickly then Armand got one. Draugan took one off the wall while Xav and Val climbed up the tunnel again. One of the babies bite Rath and he just missed stepping on it.

It took a few minutes to squish all the tiny spiders but once they did they made sure the secret tunnel had no more surprises. It wasn't an exit either.

Once at the top of the tunnel there was bars blocking the way. Punch climbed up and pushed his back into it. He strained his legs pushing and the mortar around the bars broke free. Straw fell down on eveyone below.

Daylight streamed in and blinded them all. They had to hide the hole again and wait for night. Val summoned a Raven and sent a message to Armands friends. The message back was that a group waited outside the wall to help the fugitives.

They rested in the spider nest until dark. Then everyone escaped up near the outside wall. Since they were dressed as prison guards Xav and Val lead the way. They followed the wall and ran into a group of guards. Spinning a tall tale about the escape below the guards took pity on them and gave them a stiff drink. As soon as the guards turned thier back they could proceed to the tower. Everyone followed in the dark.

Only once did the guards turn back to the wall and saw punch. They talked to him quickly and let him go find his friends. Val sent his raven to create a disctraction while they moved. The guards all thought it was an omen.

The tower was unlocked and the lead two went in. They distracted the guards inside with more stories while the rest came in and hid. One guard even offered the fugitives some food. They went down to the kitchen and got some stew. Bringing back some bowls laced with sedative they offered the other guards some seconds. They had also secretly poisoned the flask they had gotten and passed it around.

One of the guards refused to eat or drink until Xav offered up a toast to fallen comrades. It wasn't long after this that the first guard passed out. A second tried to stand and fell over. At the back of the table a guard actually clued into the poison but it was too late and Val helped him to the floor. The last guard reached for his sword but his dull senses failed him and he slumped down as well.

One all the guards were our the fugitives stripped them of weapons and armor and locked them in a store room. They made thier way up the stairs and locked the gates behind them. Up one level was a store room with more guards in a weapon room. They offered weapons to the group and everyone stocked up with what they wanted.

Another level up was where they made the arrows and bolts incase of a siege. Rath helped himself to a few quivers of each. Secretly he wondered how long thier luck would hold out and hoped he wouldn't regret not killing everyone.

Offline brilligtove

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #359 on: February 12, 2018, 10:39:11 PM »
Val savoured the simple lies he'd told the guards outside the tower. Before falling in with this band of maniacs he'd never had to flex that muscle so much. Since then he'd lied his way out of three life-or-death situations by telling almost 100% truths. I did lie outright when I said 'we just ended our shift', he thought. He had been surprised at how uncomfortable that had made him. Finding the right thing to omit, that was the key. Outright fabrications were too hard to keep track of anyways.

His merry band of maniacs were ransacking the fletcher's workshop on the third floor of the tower now. Val was thrilled to find enough tools to be able to assemble a thieve's kit. It wasn't much, but it would help him make some fast cash in the short term. The loss of his spellbook still smarted.

He sat on a crate, bouncing, to reveal it without making a lot of noise. Once it was closed he shifted uncomfortably in his new armoured Castle Guard's Uniform. It was heavy, restrictive, and chafed in places he'd spent a long time keeping supple and tender. He felt anger rising, but pushed it down. Before this debacle he had rarely felt anger or hate, preferring to take what pleasure he could from life as it came. After his stint in prison, after being tortured, after being falsely accused? His perspective had changed. He climbed the stairs to the next level of the tower with malice in his heart.

Ed, his Raven familiar, squawked in his mind. Boring, he thought. Ed was circling the tower, keeping an eye out for alarms and guards. The bird shared the delicious scent of roasting flesh with Val. I'm glad I just ate, he thought. I'm not ready to have my stomach growl over charred eyeballs.

Ed's mind was surprisingly sharp and keen, unlike the owl he'd had as his first familiar. That thing was keen-eyed, keen-eared, and sharp like a sack of hammers. Ed, though... Ed had potential.

personate-rain
personate-rain