Author Topic: D&D Game  (Read 15617 times)

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: D&D Game
« Reply #450 on: June 09, 2018, 08:11:59 PM »
What time?

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #451 on: June 10, 2018, 06:25:31 PM »
Let's say around 9? Are you all there?
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #452 on: June 10, 2018, 06:44:53 PM »
I'm idling in Discord now.

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #453 on: June 26, 2018, 01:27:46 PM »
Meet Wink, the Blink Dog

evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #454 on: July 01, 2018, 01:14:56 AM »
Between house maintenance and other running around, I got to listen to PANTS! and Armand get their asses1 kicked and then run away.

How the hell do you roll that many 1s in a row?!

----
1 They were horses, not donkeys or mules. Also, when Big Bird descended in a yellow feathered fury, our boy asked, "Don't Rocs like horses?" and in the ensuing carnage, escaped. I dunno what XP he pulled for that, but damn that was a good idea!
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #455 on: July 01, 2018, 08:53:29 PM »
Xavier gets 400 XP for defeating the mother owlbear (she had more HP and was more aggressive than your average owlbear). The roc might have attacked Xavier and Armand if the horsemen hadn't been drawing attention to themselves (and their horses) by blasting the horns.

Successfully evading the horsemen yielded another 100 XP.

So that's 500 XP total for the day, but they're literally not out of the woods yet. They've also lost their horses and 20% of their provisions, and must traverse the dread Fey Dun Forest on foot.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 08:55:49 PM by John Albert »

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #456 on: October 02, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »
Guuuuuys......
How does one calculate the CR of a threat that a group is about to face?
I want to put my lil group up against a dragon of some kind and I want it to be as scary as possible but winnable....

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #457 on: October 02, 2018, 07:33:09 PM »
Guuuuuys......
How does one calculate the CR of a threat that a group is about to face?
I want to put my lil group up against a dragon of some kind and I want it to be as scary as possible but winnable....

Help is on the way!

DM Stak's CR Calculator.   I like this one a whole bunch - it is the most intuative for me,  But there are many others

Like Donjon's  Even if you don't use this calculator you need this site in your life if you are a DM.
or 5e Tools  This also has a CR calculator for Monsters you create.
or Kobold Fight Club - this one is really well regarded in the DM community.

Just a hint, too.  In 5e one foe against many goes down quick and easy.  It just in the mechanics of the whole bounded accuracy thing.  So I always knock a point off a lone foe's CR.  It is probably better to give the dragon some minions.  Makes for a more interesting fight actually. 

And when adding in foes like dragons, demons and devils don't be afraid to give them unique powers.  If you do this though recalculate their CR.  And give your players ample warning that they will never face an out of the book "big bad".  You can drop hints both in* and out of game, but do let them know so they don't get miffed by the monster doing weird things.  Finally when experimenting make this sort of thing a Legendary power with a recharge so if it turns out to be a killer ability the critter has limited use of it.

1) The barkeep whispers in awe about the time he saw the black dragon Sycorax melt a pinned opponent with the acid that flowed from it's pores.
2) The grizzled veteran tells of an aboleth she fought that could cause a person to hallucinate to where friend fell on ally.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:49:14 PM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #458 on: October 02, 2018, 09:08:10 PM »
Personally, I wing it. Heh. Wing it. Because dragon.

Ahem.

I'm familiar enough with the system now that I can guesstimate the level of challenge a particular encounter gives a party. If I'm wrong, I fudge up or down on the fly. But I usually play modules rather than homebrew.

A good group of players will always punch above their level. When "the book" (ie, whatever tool you're using to calculate CR) says is a good challenge for a party, I always find that the party dispatches it pretty easily. Good players who understand their characters and their abilities and how they can work together, players who plan and equip accordingly, can pretty much breeze through anything that "the book" says should be challenging. I always have to go for the "deadly" challenges or above in order to make a really tough fight.

Also, consider the number of characters in the group. "The book" calculates CR for a party of four by default. If your group has five characters, they will find it considerably easier to meet a challenge. This is mainly a thing to watch out for in published modules, as most decent "the book" calculators (including, I believe, all the ones PANTS! linked to above - I've used them all) will take party size into account.

The biggest problem for low level parties is damage output. Higher CR monsters will do so much damage to lower level PCs that they run the risk of instakilling. There was an encounter in the original Horde of the Dragon Queen where the party at 3rd level encountered a group of four Assassins. The Assassins were CR8 each. I believe that the discrepancy existed in the module because HotDQ was written using the playtest rules rather than the final ones. The assassins with their poison attacks could deal more damage in one round than any 3rd level character had hit points. So that's a thing to watch out for.

Generally I've found that a good party can take whatever you throw at them. Party 5th level? Sure, hit them with that Zombie Tyrannosaurus Rex that vomits up regular zombies on its turn. They can take it. And if they can't, deus ex machina that shit.
Self-described nerd

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #459 on: October 03, 2018, 09:49:47 AM »
Personally, I wing it. Heh. Wing it. Because dragon.

Ahem.

I'm familiar enough with the system now that I can guesstimate the level of challenge a particular encounter gives a party. If I'm wrong, I fudge up or down on the fly. But I usually play modules rather than homebrew.

A good group of players will always punch above their level. When "the book" (ie, whatever tool you're using to calculate CR) says is a good challenge for a party, I always find that the party dispatches it pretty easily. Good players who understand their characters and their abilities and how they can work together, players who plan and equip accordingly, can pretty much breeze through anything that "the book" says should be challenging. I always have to go for the "deadly" challenges or above in order to make a really tough fight.

Also, consider the number of characters in the group. "The book" calculates CR for a party of four by default. If your group has five characters, they will find it considerably easier to meet a challenge. This is mainly a thing to watch out for in published modules, as most decent "the book" calculators (including, I believe, all the ones PANTS! linked to above - I've used them all) will take party size into account.

The biggest problem for low level parties is damage output. Higher CR monsters will do so much damage to lower level PCs that they run the risk of instakilling. There was an encounter in the original Horde of the Dragon Queen where the party at 3rd level encountered a group of four Assassins. The Assassins were CR8 each. I believe that the discrepancy existed in the module because HotDQ was written using the playtest rules rather than the final ones. The assassins with their poison attacks could deal more damage in one round than any 3rd level character had hit points. So that's a thing to watch out for.

Generally I've found that a good party can take whatever you throw at them. Party 5th level? Sure, hit them with that Zombie Tyrannosaurus Rex that vomits up regular zombies on its turn. They can take it. And if they can't, deus ex machina that shit.

The CR system assumes 4-6 combats encounters per long rest.  If you don't meet that quota then it will give encounters that are constantly a cake walk for the PCs.  There is a metasystem in operation here that is about resource management.  That's not to say that smart collaborators who know their character mechanics will not get the job done with less resources, but if you drop to only two to three per day it will get a bunch easier.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #460 on: October 03, 2018, 10:27:59 AM »
Thanks guys!!
Ive been winging it thusfar, our game is run in a pub and I get the guys to keep character sheets on their phones so its a paperless open table game that doesnt require continuity of players game to game.
Im improving plot and NPCs as we go which is really fun.
But this is the final boss so to speak so I want it to be something I dont ease off with as they really want a no mercy style challenge.

I put them up against my own lvl 14 character once in a non lethal fight and they got their asses handed to them so Im thinking a lvl 12 undead dragon might be fair?
They took out a lvl 10 gladiator in the last game.

Online Morvis13

• Big Ol' Goober
  • Planetary Skeptic
  • Natural Source of Paranoia
« Reply #461 on: October 03, 2018, 12:14:31 PM »
Couldn't count the number of times my level 5 character stumbled across a hungry ancient dragon.

TL;DR - roll another character.
Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
Morvis' Law: Anything that does go wrong is my fault.

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #462 on: October 03, 2018, 01:53:11 PM »
What Pants said. You should only follow the CR system if your typical adventuring day is 4 encounters or more. Otherwise, even Deadly is actually sort of easy, unless the dice turn against the party. I threw an adult dragon at a lv5-6 party and they beat it relatively easy, with a few close calls. If you want a good (and actually dangerous) final boss, he'd better have a bunch of legendary actions and minions. I just take stuff from the published books and modify it to the style of baddie I'm looking for.

What level are they, again? I might have a couple encounters you could copy off of. I used them on my players and they were properly scared. PM your email, I'll send you some stuff.

Online Harry Black

• Global Moderator
« Reply #463 on: October 03, 2018, 05:44:43 PM »
PMing now thanks!!
They are 3 lvl 5s and a lvl 6.

Online random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Well Established
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #464 on: October 03, 2018, 07:42:35 PM »
PMing now thanks!!
They are 3 lvl 5s and a lvl 6.
All right, check your inbox.

These encounters may be too hard. You'll have some small adjustments to make, haha.

personate-rain
personate-rain