Author Topic: D&D Game  (Read 15706 times)

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
Re: D&D Game
« Reply #465 on: October 03, 2018, 08:48:29 PM »
Couldn't count the number of times my level 5 character stumbled across a hungry ancient dragon.

TL;DR - roll another character.

I remember very clearly when I was running Lost Mine of Phandelver for the very first time - just after the Starter Set had been released, the players went up against a green dragon when they were level 2. We discussed the situation, and they wanted to fight it anyway, basically to test the limits of the system which at the time was brand new.

The cleric went down in the first flyby breath weapon attack. It didn't go well from there.
Self-described nerd

Offline brilligtove

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #466 on: October 03, 2018, 09:43:38 PM »
My players tend to create terrible terrible situations for themselves, so the relative power levels are not usually the concern. They're often dealing with monsters of their own creation.

When I do try to balance the power levels I tend to consider "a path to retreat" and "an option to not engage" as worth several levels of power in the enemy. :)
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Online Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #467 on: October 07, 2018, 02:59:54 PM »
I went with a CR 9 dragon. Got one instakill, the others were pretty lucky.
Then I through in a CR 8 necromancer and an undead hill giant+ 2 lvl 4 undead paladins and they got through it pretty convincingly!
The wizard and monk had a petty argument over reimbursement for spells and the wizard refused to buff the monk until it looked rough😂

personate-rain