Author Topic: New Doctor Who is a woman  (Read 1240 times)

Online Tassie Dave

• Well Established
New Doctor Who is a woman
« on: July 16, 2017, 08:09:34 PM »
 http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-40624288
Jodie Whittaker has been announced as Doctor Who's 13th Time Lord - the first woman to be given the role.

No surprise. They had hinted that it was time for a woman Doctor. Even before Capaldi got the gig.
I can't say I am familiar with her work. Which might be a good thing. No expectations.
Hopefully the fan boys embrace her.

The only disappointment for me was that I was hoping Hayley Atwell (Agent Peggy Carter) would be the first female Doctor. She had expressed a desire to do it.

The only question is, Who will be the Doctor's companion?
I would like to see a reversal of the early Doctor/Companion roles and have an elderly male as the side kick.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 08:11:41 PM by Tassie Dave »

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
Re: New Doctor Who is a woman
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 06:50:01 AM »
I can't say I am familiar with her work. Which might be a good thing. No expectations.

My thoughts exactly.

Also interesting is that according to IMDB shes coming off 4 years working on Broadchurch opposite David Tennant.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 07:07:32 AM »

My thoughts exactly.

Also interesting is that according to IMDB shes coming off 4 years working on Broadchurch opposite David Tennant.
I believe the first two seasons of Broadchurch are on Netflix, and season 3 is currently running Wednesday nights on BBC America.

I tend not to get sucked into series, but this is a good one, though tough to watch at times.

The new Dr. Who plays the mother of a murdered child in Broadchurch.
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 07:32:43 AM »
Ha.  My girls are gonna be over the moon.  This is great.
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.

Offline bimble

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 07:35:10 AM »

Hopefully the fan boys embrace her.

amusingly, it was the fan-girls on my FB feed were the ones who were less than impressed with the announcement, whereas the fan-boys were more 'meh, we'll see how it goes'
But since they hinted that Time Lords could regenerate into either sex back in 2011 (The Doctor's Wife), it's been an inevitable outcome. The only thing I've seen her in is the film 'Attack the Block' which was an ok, low budget 'aliens attack an inner-city tower block' film.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
    • http://www.yrad.com/cs
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 08:52:49 AM »
Looking forward to it. Nice change of pace. Casting females as Starbuck and Boomer was a great move. I always felt Doctor Who was a vehicle for the "odd man" or "odd person" out types to shine. Big nosed, geeks played Doctor Who and made the "type" cool. I think nerd culture is so well established, Doctor Who doesn't have to be a place where us big nosed geeks get our time in the sun. It's a chance for a kick ass woman actor to be all sexy nerd cool.

Attack the Block is a great movie to mine for the next big star too, much like IT Crowd.

Now, if you're going to come here and argue "merit! merit!" please, before you do so, list three actors you think are MORE qualified than Jodie Whittaker, are contractually free to take what could be a long running role, and are ready to work for the BBC wage. Support your claims. No handwaving.

"Because the world needs more Mark Crislip."

Conspiracy Skeptic Podcast
Korean Podcast
Michael Goudeau, Vegas Comedy Entertainer Available for Trade Shows

Offline bimble

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 09:10:00 AM »

Now, if you're going to come here and argue "merit! merit!" please, before you do so, list three actors you think are MORE qualified than Jodie Whittaker, are contractually free to take what could be a long running role, and are ready to work for the BBC wage. Support your claims. No handwaving.

Well, with Kris Marshall having finished with the BBC's 'Death in Paradise' earlier this year, he had been my favourite to take over the TARDIS.

Plays oddball well; has worked on BBC series (My family - 6 years/Death in Paradise - 4 years); just finished DiP earlier this year with his charactor replaced with Ardal O'Hanlon, so not coming back.

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 09:25:35 AM »

Well, with Kris Marshall having finished with the BBC's 'Death in Paradise' earlier this year, he had been my favourite to take over the TARDIS.

Plays oddball well; has worked on BBC series (My family - 6 years/Death in Paradise - 4 years); just finished DiP earlier this year with his charactor replaced with Ardal O'Hanlon, so not coming back.

Have two more?

Korean Podcast

Offline bimble

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 10:03:41 AM »

Have two more?

it's taken me 15 years to connect Kris' name and face!!

Ummmm, Idris Elba's name is attached to almost any project. Played DCI Luther for the BBC between 2010-15... not sure how he is at playing levity, but harking back to a more brooding Doctor (still haven't caught the end of the last season, so I'm not sure how it played out)

Ben Miller (another Death in Paradise actor - replaced by Kris Marshall), is another actor who can play more oddball characters (comic actor) who's done a lot of British TV work and stand-up. Actually appeared in an episode of Dr Who as the Sheriff of Nottingham in the Robin Hood episode in 2014.

Olivia Colman is another actor (also from Broadchurch) who could make an excellent Doctor. Like Ben Miller it wouldn't surprise me if she has already made an appearance in an earlier episode, but a lot of British actors have.

And as a left field shout out, Alexander Siddig, I'm not sure if filming is finished for the latest season of Gotham, and whether they'd want an actor who's played parts in such dark/violent shows as Gotham/GoT as recently as he has. But he has played on British TV shows as recently as 2016 (Peaky Blinders).

Of course, the issue is, are any of these actors deemed "more" qualified than Jodie Whittaker?? Certainly a couple of them were suggestions that had appeared in the media, so were names that came to people's minds ahead of Jodie. I suspect she will do a good job, it will be interesting to see how the Great British Public take to her. Some good episodes early on and she should be set fine. A couple of stinkers and...

Offline mindme

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 10:08:29 AM »
I really liked Olivia Colman in the Night Manager.

Korean Podcast

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 11:06:47 AM »
Jodie Whitaker is too pretty to play the doctor but so are most of the modern doctors.   I want the female equivalent of Tom Baker. 

In other old man complaints, It seems like lately the companions have mostly been eye candy for fan service, I hope this doctor's companion will be a 20 something pretty boy.   I vote for an as yet unknown member of the Evens clan.   

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2017, 12:43:40 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

I believe the first two seasons of Broadchurch are on Netflix, and season 3 is currently running Wednesday nights on BBC America.

I tend not to get sucked into series, but this is a good one, though tough to watch at times.

Broadchurch is amazing, and she was quite good in it (as is nearly every other person, seriously, Broadchurch is great). 

Offline Boßel

• Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
  • Frequent Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

Broadchurch is amazing, and she was quite good in it (as is nearly every other person, seriously, Broadchurch is great).

She was also in an episode of Black Mirror.

I'm waaay behind on my Doctor Who. I still need to watch the last few episodes of Matt Smith.

Offline st3class

• Not Enough Spare Time
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 01:56:22 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

She was also in an episode of Black Mirror.

I'm waaay behind on my Doctor Who. I still need to watch the last few episodes of Matt Smith.

I'm with you. I'm considering skipping over my backlog to the most episodes once she takes over, along with the new showrunner. Doctor/showrunner switchovers are usually good jumping-in points.
It's always more complicated than that.

Online wastrel

• Great poster... or greatest poster?
  • Technical Administrator
  • Science: A cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 02:22:37 PM »
Moffat is stepping back?  I missed that part.