Author Topic: Books You'll Never Brag About Having Read  (Read 4140 times)

Offline AQB24712

• Not a Euphemism.
  • Global Moderatrix
  • Too Much Spare Time
  • Did you just call me..."Bacon girl"?
Books You'll Never Brag About Having Read
« on: July 19, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
(As swiped from mindme's Facebook post.)

You're an educated, literate person. Whenever you meet someone at a cocktail party, you're perfectly capable of chatting about NPR, kale, John [sic]Stewart, and the latest Margaret Atwood. How fortunate that person doesn't ride the 8:13 train into the city with you, so they don't see you giggling at the Howard Stern podcast and flipping through "The 100 Funniest Fart Jokes In History."

From the list of 100 titles, the average number read is ten.  I clicked seven.  Although I follow Henry Rollins' philosophy of "no guilty pleasures," here're my justifications/explanations.

Quote from: Qubie
I've read seven of them, which apparently puts me in the top 54% of respondents, wtf.

In my defense, I was an adolescent American girl; most of us, I'd say, read "Forever" and "Go Ask Alice."

The Scarsdale Diet book: Again, young American woman, impressionable and hating my body.

"Peyton Place": Actually has a place in the history of American fiction.

"Flowers in the Attic," "Petals on the Wind," "The Amityville Horror": I got nothin. Except that I think I read that last one after the movie, out of that "check the source material" curiosity.
"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind."  Kurt Vonnegut
"You can bet your last money it's all gonna be a stone gas, honey."  Don Cornelius
"Wow! You spark up my entire thinking faculty."  A scammer/bot on a dating site

Offline Andrew Clunn

• Deleted
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • Aspiring Super Villain
Re: Books You'll Never Brag About Having Read
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 11:27:03 AM »
I've read three: The Bell Curve, Mein Kampf, and Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother.
I'm just the victim of my cognitive privilege

Offline DonA

• Farmer Don
  • Seasoned Contributor
  • I didn't hear nuthin.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 11:35:26 AM »
I scored 5 books off that list.

A couple I read knowing they were shitty, but read them anyway.
Not helping the situation since 1979.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »
I scored 5 but that's because I've read a bunch of Tom Clancy and some Grisham, not sure I've I've read the one's on the list.

Seems like there are quite a few I wouldn't brag about but I wouldn't be ashamed of either.  Nixon and Clinton's books for instance. 

Million little pieces, I was about half way in on vacation, then decided to look it up on google and found out it was BS, anyone who read that book and needed to be told it was at least 50% BS is a sucker.   The book is half, "I was a drug addled asshole" and half, "I was the kind of bad ass men want to be and women want to be with".   

Offline Friendly Angel

• Stopped Going Outside
  • Post count reset to zero in both forum apocalypses
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2017, 12:35:01 PM »
I will just say that The DaVinci Code was way better than it gets credit for. 
Amend and resubmit.

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2017, 04:02:48 PM »
inb4 PDB Kanye's this thread and declares Bell Curve the best book of all time.   :laugh:

Thanks to not reading much after high school and being pretentious in my current book selections, I scored a whopping zero.  The only book on my "to read" list I see there is the Doris Kearns Goodwin book about the Kennedys.  I'm assuming the criterion for selecting it was essentially "find an overly fawning book about the Kennedys that plays into the Camelot mythos".  Or was it the self plagiarism stuff?

I think I have the opposite problem as the one expressed in this list.  The only reason I'd hesitate to bring up a book in casual conversation is not because it was trashy, but fear of looking pretentious.  For example, I would readily claim that I learned something interesting about Alexander Hamilton from the musical rather than admit I wasted an entire month slogging through the Ron Chernow bio.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Double-Plus Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2017, 05:20:48 PM »
Whoa, what? Why would they put Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on that list? And Das Capital? And some innocuous biographies? (Come on, the Clintons and Justin Bieber are as infamous as Hilter and OJ?)

The only one on there I've read is The Da Vinci Code and I agree that it's the worst. My mother gave it to me, all like "omg you have to read this!" Not cool, mom.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Mr. Beagle

• Stopped Going Outside
    • When God Plays DIce
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2017, 05:51:50 PM »
"Listen to the Warm" by Rod McKuen. I have long thought "real poets" were too hard on Rod (and likely jealous of his financial success).
Mister Beagle
The real world is tri-color
now blogging at http://godplaysdice.com

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 07:11:26 PM »
The two Dan Brown novels and Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

Whoa, what? Why would they put Pride and Prejudice and Zombies on that list? And Das Capital? And some innocuous biographies? (Come on, the Clintons and Justin Bieber are as infamous as Hilter and OJ?)

The only one on there I've read is The Da Vinci Code and I agree that it's the worst. My mother gave it to me, all like "omg you have to read this!" Not cool, mom.

If the theme is "books you wouldn't brag about reading," I think Bieber still fits the bill, but I figure any former president's bio is probably worth a read.

I remember thinking the Dan Brown books were dumb fun, I read them both on flights and had no regrets. P&P&Z shouldn't be on that list!
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 07:44:53 PM »
5. 3 are bad. 2 are My Life/Clinton and P&P&Z which are not bad.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 08:19:46 PM »

Well tell us the bad ones!!  >:D
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline random poet

• That's bullshit!
  • Double-Plus Poster
  • On n'a jamais le temps, le temps nous a.
    • I have a LJ
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 08:25:01 PM »

It was The Gossip Girl. All three times.
Aujourd'hui j'ai vu un facteur joyeux.

Offline Caffiene

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 08:55:26 PM »
2. I think...

Ive read both the Dan Brown books. I dont know that Id brag, but they were completely acceptable popcorn action / dumb fun.

I may have read the Tom Clancy one, but I cant remember. Ive read a bunch of Clancy books (and "Tom Clancy on the cover but actually written by somebody else" books). Tended to read more of the pulp near-future sci-fi type stuff that was put out under his name though.
[Lurk Mode Disengage]

Offline amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 09:56:40 PM »

Mr. Hubbard x2 (the fiction, not Dianetics). Battlefield Earth is worth a read. The Mission: Earth stuff is entirely forgettable.
Von Danniken (for research purposes)
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Offline arthwollipot

• Too Much Spare Time
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 10:06:49 PM »
I've read 3. The two Dan Browns and Battlefield Earth.

Yes, I've read Battlefield Earth. It wasn't very good, but it was better than the movie.
Self-described nerd

personate-rain
personate-rain