Author Topic: Books You'll Never Brag About Having Read  (Read 4715 times)

Offline aleks335

• Not Enough Spare Time
  • I don't have any problem violating my own insights
Re: Books You'll Never Brag About Having Read
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2017, 05:05:51 AM »
I have only read one of these.
Capital by Marx (vol 1. that is), and I'll definitely talk about that at parties, if given the chance.
(no, I don't always do well at parties).
And to be honest, Captial has nothing to do on this list, the other "political" books here is of a completely different category. 
The Communist Manifesto should be on this list instead I think. Capital is a study of capitalism, this is where he outlines his theory of value etc. The Communist Manifesto is his political program, they are works of completely different nature.
(my score would also go up as I have read it twice)

But maybe this is a cultural thing. Marx was never the great evil here in Norway. Our labour party (social-democrats after ww2 and have now turned neo-liberal light) was in the COMINTERN from 1918 to 1923.  I read the Manifesto for the first time at 15, and my christian parents saw nothing remarkable in this other than me reading something voluntarily.
“I quite realized,” said Columbus
“That the earth was not a rhombus,
But I am a little annoyed
To find it an oblate spheroid.”

Offline Louie

• Actually three chimps tag-teaming a keyboard.
  • God Emeritus
  • Frequent Poster
  • Let the elephant make everything kushtee.
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2017, 01:19:27 PM »
I'm with Caffiene. I just went ahead and clicked the Grisham and all of the Clancy's (although f**k knows which ones I've actually read), as well as the Dan Brown books. Those are all just populist thrillers, though. I wouldn't brag about having read them, but it doesn't embarrass me at all. Decent beach and campsite fare.
"It can't end like this. Tell them I said something." - Pancho Villa's last words (1923).

Offline PANTS!

• One leg at a time.
  • Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
  • What seals? I auditioned for this job.
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2017, 03:57:38 PM »
HA.  I have read 17 - as an estimate.  I will say that some of those I have not completed.  I will abandon a book that I think is a waste of time.   What got me a high score was reading the Tim LaHaye books as an exercise in irony.  That and discovering my parent's literary smut collection when going through puberty.  May as well finish the damn Danielle Steele book now, said my 13 yo self, I owe her that much.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 10:32:08 AM by PANTS! »
Now where I come from
We don't let society tell us how it's supposed to be
-Uptown, Prince 👉

The world is on its elbows and knees
It's forgotten the message and worships the creeds

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2017, 06:05:32 PM »
I'm with Caffiene. I just went ahead and clicked the Grisham and all of the Clancy's (although f**k knows which ones I've actually read), as well as the Dan Brown books. Those are all just populist thrillers, though. I wouldn't brag about having read them, but it doesn't embarrass me at all. Decent beach and campsite fare.
I enjoyed them. Yeah, they're not exactly intellectual, but they're the kind of thumb-in-bum-mind-in-neutral reading for when you just want to kill time in a not unpleasant way.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline Tassie Dave

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2017, 02:35:49 AM »
I was made to read "Jonathan Livingstone Seagull" in Primary School by a teacher who thought it was deeper than it actually was. So that doesn't really count.

The only one I chose to read was "Battlefield Earth". Back in the 80s. Before I knew who and what an asshat L. Ron Hubbard was.

It was "ok" for a trashy sci-fi novel.

Offline Paul Blevins Jr.

• Keeps Priorities Straight
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2017, 03:54:27 PM »
Just four.

Chariots of the Gods As a kid in the early seventies, I was really into UFOs, ancient astronauts, Bigfoot, Nessie and devoured a ton of books on 'em. Result of all that reading? I eventually realized it was all bullshit.

Debt of Honor I greatly enjoyed the movie Hunt for Red October and the Harrison Ford Jack Ryan movies. So I started reading the Clancy novels that followed Clear and Present Danger. Clancy could really have used a better editor, the books were all FAR too long. But surprisingly, I didn't find them as hard far-right as I had feared.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull  Again, I was a kid of the seventies. This and the movie were really huge in the early seventies.

The Amityville Horror  Read at the time (late seventies)it just to see what all the hype was. Found it kind of scary (as a NOVEL, by this point I totally rejected the existence of ghosts) but ultimately under-whelming.

Offline Harry Black

• International Man of Mystery
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 06:38:39 AM »
Only two- The Lance Armstrong book and The Da Vinci Code.
I think the Jack Reacher books should be added to the list.
Im very suspicious though of people who never seem to read a bad book. I think if you arent picking bad ones then you arent taking enough chances and steps outside your comfort zone.

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 09:22:15 AM »
I don't remember there being any clive cussler on the list, he's Tom Clancy for poor readers. 

Online John Albert

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 11:30:26 AM »
I've read 3. The two Dan Browns and Battlefield Earth.

Yes, I've read Battlefield Earth. It wasn't very good, but it was better than the movie.

Online SkepticalEsquire

• Well Established
  • Cthulhu is Love
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2017, 11:40:42 AM »
Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman and, Ramtha by Ramtha  (JZ Knight).  For awhile in my late teens I was all  new agey and deep and brooding ::).  Embarrassing as hell now.
Canada -Land of shitty music and bears.

Online amysrevenge

• Baseball-Cap-Beard-Baby Guy
  • Stopped Going Outside
  • The Warhammeriest
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2017, 11:46:00 AM »

Yes, I've read Battlefield Earth. It wasn't very good, but it was better than the movie.

The second half of BE (book), starting after they retake the Earth, is solid entertaining SF. Credit where it's due.
Big Mike
Grande Prairie AB Canada

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2017, 02:15:50 PM »
I've read six of them, the 2 Dan Browns, the 2 John Grishams, Jonathan Livingston Seagull & Chariots of the Gods.  The last two I read when I was 12 or 13, maybe.  They're pretty old books.  The Browns books and the Grisham books are like eating junk food.  I'm not really proud of it, but, at the time, it tasted pretty, pretty okay.  :laugh:
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Online Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »

The second half of BE (book), starting after they retake the Earth, is solid entertaining SF. Credit where it's due.

My brother read 5 or six Hubbard books.  I am a huge sci-fi fan, but I just couldn't get into Hubbard.
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2017, 05:16:05 PM »

Yes, it's about as entertaining as E. E. Doc Smith, which is to say reasonably entertaining so long as you take the social mores of the time into account.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.
Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiarii?

Offline Ah.hell

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2017, 05:21:14 PM »

Yes, it's about as entertaining as E. E. Doc Smith, which is to say reasonably entertaining so long as you take the social mores of the time into account.
I loved the lensmen series as a kid but I've tried reading them as an adult.......not so much.

personate-rain
personate-rain