Author Topic: Books You'll Never Brag About Having Read  (Read 5148 times)

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
    • Hyperwar, WWII in Hypertext.
Re: Books You'll Never Brag About Having Read
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »
I've read 3. The two Dan Browns and Battlefield Earth.

Yes, I've read Battlefield Earth. It wasn't very good, but it was better than the movie.

The second half of BE (book), starting after they retake the Earth, is solid entertaining SF. Credit where it's due.

Yes, it's about as entertaining as E. E. Doc Smith, which is to say reasonably entertaining so long as you take the social mores of the time into account.
I loved how the "less than perfect" strains of beings like humans were sometimes carried by women. The GOOD strain was straight male all the way down.  ::)
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2017, 04:17:21 AM »
When I was in college I read The Art of Dreaming by Carlos Castaneda.

Offline Ah.hell

• Poster of Extraordinary Magnitude
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2017, 09:57:23 AM »

Yes, I've read Battlefield Earth. It wasn't very good, but it was better than the movie.

The second half of BE (book), starting after they retake the Earth, is solid entertaining SF. Credit where it's due.

Yes, it's about as entertaining as E. E. Doc Smith, which is to say reasonably entertaining so long as you take the social mores of the time into account.
I loved how the "less than perfect" strains of beings like humans were sometimes carried by women. The GOOD strain was straight male all the way down.  ::)
First read them when I was maybe 10, went back at read one or two as an adult.  Really noticed the sexism and racism the second time.

Offline Swagomatic

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2017, 12:03:59 PM »

Yeah, or The Tao of Physics, by Fritjof Capra  :laugh: :-[
Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.
---George Bernard Shaw

Offline Drunken Idaho

• Natural Blonde
  • Reef Tank Owner
  • Comrade Questions
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
Im very suspicious though of people who never seem to read a bad book. I think if you arent picking bad ones then you arent taking enough chances and steps outside your comfort zone.

I had to think about this a bit...

On one hand, you're absolutely right about not taking enough chances.

On the other hand, almost everything I read (or watch, for that matter) is related to something I already like, or recommended to me by people whose tastes I either share, or interest me... and there's already more material that I want to consume than I every practically could.
Strange women lying in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2017, 08:01:31 PM »

First read them when I was maybe 10, went back at read one or two as an adult.  Really noticed the sexism and racism the second time.
And the utterly black-and-white nature of the struggle.

But the fun part was that Kit Kinnison had exactly four females that were fit to carry on his huge evolutionary baggage.

Did I mention he had four sisters, all with the same huge evolutionary baggage?
"Sunday's horoscope is note worthy because of its strange, sudden and wholly unpredictable and inexplicable occurrences, affecting all phases of life." Your Horoscope" L.A. Evening Herald Express, Sat, 12/06/41

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2017, 10:27:52 PM »

I read a lot of other woo books over the years, books by Erich Von Daniken, Terence McKenna, Colin Wilson, even Whitley Strieber. But I never afforded any credibility to any of them.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2017, 04:24:57 AM »

I read a lot of other woo books over the years, books by Erich Von Daniken, Terence McKenna, Colin Wilson, even Whitley Strieber. But I never afforded any credibility to any of them.
Ever read any of the Frank Edwards books? He invented woo.  ;D

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2017, 08:11:57 AM »
Wait - I just realised that I've been misreading the title of this thread all along.

The title is actually "Books you'll never brag about having read", not "Books you'll brag about never having read".

Damn. That changes everything.
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »
Yeah, there are actually two anti- bragging about books threads. This one is about books you never brag about having read, and the other is about books you do brag about not having read.

Right now they're #1 and #2 on the first page of the "Books" subforum, so be careful! ;)

Offline John Albert

• Too Much Spare Time
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2017, 10:30:54 AM »
Ever read any of the Frank Edwards books? He invented woo.  ;D

I have not.

But at this point I'm going through something of a midlife crisis over the magnitude of the body of literature that I will never have time to get through in my remaining lifetime. So I'm rather past the point of wasting time on stuff I explicitly don't care about.

Online arthwollipot

• Reef Tank Owner
  • Observer of Phenomena
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2017, 06:33:20 PM »
Yeah, there are actually two anti- bragging about books threads. This one is about books you never brag about having read, and the other is about books you do brag about not having read.

Right now they're #1 and #2 on the first page of the "Books" subforum, so be careful! ;)
Okay, now I'm completely confused!  :D
Self-described nerd. Pronouns: He/Him.

Tarvek: There's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it.
Agatha: If that's what you think, then you're DOING IT WRONG!

Offline Sawyer

• Well Established
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2017, 01:00:38 AM »

Okay, now I'm completely confused!  :D

How about we start "Reds That Bragged About Never Having Bookies", a thread about Pete Rose denying betting on baseball games?

Offline Tatyana

• Frequent Poster
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2017, 07:30:24 AM »
I don't understand  why 'Less than Zero' by Bret Easton Ellis was on the list.

Offline Noisy Rhysling

• Stopped Going Outside
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2017, 08:02:41 AM »
I don't understand  why 'Less than Zero' by Bret Easton Ellis was on the list.
Which one?

:D